Drive from Charlottetown, PEI to Hopewell Rock

cuoi

I will on Eroudam from Oct 2nd to Oct 12th, and ship will dock in Charlottetown from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Oct 8th. Is it enough time for rent a car drive to Hopewell rock and come back? Have anyone done that, please share experience where to stop for view or interesting thing to see and do.

Thanks

IMO it would be ambitious and, for me, too stressful. The drive there and back without any stops is a good 5 hours. Add in time to get rental car & return it, eat lunch, get back on ship, etc doesn't leave much time for sight seeing. BTW the Confederation Bridge to New Brunswick (fixed link or the link as we call it) is $44.50 per car. You only pay when leaving PEI, there isn`t a cost to come to PEI. Also you may want to google Elephant Rock in Norway PEI at the North end of the Island. It will be about 1 hour less driving without leaving PEI but the scenery at the site isn't as good as Hopewell. You will however get to see much of PEI`s scenery. Hope you have good weather and enjoy PEI

Blair

We travel to PEI often and know the road to Hopewell Rock very well. I would never try to do this. Your time would be spent in the car rather than seeing sights. I actually don't even know if it is doable in the time you have. I also think you would be missing out on a great day on a wonderful Island. PEI was just voted the number one island in North America by Travel and Leisure magazine. It is a beautiful place with gorgeous scenery. I would suggest renting a car, visiting some north shore beaches, having a lunch of mussels and lobster and taking a stroll along some beautiful streets in Charlottetown. Enjoy this beautiful Island.

• 3 weeks later...
IMO it would be ambitious and, for me, too stressful. The drive there and back without any stops is a good 5 hours. Add in time to get rental car & return it, eat lunch, get back on ship, etc doesn't leave much time for sight seeing. BTW the Confederation Bridge to New Brunswick (fixed link or the link as we call it) is $44.50 per car. You only pay when leaving PEI, there isn`t a cost to come to PEI. Also you may want to google Elephant Rock in Norway PEI at the North end of the Island. It will be about 1 hour less driving without leaving PEI but the scenery at the site isn't as good as Hopewell. You will however get to see much of PEI`s scenery. Hope you have good weather and enjoy PEI

Blair

I am renting a car for my port day on PEI. The ship will be in port from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I have been to PEI before and drove the central route visiting parts of the north shore, Anne of Green Gables home, light houses and passing the Confederation Bridge on returning to Charlottetown.

Do you have any suggestions for other/another interesting route(s) with points of interest along the way keeping within my time frame allowing for pick up/return of rental car?

Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

We travel to PEI often and know the road to Hopewell Rock very well. I would never try to do this. Your time would be spent in the car rather than seeing sights. I actually don't even know if it is doable in the time you have. I also think you would be missing out on a great day on a wonderful Island. PEI was just voted the number one island in North America by Travel and Leisure magazine. It is a beautiful place with gorgeous scenery. I would suggest renting a car, visiting some north shore beaches, having a lunch of mussels and lobster and taking a stroll along some beautiful streets in Charlottetown. Enjoy this beautiful Island.

Any suggestions for a drive other than the central island drive to the North Shore and Anne of Green Gables? I will have a rental car for 7 hours...ship is in port for 9 hours. Your above suggestions are great, but I've been to PEI before and would like to explore a little more, experience a little more of the island and its culture.

Many thanks for suggestions given.

I am renting a car for my port day on PEI. The ship will be in port from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I have been to PEI before and drove the central route visiting parts of the north shore, Anne of Green Gables home, light houses and passing the Confederation Bridge on returning to Charlottetown.

Do you have any suggestions for other/another interesting route(s) with points of interest along the way keeping within my time frame allowing for pick up/return of rental car?

Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

In my humble opinion, I suggest you may want to explore the east end of the Island. The following may be more detailed than you require but I thought other readers may be helped by the extra info.

From the cruise terminal go right on Water St (east) which will become Rte 1 (Riverside Dr.) when you cross Grafton St. Follow Rte 1 to do either:

Option A – turn right (east) on Rte 2 to St Peters. (signs may say to Souris) This will give more time on the other end of your day which will make more sense once you read the whole post.

Option B – continue farther on Rte 1 to the next right turn onto Rte 15 (Brackley Point Rd) and take it north to the Gulf Shore Parkway, on which you travel east along the shore through the national park and its’ sand dunes, to the intersection with Rte 6. Take 6 south (basically you will just go straight) to the T intersection at the end which is Rte 2. Turn left on 2 (east) and drive to St Peters.

If interested, Crowbush Golf Course is a +/- 2 mile side trip to your left (north), just watch for the signs.

At St Peters turn left at the T intersection (Rte 313) & cross the little bridge and at the next intersection (Rte 2 is the right turn) stay to the left on Rte 313 to pick up Rte 16. If you are hungry, there is a quaint little seafood restaurant to the right near the intersection, on Rte 2, that is reported to be good.

