Arcadia cruise 21 October 2005

Bob the banker

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my husband Richard and I will be on this cruise. I booked it thru Gillett Cruises some months ago as it was on special promotion. We also have a balcony cabin - a grade CG balcony on D deck.

The Arcadia looks fantastic. There was a flyer in the Mail of Sunday magazine and the stateroom with balconies look really spacious. I also like the look of the tiered dining room. I have never been with P&O before but have travelled with Princess, RCI, Celebrity & NCL and can honestly say every single cruise has been fantastic.

The only thing I am worried out is being seasick. This will be our first transatlantic crossing. Is this your first?

We have almost a year to wait till our cruise - talk about planning ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lesley I have been on a transatlantic crossing several years ago on Costa Romantica. I have also cruised from Southampton to Cape Town on QE2. I don't think that you need to worry about getting sea sick. last time we crossed the Atlantic was wonderful. Long lazy days at sea and plenty of sun. The sea was ok just a slight swell which rocked you to sleep on an evening. By the way you and my son share the same birthday. We are on this cruise because I will be 50 on the day we arrive in Antigua.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Lesley. looks like you got a good bargain when you booked this cruise. our cabin cost £1400. each, but still a good price for a balcony cabin.

I have booked a flight from Leeds to Southampton day before we sail for the bargain price of £0.60 each plus taxes. Better than spending hours on the free bus service from Manchester airport to Southampton which P&O are providing. Think we are going to stay at a Holiday Inn in Southampton the night before we sail.

• 2 weeks later...

We are off on the Costa Magica 24th Mar for 11 nights. Never been on a Costa ship before. I have also (fingers crossed) been offered a 7 night cruise on the MSC Melody on 11th July for the total price of £10 thru the Daily Express. No doubt I will be in the bowels of the ship but for £10 - who cares!

• 1 month later...

We will be sailing on the Arcadia's first cruise down to the Caribbean, celebrating our anniversary. Usually go Princess but opted for something different this time. Leaving the car in Manchester airport and taking the free bus down to Southampton, does anyone know how long this takes and what time the bus leaves, any detours along the way. Will we be later getting on board than everyone else making their own way there?:confused:

Richard and Gill

Hi Richard. I thought it was the 1st crossing and was getting a bit worried about whether she'd stand up to it!!! We are leaving our car at Birmingham airport & being bused to Southampton by P&O. I don't know how long the trips take but we probably will be a bit later than everyone else. I've just been looking at a few posts before this one and they are saying you have to pay £2 each for breakfast in your cabin and there is also a charge for room service. I do hope this is not the case. We love Princess as well and have been on the Dawn Princess twice (the price was right). Still, we thought we'd see what P&O had to offer.

I've been sent the Cruise Critic newsletter and they had a piece on the Arcadia. I downloaded it and it states "delivery of a simple Cont breakfast costs 2 GBP". Why has the charge been dropped? Was there a revolt?

This will be the 1st cruise where there will be tea & coffee making facilities. Maybe they think people just want a quick cup of coffee in the morning then go to the buffet/rest for breakfast.

Is there still a room service charge for other items? I suppose we'll find out all the little details when we get onboard, although it took 2 cruises before we realised we could have breakfast in our cabin!!! Duh.

I've been sent the Cruise Critic newsletter and they had a piece on the Arcadia. I downloaded it and it states "delivery of a simple Cont breakfast costs 2 GBP". Why has the charge been dropped? Was there a revolt?

This will be the 1st cruise where there will be tea & coffee making facilities. Maybe they think people just want a quick cup of coffee in the morning then go to the buffet/rest for breakfast.

Is there still a room service charge for other items? I suppose we'll find out all the little details when we get onboard, although it took 2 cruises before we realised we could have breakfast in our cabin!!! Duh.

Yes there was a revolt by passengers and a lot of emails to P&O complaining about it.

People power strikes again. I was recently on a Costa cruise where there was a 2 Euro charge for room service however - continental breakfast had no charge. I think P&O would have been the only cruise line charging for breakfast. Let's hope they don't try and recoup the money elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are also on this cruise. FIL will be taking us down the day before and will stay in a hotel in Southampton. Can't wait to see the Arcadia.

We've booked a Stateroom with balcony on A deck - reall good deal as well. Never been on a cruise before so am really looking forward to it.

Any idea how many formal nights there will be?

No idea about the formal nights. Probably quite a few while we are at sea I expect. Its so exciting. I rang a travel agent yesterday to book the car parking at Birmingham airport and told her I was on the Arcadia and she told me she had tried everything to get on the Arcadia this year and that everything was booked up!! She was hoping to go in Oct the same as us but with no luck. How long ago did everyone book? I think we booked in July last year.

We booked in June last year - it might seem like a long time ago but well worth it.

Will have to go on a shopping spree now for the formal evenings etc - well you just have to don't you!!!! Will start making a list. My hubbie will dispare with me but its also for his benefit ;)

So I presume you will be flying back to Birmingham like ourselves? We have booked a stateroom on A deck - really looking forward to waking up in the mornings with our balcony view.

