Please tell me about Camp Carnival on the Fantasy

Dissell

Hi everyone.My family (me,hubby and 4 kids 8,9,13 and 17) are currently booked on the 4 day Disney Wonder cruise.I have sailed before on the Carnival Fascination,but not with the kids,so i didn't really pay attention to kids programing.I'm considering cancelling the Disney cruise and booking the Fantasy(it's less than half the price) I'm really concerned about lack of activities for the kids,however.We are sailing during a non school vacation week and I'm worried there won't be many kids on board.What has been your experience and what would you do???????

We sailed once in May and there were enough kids on board that my kids found friends. Camp Carnival will have the most for your 2 younger kids. There is a teen group for your 13 year old----not as many activites as the younger group but my kids still enjoyed what was offered for this group. As for the 17 year old, I'm not sure, but I think there is at least a teen meet so they can make friends and, maybe, a ping pong tournament, etc. Do a search for Camp Carnival to look for more information on the different age groups and activities.

We had looked at Disney too, but thought the children's program was geared more towards younger kids. I, personally, wouldn't spend double to go on Disney (even though I'm a Disney fan). Look on the Disney boards to find out more about their programs so you can compare them versus Carnival.

We're huge Disney fans, and after looking at the activities Camp Carnival offers, we booked Carnival for our family of 5. The kids are 13, 10, and 6. There's no way I'm paying Disney's overinflated cruise prices, although I do check them periodically. I'd love to go on a Disney cruise, but the ships we've been on, with the exception of HAL's Zuiderdam, have all had programs my kids would really enjoy. The Big Z does have a kid's program, but the facilities weren't as nice as others we've seen. It seemed lame in comparison to the Grand.

Somewhere on these boards I found a link for Camp Carnival's activities. Someone had scanned each day's schedule of the different ages.

We were on the Fantasy from November 5th-12th. It was great. I have 2 daughters, ages 4 and 6. We traveled w/another couple who have children ages 5 and 8. I can only give you information to help w/ your youngest child. Sunday night was the introduction meeting. They gave us our beepers as well. Monday we left the kids at the camp to go shopping in Freeport. My daughter was a little borded. Just freeplay and cartoons. Later that day she asked to go back for the sand art and in the evening she went to the Harry Potter Party (face painting included). She loved this. Tuesday we went to Atlantis, so we didn't use the camp. Wednesday they made hats and maps before going on a hunt for Funship Freddy. After lunch they decorated t-shirts and got to decorate cookies and eat ice cream. That night they went to the farewell party and received a small gift. We read the list of activities to our kids and let them pick what they wanted to do. They enjoyed the camp very much. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were very impressed with Camp Carnival on the Elation, which should be comparable ship to ship. My kids are 6, 10, and 13. My youngest loved Camp Carnival so much that we had trouble getting her to go into port. In Cozumel we had to make sure we had her back in time to paint a volcano. One big plus on the Elation, and I can only assume other ships do this, was the selection of complimentary drinks. In the buffet there was fruit punch, lemonade, hot choc, and apple juice in addition to the tea, coffee, and water. There was no need for soda cards.

I've priced Disney on a few occassions and haven't felt it sounded like a good value for the price. I'd save my money and take more cruises. In fact, at the end of it we put the question to our 3 kids. We can take them on a Disney cruise, but that would mean they wouldn't go on a cruise the next year since it costs twice as much. Without hesitation they picked 2 Carnival cruises over 1 Disney, and like I said earlier, we're BIG Disney nuts. I'd save my money if I were you.

Something another cruiser pointed out to me as we were docked beside a Disney ship is that they didn't have the deck space on the perimeter of the ship like Carnival and other lines. That meant less area to take walks and to get away from the main areas for some peace and quiet. (hope that makes sense) A friend of hers who'd sailed on Disney said there wasn't a place to go on deck to get away from the Disney music, and by the of the cruise it was really getting to her.

Did you have any specific questions about Camp Carnival? I have the Capers from my kids' age groups.

I have exactly the opposite problem. I've sailed Disney twice and I was so scared to try anything else that it took me a long time to agree to book Carnival. My Carnival cruise isn't until next December (Victory), so I don't yet have anything to compare. I just know that Disney was SO incredible. Yes, the prices are crazy and you could definitely sail Carnival twice for the price of one Disney cruise, but there's some things you can't put a price on. Our room steward kept a watchful "eye" on my teenage son the entire trip :) . We wanted to take our waiters home with us. They knew our family inside and out before the second night (two kids, now 16 and 10). Since they move dining rooms with you, you had the same servers throughout your entire cruise. The movies onboard were wonderful and up-to-date. The theatre shows were amazing and heartfelt. I have my fingers and toes all crossed that we're not disappointed with Carnival. I keep telling myself "it's not Disney, but that's ok".

Michelle

I have exactly the opposite problem. I've sailed Disney twice and I was so scared to try anything else that it took me a long time to agree to book Carnival. My Carnival cruise isn't until next December (Victory), so I don't yet have anything to compare. I just know that Disney was SO incredible. Yes, the prices are crazy and you could definitely sail Carnival twice for the price of one Disney cruise, but there's some things you can't put a price on. Our room steward kept a watchful "eye" on my teenage son the entire trip :) . We wanted to take our waiters home with us. They knew our family inside and out before the second night (two kids, now 16 and 10). Since they move dining rooms with you, you had the same servers throughout your entire cruise. The movies onboard were wonderful and up-to-date. The theatre shows were amazing and heartfelt. I have my fingers and toes all crossed that we're not disappointed with Carnival. I keep telling myself "it's not Disney, but that's ok".Michelle

Yes, Disney is awesome. We especially loved that entire deck devoted to adults only. My kids had a blast, then we decided to try Royal Caribbean on one of their voyager class ships. The kids loved it. For the next cruise, we gave them the choice between Disney and RCI and they actually chose RCI. So I think if you have an open mind, your kids will, too. I think it's great you are trying Carnival. Variety is the spice of life, and I believe you will have a marvelous time.

Thanks! That report definitely puts my mind at ease a little bit. My whole family is ready to try something different, while at the same time worried that we'll be comparing one to the other too much. We all need to go with open minds.

Michelle

We were on Fantasy earlier this year, a few weeks before Spring Break, and there were quite a few kids on board. Mine were 1, 7, 11 at the time, and the 7 and 11 year olds had a fantastic time with the kids programs. This was their second cruise (both on Carnival), and they were very very happy when we switched to the Triumph for our next cruise (we had been planning on an RCCL cruise). Plus, with pizza and ice cream 24-7, they'll have a great time!

Archived