looks like our update is now tomorrow at 3...per my email
ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS
Yesterday, we shared that after reviewing Tropical Storm Dorian’s strength and path, we decided to close CocoCay until Wednesday, September 4th, 2019, which impacts your itinerary. Our CocoCay Team is made up of over 400 Bahamian locals and it’s important that they evacuate to care for their families and secure their homes, as soon as possible. Please know, we evaluated all options, and this is the best decision, as there is no room for error when it comes to the safety and security of our guests, crew, and employees. This is our top priority.
We’ve been closely monitoring the weather projections, along with our Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet. And currently, the American and European weather models have the storm going two separate ways. So, to ensure we provide you with the best itinerary, we’re going to wait a bit more to evaluate the new data, which we’ll receive this afternoon. Then, we’ll work to confirm some great alternate ports for your upcoming sailing and share your new itinerary with you by tomorrow, August 29th, 3:00 PM EST.
Any pre-purchased Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for CocoCay will be refunded to your onboard expense account in the form of a credit. If your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will be refunded to your credit card on file.
We are terribly sorry for this last-minute change, but appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this unexpected circumstance. We remain confident that you’ll have a wonderful vacation with us!
Royal Caribbean International