NCL Offering Studio Staterooms for Solo Cruisers - Anyone Know The Details?

Roz

Like the rest of you, I'm sure, I get a gazillion e-mails every week from various cruise lines. Today I got one from NCL regarding their new "Epic" ship. Even though I've never sailed NCL, I read the e-mail because I like reading about new ships. The thing that caught my eye was this:

New accommodations offering unique alternatives to suit your needs:

• Maximize your living area with our New Wave Staterooms

• Travel solo, if you like, in a Studio Stateroom

• Spa lovers can relax in dedicated Spa Staterooms

• Or just sail in the lap of luxury in The Villas

Studio Staterooms for solo travelers? I'm assuming they would be akin to a studio apartment - small cabins with a single bed or a pull-down bed arrangement.

Anyone know anything more? I'm curious as to how many studios the Epic will have, and how the pricing will compare with the other categories of staterooms. When I checked out the e-mail further, I was able find photos of what the cabins are going to look like. The studio looks like a very "snug" inside cabin.

Roz

I'm sort of answering my own question. :D Here's what I found on NCL's website:

"For the budget-conscious traveler, Norwegian also unveiled a new category of inside staterooms - The Studios. A first in design for the cruise industry, these ultra-modern staterooms maximize space and feature a large, round window that looks out into the corridor, along with customizable color changing light effects that mirror different stages of the day or the guest's mood, including a love setting for those romantic nights at sea. The Studios occupy two decks and have exclusive key-card access to the Living Room, a two-story shared private lounge. The area is a two-floor lounge which features a concierge, bar, room service, two large TV screens, and comfy seating for hanging out, reading a book or just enjoying a cocktail before dinner."

Sounds interesting...but I don't know about the love setting for those romantic nights at sea, especially for the solo cruiser. :eek:

Roz

I'm sort of answering my own question. :D Here's what I found on NCL's website:

"...and feature a large, round window that looks out into the corridor...

Roz

Into the CORRIDOR?? Who wants to look out at the hallway?

For some reason, this makes me think of Amsterdam's famous "red-light" district with its windows showing passersby who is available.

NCL's new studio cabin sounds like it is very cramped. But, maybe it'll be a good thing for us solo travellers after all. I hope so.

Interesting concept and I'm glad to see NCL is acknowledging the solo market. I agree with Tenngal about that porthole looking into the hallway. What kind of view is that? And the lounge area makes the whole thing sound like a college dorm setup. Oh, if my dorm lounge had only had a bar and conciege... :D

I'm sure there will be lots of solo cruisers who will jump at these cabins, but I can't imagine not having a balcony. Yes, I'm spoiled. :p

Diane

From what I heard and saw, those rooms are more modern-chic, include the living room with its concierge service, but are smaller (100 sq ft) than inside cabins and will sell for the same price as inside cabins.

You can find pictures and info on the NCL Board.

If they charge no single supplement at all (or a very low one), it would be an option I would consider when sailing solo. I never cruise solo with a 200% supplement anyway.

I'm guessing that the window that looks out on the corridor (one would assume it has a curtain that can be drawn :D ) would have the effect of making the cabin appear larger and less claustrophobic.

Love the comments about Amsterdam's red light district and the college dorm set-up!

Agreed...I don't do solo cruises where I'm charged double.

I would be willing to give this new concept a try.

Roz

I wonder if any of the other cruise lines will try a similar concept with their new builds? Seems like NCL is an innovator of sorts. They were the first with freestyle, and they tried the all American crew ships on their 7-day Hawaiian itineraries. Hawaiian venture didn't work out, but freestyle, at least with dining, has been copied by other lines.

Roz

This concept does sound interesting in many ways (besides the obvious opportunity for an enterprising working girl from Amsterdam ...vacation, and work off the fare!).

I wonder why NCL thinks these cabins need their own living room and concierge? Aren't there enough lounges on the ship without a dedicated one for solos? I can't believe NCL is going the extra mile to make a lounge just for solos.

Another thought: A bunch of solo cabins with a private bar and living room? ...sounds like an open invitation to groups (college kids, family reunions, alternate lifestyle groups, etc. etc.), for better or worse.

Personally I've cruised with a balcony and with inside cabins (and I too never pay 200% unless it's still a great deal, as was my Hawai'i cruise on Pride of Aloha). And I find I don't use the cabin very much, just for sleeping and dressing, and cleaning up. So a cabin without the solo supplement would be a BIG draw for me.

When I sailed NCL the ship was great and so were the crew ...but NCL's so-called "customer service" (stateside 800#) was downright contemptuous toward me as a solo. Let's hope that has changed.

Here's a link to a rendering of the studio stateroom:

http://epic.ncl.com/accommodations/images/Epic_StudioStateroom_rendering.jpg

Note the bathroom is in the room;

I can't see the toilet, so I don't know if it has a door or not.

No sign of a closet either, but maybe it's next to the toilet.

Bad idea having carpet in the bathroom area.

A double (or queen?) size bed is interesting ...maybe NCL intends to designate this cabin as a 2-person cabin, but also make it available to solos with no supplement (but I'll believe that when I see it).