Not only the first time on a cruise ship, but the first time on this message service. must say the comments are a lot more refreshing than what I normally get on the CC on P& O Both the wife and myself are looking forward to going on the Arcadia in Oct ,to the Caribbean.. We are in a stateroom with balcony on "C" deck, and although we both have some migivings, it cannot come quick enough for us > cheers Hope you have a marvellous time

SCHEME1

Are you on our cruise? We are in a CG cat cabin on D deck.

I believe you can book excursions 3 months in advance but haven't looked into that in too much detail yet.

I expect we'll all have cabin fever by the time we get to the Azores so may look into organising something there.

Antigua we have been to before so will probably do our own thing.

Tortola is new to us and have heard about "The Baths" so may look to visit there. Don't know if I'll go on an organised trip though. Some people have recommended http://www.speedysbvi.com which has a special for $35 ferry, taxi, lunch. The lunch is at The Bath & Turtle set in the midst of the best shopping on the islands with the best selection of burgers, fish dishes, pastas, salads and pizzas. It is located in the Yacht Harbour. According to Cruise Critic this restaurant offers "casual dining in small courtyard. Burgers, pizzas, seafood, wraps, rotis, salads and totally top-notch fish & chips. Entrees run from about $7 thru $15. Dont miss the national drink of the BVI, the Painkiller.

Other people recommend http://www.islandsonline.com/smithsferry.

I think you can get a deal that includes ferry, return taxi (actually an open jitney bus) for under $25.

The ferry ride is approx 45 mins each way. The taxi to the Baths is 5 mins.

To make the most of The Baths people suggest spending about 4 hrs there.

Seemingly you have to make sure the taxi is included there & back as they don't volunteer this info - and keep your return ticket as you'll need to show it.

Someone else suggested Patouche who offer tours totally by water, after sailing to Virgin Gorda they take you by dinghy to the beach at The Baths.

I think the ships tour to The Baths is approx $49 each.

Someone suggested grabbing a cab to Brewers Bay Beach (seemingly Cane Garden Bay had a problem with water pollution). It took 20 mins and cost $6 per person each way. Brewers Bay is a beautiful beach, not huge, but a good size with lots of trees for shade, good snorkeling and a beach bar.

Beach chairs are for rent at $5.

St Martin we have been to before. Dominica is new to us so will have to do some research. St Lucia we have been to before but wouldn't mind doing an island tour or some such like.

I dont think we'll have time to do anything in Barbados unless there's a ships tour in the morning with a drop off at the airport.

SCHEME1

I believe you can book excursions 3 months in advance but haven't looked into that in too much detail yet.

I expect we'll all have cabin fever by the time we get to the Azores so may look into organising something there.

Tortola is new to us and have heard about "The Baths" so may look to visit there. Don't know if I'll go on an organised trip though. Some people have recommended www.speedysbvi.com which has a special for $35 ferry, taxi, lunch. The lunch is at The Bath & Turtle set in the midst of the best shopping on the islands with the best selection of burgers, fish dishes, pastas, salads and pizzas. It is located in the Yacht Harbour. According to Cruise Critic this restaurant offers "casual dining in small courtyard. Burgers, pizzas, seafood, wraps, rotis, salads and totally top-notch fish & chips. Entrees run from about $7 thru $15. Dont miss the national drink of the BVI, the Painkiller.

Other people recommend www.islandsonline.com/smithsferry.

I think you can get a deal that includes ferry, return taxi (actually an open jitney bus) for under $25.

Seemingly you have to make sure the taxi is included there & back as they don't volunteer this info - and keep your return ticket as you'll need to show it.

Someone else suggested Patouche who offer tours totally by water, after sailing to Virgin Gorda they take you by dinghy to the beach at The Baths.

Someone suggested grabbing a cab to Brewers Bay Beach (seemingly Cane Garden Bay had a problem with water pollution). It took 20 mins and cost $6 per person each way. Brewers Bay is a beautiful beach, not huge, but a good size with lots of trees for shade, good snorkeling and a beach bar.

St Martin we have been to before. Dominica is new to us so will have to do some research. St Lucia we have been to before but wouldn't mind doing an island tour or some such like.

I dont think we'll have time to do anything in Barbados unless there's a ships tour in the morning with a drop off at the airport.

On the 518 trip to Caribbean leaving Southampton on 21st October. Thanks for all the advice and information. HOPE TO TO SEE YOU THERE

SCHEME1

Tortola is new to us and have heard about "The Baths" so may look to visit there. Don't know if I'll go on an organised trip though. Some people have recommended www.speedysbvi.com which has a special for $35 ferry, taxi, lunch. The lunch is at The Bath & Turtle set in the midst of the best shopping on the islands with the best selection of burgers, fish dishes, pastas, salads and pizzas. It is located in the Yacht Harbour. According to Cruise Critic this restaurant offers "casual dining in small courtyard. Burgers, pizzas, seafood, wraps, rotis, salads and totally top-notch fish & chips. Entrees run from about $7 thru $15. Dont miss the national drink of the BVI, the Painkiller.

Other people recommend www.islandsonline.com/smithsferry.

On the J518 from Southampton on 21st October.. Thanks for the info and advice. Hope to see you there Cheers Ken and Cynth

Archived