what not to miss around the port area 9shops/restaurants)

Love2travel4

All of the shops are similar, if you are a Guy Harvey fan that's a nice store, if you want to try some great dark or white chocolate the small place near the church offers samples inside, it's the Big Black Dick rum. The girl there invented these flavors, very good. I would recommend taking a bottle home. The small bottles also make fun gifts for obvious reasons :p

The Paradise cafe on the water is a good spot to relax with a drink and a bite.

Dut I would say for shops don't waste your time going to several. While staying on the island last trip we went downtown when no ships were in and girls went to every shop (it seemed like). They all carry much the same stuff at the same prices. We bought ALL of our gifts at Too Hot, a store in a 2-story bldg kitty corner from Paradise I think or at least on that end of the main drag.

For jewelry try Island Jewelers. Black coral is no longer harvested for jewelry on GCM but you can find black coral jewelry with the coral from other sources like Haiti.

Yes that was a fun quick visit.

Bernard Passman was the most famous jewelry artist on GCM incorporating black coral into jewelry, he had some exquisite stuff. My wife bought me a very nice black coral ring last visit, again there are nice selections at Kirk Freeport and Islands if interested. Islands has a few Passman pcs that are gorgeous but very pricey.

I wish I was a Guy Harvey fan or an avid fisherman as there are some great shirts in that store. His restaurant is upstairs if you want a different experience for a lunch.

I'll throw in just a few historic site in George Town.

There is an old step well visible inside a shop at the rear of Bayshore Mall. Last I remember it was inside a place that lets you design and stuff your own teddy bear. Just imagine being an early visitor to the island and hauling water up out of a well like that one bucket full at a time in order to replenish your ship.

The Cayman Islands National Museum is right on the waterfront.

Hero's Square in front of the court house highlights some of the accomplishments of those who developed the Cayman Islands. Take a few moments to look at the statues and read the inscriptions.

All are easy spots right in the heart of George Town.

I made it a point when staying on the island to visit Hero's Square, they had moved the one statue from the waterfront to the square and I wanted to see that.

If interested in photography Cathy Church Camera store at the Sunset House Hotel (390 South Church Street just a short taxi from town) is one of the best I've visited in the Carib. Also a nice little shop neat there with some nice items, a bit different from the downtown shops.

I think a highlight would be snorkeling with the tarpon that are right at the shore at the Paradise restaurant. If nothing else, just go and see them, or better yet, ask to feed them. There were many people just getting in the water to swim with them. Very cool. Steps to the water and only waist deep. Free. The prices and food at Paradise were also very good and people/staff.....EXCELLENT!

Archived