Scooter use on Emerald Princess

teeoc79

Thinking of doing Canada New England 10 day on Emerald Princess. Wife uses a scooter, has bad knees. Need info regarding storage of scooter in non-HC balcony Cabin and insights into navigation of ship using scooter please! Any reccomendations for best locations for a balcony stateroom?

I have been on the Emerald but need an accessible cabin (although I can walk just a bit) as I need a flat access to the toilet and shower. Before I had trouble with steps I used a standard cabin. I would recommend any balcony cabin on Caribe deck as the balcony is larger on that deck and 1/2 covered. Your biggest problem in storing the scooter will be getting it into the cabin in the first place. The door to the cabin is only about 20 inches wide. Once into the cabin it is small. I think you could store the scooter next to the desk or between the beds if you leave them in the twin set up. If price is not an object then a minisuite might be preferable as the scooter could be stored in the sitting area.

I have been on the Emerald but need an accessible cabin (although I can walk just a bit) as I need a flat access to the toilet and shower. Before I had trouble with steps I used a standard cabin. I would recommend any balcony cabin on Caribe deck as the balcony is larger on that deck and 1/2 covered. Your biggest problem in storing the scooter will be getting it into the cabin in the first place. The door to the cabin is only about 20 inches wide. Once into the cabin it is small. I think you could store the scooter next to the desk or between the beds if you leave them in the twin set up. If price is not an object then a minisuite might be preferable as the scooter could be stored in the sitting area.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your insights! We will definately try and get a cabin on the Caribe Deck, my brother-in-law suggested the same thing. Totally agree with your reccomendation RE: Mini Suite also. We really want to do the Quebec-to-NY on 10-6, but all the mini suites are booked:(

We were on Princess a few times and, to be honest, the only time we were able to get my husband's scooter into the room was in the accessible mini suite. We were also in an owner's suite and couldn't get it it that door. Someone said to take off the arms and then try it. My other concern was the narrow corridors. When there's the big carts in the hallway, he couldn't get through until they moved them. The accessible rooms are near the elevators. If you can, try and get one, you'll both be happier

While accessible cabins get booked early, if one isn't available then one by an elevator lobby would be a good idea for the reason pointed out above. That said, the question that remains is where to store a scooter that you can't get in the door of the cabin?

If the scooter can be taken apart AND if scooter user can get around cabin with cane or walker, you can disassemble and place parts around cabin. Did that once.....could charge battery separately, put seat in closet, something under chair etc. it took up almost all extra room, but was do-able.

We were on Princess a few times and, to be honest, the only time we were able to get my husband's scooter into the room was in the accessible mini suite. We were also in an owner's suite and couldn't get it it that door. Someone said to take off the arms and then try it. My other concern was the narrow corridors. When there's the big carts in the hallway, he couldn't get through until they moved them. The accessible rooms are near the elevators. If you can, try and get one, you'll both be happier

To my total surprise we were able to get an accessable minisuite! Thanks for your input! :D

Archived