Following along 16 (The Northside Road) there are short side trips to the fishing harbours at Naufrage and North Lake. North Lake is the “Tuna Capital of The World” and they just had the international Tuna Cup competition this past week. You will also encounter some old wooden churches and numerous roads leading to the shore. You will get a great view, especially if the sea is rough, at the end of the Johnstons Rd. (also called Clear Springs Road) in Clear Springs. FYI if any road has a green street name sign, usually mounted on the square steel post supporting a stop sign, it’s a public road, even if it isn’t paved. The new (Hermanville area) and the existing (Elmira area) wind mill farms are also along this route. After doing the loop into and out of North Lake (N Lake Harbour Rd), go left, east on 16, to the turn off for East Point lighthouse (Lighthouse Rd). Depending on tides and winds, you can stand at the end of the Island and see the waves from the north and south shores colliding.

When you get back out to Rte 16 go left (west) towards Souris, which has you traveling along the south side of the island. A few miles down the road is Elmira Rd which is a short side trip (north) to the Elmira Train Station, if you are interested. Back on 16, or still on as may be, towards Souris, a little farther down the road on the left (south) is another potential side trip to Basin Head Fisheries Museum. It’s a beautiful spot even if the museum is closed for the season. Back on 16 (west) next is Souris where the ferry to Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Quebec sails from. Just across the road from the ferry terminal, on Breakwater Street, is a nice little restaurant (can’t remember the name) with an extensive seafood menu that is overlooking the port. BTW you will be on Rte 16 while entering Souris from the east and will be on Rte 2 as you head west out of Souris.

About 16 kms west from Souris you will be at Dingwells Mills. Here you can pick one of two routes back to Charlottetown:

Option A - You can bear slightly right on Rte 2 which will take you back in St Peters from which you can continue back to Charlottetown. (+/- 55 min from Dingwells Mills to the cruise port in Charlottetown).

Option B - If you still have a couple of hours available you can turn left on Rte 4 (Dundas Rd which turns into Seven Mile Rd then into Alleys Mill Rd) which will take you to the roundabout at the intersection with Rte 3. From here you can:

Option 1 - go east on 3 into Georgetown (10 min 1 way) and return back to the roundabout. There is a seaside restaurant here that is getting great reviews in the press. It a small village and port.

Option 2 - go south on 4 to Montague (5 min 1 way) and return back to the roundabout. Montague is a small town with everything from fast food to better restaurants, supermarkets, coffee shops etc. It even has a small museum close to the bridge which overlooks the marina.

Option 3 - go west on 3 to the merge with Rte 1 in Cherry Valley and continue on Rte 1 back to Charlottetown. After crossing the Hillsborough Bridge coming into Charlottetown turn left on Water. Actually that will be pretty obvious because you’ll get a great look at your cruise ship while crossing that bridge J

The trip from roundabout at Rte 3 & Rte 4 to Cruise Port is 45 min.

If you have an interest and enough time, it’s about 30-35 minutes from the roundabout at Rte 3 & Rte 4 to Rossignol Winery. To get there take Rte 4 south into Montague. Shortly after you cross the bridge in the town (on Main St but it’s still Rte 4) take the right on Wood Islands Rd (turn is next to a gas station and it’s still Rte 4) and then a couple of miles along you veer to the left on Rte 4 (Commercial Rd) at the fork with Rte 315 (Wood Islands Rd). Continue on Rte 4 to Murray River. At the T intersection with Rte 24 (Dover Rd which is to your right) turn left on Main St (which later becomes Normans Rd and is still Rte 4). At the T intersection of Rte 18 (Cape Bear Rd on the left) turn right to continue west on Rte 4 (Shore Rd). The winery is a couple of miles farther. Six or so miles past the winery, continuing west on Rte 4, brings you to the Wood Islands Ferry terminal on your left. From the ferry terminal continue to follow Rte 1 (west) back to Charlottetown. The trip from the winery to Charlottetown is about 1 hour.

If you still have time to kill, you may want to check out Point Prim lighthouse. It’s a 6 mile 1 way side trip to the west down the dead end Point Prim Rd (Rte 209).

Lastly, the following link is to the PEI Gov’t tourism site “Points East Coastal Drive” with a lot of info on the east end of the island. I live here so I view the Island differently than you might. The webpage will undoubtedly point out interesting things I overlooked. I hope the sun is shining while you are here and you really enjoy your trip around the island.

http://www.tourismpei.com/points-east-coastal-drive

In my humble opinion, I suggest you may want to explore the east end of the Island. The following may be more detailed than you require but I thought other readers may be helped by the extra info.

From the cruise terminal go right on Water St (east) which will become Rte 1 (Riverside Dr.) when you cross Grafton St. Follow Rte 1 to do either:

Option A – turn right (east) on Rte 2 to St Peters. (signs may say to Souris) This will give more time on the other end of your day which will make more sense once you read the whole post.

Option B – continue farther on Rte 1 to the next right turn onto Rte 15 (Brackley Point Rd) and take it north to the Gulf Shore Parkway, on which you travel east along the shore through the national park and its’ sand dunes, to the intersection with Rte 6. Take 6 south (basically you will just go straight) to the T intersection at the end which is Rte 2. Turn left on 2 (east) and drive to St Peters.