The TV should be on the wall straight in front of the bed (though I see that's where the door is), or at least at a better angle to the bed.

And finally ...look at that window, right over the bed!! :eek: This cabin is a dream come true for voyeur's and exhibitionist's! :D

In my above post I rearranged the sentence with "voyeur's" and "exhibitionist's", which now should not be possessive ...but CC won't let me fix it.

Also, now that I've looked at the rendering of the exterior of Epic, I see that I won't be sailing her. It appears all the newer ships are abandoning a promenade deck (none on Solstice, none on Oasis, none on Epic). An ocean cruise with no outside promenade, near the water, is just not a cruise I'm interested in. Plus people are already complaining (see Solstice posts) about the one or two open decks, about a mile above the water, and the lack of room for thousands of passengers, especially when everyone wants to be on deck.

The NCL website says the maximum occupancy for the rooms is 2, as opposed to 4 in the regular inside cabins. So they're not strictly being marketed to solo cruisers.

Surely there's got to be a door for the toilet. :eek: If nothing else, what if you're indisposed :D and can't get to the door and the cabin steward or room service walks in on you.

Roz

In fact, the room is supposed to be double occupancy but this would only work for couple since I THINK it's a queen bed that cannot be made as two single beds.

IF NCL charges no single supplement or a very low one, it will be nice but I haven't read anything about that from them.

I agree that it might be a good option for groups but many people wouldn't sail without a balcony so I don't know how it would work to share the living room with those too if it's booked by a group.

I agree with Ryan...lack of a promenade deck is a negative for me. If I were to have a cabin without a balcony, I'd certainly want access to an open deck area down closer to the water. It's such a nice experience to stand at the promenade balcony and watch and hear the water lapping close by. (Plus, it's a good vantage point to look for sea critters!)

I'm really looking forward to sailing on Oceania this September. This will be the smallest cruise ship I've ever sailed. I'll be in an inside cabin, which I haven't done in a long time. But, the cruise is port-intensive, so there's little time to lounge around in the cabin anyway. It will be interesting to see how this smaller ship will compare to the big ones. I'll probably come back spoiled...well, more spoiled than I already am, if that's possible!

An ocean cruise with no outside promenade, near the water, is just not a cruise I'm interested in.

That's one of the reasons I like HAL's ships. That wonderful wrap around teak promenade with great loungers is just about the best place on the ship...besides my verandah. :D

Diane

IF NCL charges no single supplement or a very low one, it will be nice but I haven't read anything about that from them.

Ah, the details.

The price, what will the price be? That is what it all comes down to.

Rich

Ah, the details.

The price, what will the price be? That is what it all comes down to.

Rich

Rich, you're so right. The main thing is what are we going to pay. I think that if NCL came in with a no single supplement, they will have a lot of singles that haven't cruised them before on one of their cruises to at least try it out. I know that I would at least try a cruise with them if the price was right.

-Mark

I don't know the exact price but they say those rooms will be the same price as regular inside cabins (less space but you get a common lounge with concierge and a more techno room).

If those cabins don't sell very well (what I think will happen), they might lower (or eliminate) the single supplement and it's what we are hoping for.

For the same price as a standard inside, I choose the standard inside if cruising with DBF. If they have a very low single supplement, then I choose a studio without a second thought (they look good despite their small size and I don't need much room anyway + the concierge service would be nice + the living room is probably a good place to meet other solo travellers for chit chat).

OK, I know I'm going into a touchy subject but you know what I thought about those rooms the first time? I think the Gay Cruises that book partial ships (not full ships) might be very interested in those. Lots of single men and some gay couples and I think many gay people will be interested by the look/techo feeling of the studios + they would get this private lounge were they could hold hands, kiss, etc. without feeling out of place or offending some of the other passengers (I'm not one to be offended by a simple kiss but unfortunately, I know some are offended just to see men holding hands). Those rooms would work for other types of groups too but not as much as this one.

I think many gay people will be interested by the look/techo feeling of the studios + they would get this private lounge were they could hold hands, kiss, etc. without feeling out of place or offending some of the other passengers (I'm not one to be offended by a simple kiss but unfortunately, I know some are offended just to see men holding hands). Those rooms would work for other types of groups too but not as much as this one.

Since I fall into the group (gay) mentioned, I'll offer my opinion, just that: my opinion.

When I looked at the rooms, my friends & I did not come to mind. I went another way. Young(er) spring break types, college fraternities, ladies on a 'girls only cruise': those are what came to my mind.

Rich

Since I fall into the group (gay) mentioned, I'll offer my opinion, just that: my opinion.

When I looked at the rooms, my friends & I did not come to mind. I went another way. Young(er) spring break types, college fraternities, ladies on a 'girls only cruise': those are what came to my mind.

Rich

From what I heard, many Spring breakers pack 4 per inside cabin to keep the cost as low as possible and I don't think 2 college boys (straight) would share a bed... but I might be wrong :D

When they have those deals at 99$ for 3rd and 4th guests, it comes much cheaper to book 4 in an inside than 2 in a studio.

Archived