Steam and Sauna

Aussie Jeep

Hi Lanwood-

We were on the Diamond last year, before her modification and Japanese baths were added and enjoyed the steam and sauna in the men's locker area. We booked an AUS / NZ cruise for 2015 on the Diamond. I was curious what your thoughts are on your last cruise and the Japanese Baths? Also, was curious if the Diamond still has the separate steam and dry sauna in the men's locker area?

Thanks for any feedback and comments!

Hi Mermen

I did a review on the new Diamond Princess post cruise here. Should be somewhat informative for your cruise (IMHO of course)...

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034497

If you like the Thermal type suite experience's (like us) when on board, the Diamond would now be the best in the princess fleet (also IMHO). As there are now 3 options to choose between.

1. The Japanese bath house (called izumi) is a very traditional bath house with separate area for men and women. When in Japan, you are "forced" to be naked as part of the Japanese experience. However when in Australian season it will revert to another thermal type suite arrangement. I am told. The finished product of Izumi's is exactly as the animated you tube video posted earlier.

2. There is still the Thermal suite inside the Lotus spa (my favourite area). I'm sure you are familiar with these.

3. Yes - there is also the Sauna and Steam bath in the Men's locker rooms next to the Lotus spa and fitness area (this is still free). The sauna is much hotter here than in the Thermal suite, however the Turkish steam baths, and aromatherapy steam room in the Thermal suite are much hotter (and nicer) that the change room option.

If this is your cup of tea - you are really spoilt for choice on Diamond.

Has anyone actually been into the sauna/steam room in the mens locker room on Splendour of the Seas? Can you give me an idea of the layout and/or facilities are in there? I am sure it is quite small, but hopefully NOT co-ed. No where have I found any detailed drawings or comments about it. Thanks!

Lanwood, many thanks for the detailed reply and for your brief but very informative review on the refurbished Diamond. We are looking forward to sailing her again.

Hope to meet you both some day!

I just got off the phone with Royal because on my last cruise I was told that in the remodels some of the Royal ships were going the way of the Enchantment, and not have steam/sauna in the locker areas. I contacted Royal to get the final word, since I stressed that not having these separate and complimentary services would result in my switching to a different ship and I wanted to be certain that I would not be surprised when I went onboard.

It took them a week of research, but here is what is current:

Oasis Class ships only have the paid spa area.

The Freedom Class ships all have separate, not co-ed, complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Voyager Class ships all have separate, not co-ed, complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Radiance Class ships:

The Brilliance, the Radiance, and the Serenade all have separate, not co-ed complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Jewel is now charging a fee for use of the area that used to be complimentary.

The Vision Class ships:

The Grandeur, the Legend, the Rhapsody, and the Vision all have separate, not co-ed, complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Splendor has complimentary steam room, but does Not have a complimentary dry sauna.

The Enchantment does not have either steam or dry sauna.

I hope this helps.

I can confirm that Freedom of the Seas was separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Separate as stated and most guys came in with towels but hung nude after a bit. One guy came in with swimsuit on but didn't last long because of all the stares I guess.

I just got off the phone with Royal because on my last cruise I was told that in the remodels some of the Royal ships were going the way of the Enchantment, and not have steam/sauna in the locker areas. I contacted Royal to get the final word, since I stressed that not having these separate and complimentary services would result in my switching to a different ship and I wanted to be certain that I would not be surprised when I went onboard.

It took them a week of research, but here is what is current:

Oasis Class ships only have the paid spa area.

The Freedom Class ships all have separate, not co-ed, complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Voyager Class ships all have separate, not co-ed, complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Radiance Class ships:

The Brilliance, the Radiance, and the Serenade all have separate, not co-ed complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Jewel is now charging a fee for use of the area that used to be complimentary.

The Vision Class ships:

The Grandeur, the Legend, the Rhapsody, and the Vision all have separate, not co-ed, complimentary steam and dry sauna in the locker areas.

The Splendor has complimentary steam room, but does Not have a complimentary dry sauna.

The Enchantment does not have either steam or dry sauna.

I hope this helps.

Roller coaster:

Thank you for the very consice and accurate information! Your posting has made it to my "print and save folder"!!

• 2 months later...
Last two cruises were on Carnival Dream. Co-ed saunas sporting the window with separate steam rooms in male and female locker rooms. Nice.

Anyone been on Carnival Breeze - does it have this set up too?

I think great information has been given here and since there are quite a few threads of this sort in the archives, I'm going to close the thread. This topic is a popular one, so you should find many threads with great information provided. You should be able to bring up these past threads by doing a simple search.:)

Thanks!