If interested, Crowbush Golf Course is a +/- 2 mile side trip to your left (north), just watch for the signs.

At St Peters turn left at the T intersection (Rte 313) & cross the little bridge and at the next intersection (Rte 2 is the right turn) stay to the left on Rte 313 to pick up Rte 16. If you are hungry, there is a quaint little seafood restaurant to the right near the intersection, on Rte 2, that is reported to be good.

Following along 16 (The Northside Road) there are short side trips to the fishing harbours at Naufrage and North Lake. North Lake is the “Tuna Capital of The World” and they just had the international Tuna Cup competition this past week. You will also encounter some old wooden churches and numerous roads leading to the shore. You will get a great view, especially if the sea is rough, at the end of the Johnstons Rd. (also called Clear Springs Road) in Clear Springs. FYI if any road has a green street name sign, usually mounted on the square steel post supporting a stop sign, it’s a public road, even if it isn’t paved. The new (Hermanville area) and the existing (Elmira area) wind mill farms are also along this route. After doing the loop into and out of North Lake (N Lake Harbour Rd), go left, east on 16, to the turn off for East Point lighthouse (Lighthouse Rd). Depending on tides and winds, you can stand at the end of the Island and see the waves from the north and south shores colliding.

When you get back out to Rte 16 go left (west) towards Souris, which has you traveling along the south side of the island. A few miles down the road is Elmira Rd which is a short side trip (north) to the Elmira Train Station, if you are interested. Back on 16, or still on as may be, towards Souris, a little farther down the road on the left (south) is another potential side trip to Basin Head Fisheries Museum. It’s a beautiful spot even if the museum is closed for the season. Back on 16 (west) next is Souris where the ferry to Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Quebec sails from. Just across the road from the ferry terminal, on Breakwater Street, is a nice little restaurant (can’t remember the name) with an extensive seafood menu that is overlooking the port. BTW you will be on Rte 16 while entering Souris from the east and will be on Rte 2 as you head west out of Souris.

About 16 kms west from Souris you will be at Dingwells Mills. Here you can pick one of two routes back to Charlottetown:

Option A - You can bear slightly right on Rte 2 which will take you back in St Peters from which you can continue back to Charlottetown. (+/- 55 min from Dingwells Mills to the cruise port in Charlottetown).

Option B - If you still have a couple of hours available you can turn left on Rte 4 (Dundas Rd which turns into Seven Mile Rd then into Alleys Mill Rd) which will take you to the roundabout at the intersection with Rte 3. From here you can:

Option 1 - go east on 3 into Georgetown (10 min 1 way) and return back to the roundabout. There is a seaside restaurant here that is getting great reviews in the press. It a small village and port.

Option 2 - go south on 4 to Montague (5 min 1 way) and return back to the roundabout. Montague is a small town with everything from fast food to better restaurants, supermarkets, coffee shops etc. It even has a small museum close to the bridge which overlooks the marina.

Option 3 - go west on 3 to the merge with Rte 1 in Cherry Valley and continue on Rte 1 back to Charlottetown. After crossing the Hillsborough Bridge coming into Charlottetown turn left on Water. Actually that will be pretty obvious because you’ll get a great look at your cruise ship while crossing that bridge J

The trip from roundabout at Rte 3 & Rte 4 to Cruise Port is 45 min.

If you have an interest and enough time, it’s about 30-35 minutes from the roundabout at Rte 3 & Rte 4 to Rossignol Winery. To get there take Rte 4 south into Montague. Shortly after you cross the bridge in the town (on Main St but it’s still Rte 4) take the right on Wood Islands Rd (turn is next to a gas station and it’s still Rte 4) and then a couple of miles along you veer to the left on Rte 4 (Commercial Rd) at the fork with Rte 315 (Wood Islands Rd). Continue on Rte 4 to Murray River. At the T intersection with Rte 24 (Dover Rd which is to your right) turn left on Main St (which later becomes Normans Rd and is still Rte 4). At the T intersection of Rte 18 (Cape Bear Rd on the left) turn right to continue west on Rte 4 (Shore Rd). The winery is a couple of miles farther. Six or so miles past the winery, continuing west on Rte 4, brings you to the Wood Islands Ferry terminal on your left. From the ferry terminal continue to follow Rte 1 (west) back to Charlottetown. The trip from the winery to Charlottetown is about 1 hour.

If you still have time to kill, you may want to check out Point Prim lighthouse. It’s a 6 mile 1 way side trip to the west down the dead end Point Prim Rd (Rte 209).

Lastly, the following link is to the PEI Gov’t tourism site “Points East Coastal Drive” with a lot of info on the east end of the island. I live here so I view the Island differently than you might. The webpage will undoubtedly point out interesting things I overlooked. I hope the sun is shining while you are here and you really enjoy your trip around the island.

http://www.tourismpei.com/points-east-coastal-drive

Wow! A great suggestion for a days's drive with detailed directions. Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide this most appreciated information.

Archived