NCL Gem WiFi

The_J

Hi -- I'm going to be sailing on the Gem next month, and am curious about how the WiFi is now that Norwegian has upgraded service. It's been a little over 2 years since I've been on an NCL cruise, and the WiFi was really bad then -- loading email was fairly slow, let alone trying to do anything else. I've seen some articles about how the internet is significantly improved, but I'm wondering how much.

I like to play mobile games, which require decent bandwith, so I was considering getting the unlimited data package for the trip, but if the WiFi is slow and spotty, it's not worthwhile. So I'm looking to see if anyone has had some recent experiences they can share about it -- particularly whether or not they've been able to reliably stream video or play games over the WiFi.

Thanks!

FWIW...I had unlimited internet on the Star and would not recommend playing games where latency matters like World of Warcraft. The ping times were like 800ms. I got it so I could do some Webex meetings but I could only connect through my mobile app (my laptop required too much bandwidth). I believe the Star claimed to have upgraded internet.

FWIW...I had unlimited internet on the Star and would not recommend playing games where latency matters like World of Warcraft. The ping times were like 800ms. I got it so I could do some Webex meetings but I could only connect through my mobile app (my laptop required too much bandwidth). I believe the Star claimed to have upgraded internet.

I'm looking more at games like Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes, where most of the work is client-side, but needs to be able to connect server-side to either access areas or to post/get results. It would be through a mobile app, so if you were able to do video conferencing, I'd think that there was sufficient bandwith, even assuming latency, to play.

• 4 weeks later...
I have wifi minutes for the first time on my next cruise. What do you have to do to access/use it on my phone/tablet once onboard?:confused: Thanks!:)
Is that on the Gem, for 250 minutes "free" ? Any extra promo and/or Platinum minutes (including those from spouse/partners in the same stateroom) on top - as those "extra bonuses" will need to be "manually" added to your activated onboard WiFi account (create your own login & password to use, and, share among, 1 at a time ... of course)

Switch your device into Airplane mode, turn back on WiFi only - make sure any & all background App/OS updates are turned off or disabled, turn on data saver on Androids ... (thus, you make sure your devices are up-to-update with the latest Apps, etc. before boarding the ship) as iCloud & Google Drive backups & upload can take place without notice or warning, burning your available data quickly.

iConcierge App and the Speednet App (from EMC) are optional to install & use, not directly related to using WiFi on your device, as those worked while staying connected to ship's inTRAnet side, whereas inTERnet is firewalled & required a log-in (and, should be log-out when finished, or the usage "meter" or timer will continue to run down on you.

To access, setup and activate your allowance - sign into this URL - digitalseas.io - on your device (only functional while connected to ship's WiFi) - you will be prompted to setup your account in a few steps & keystrokes with the data. Once done, it take a few moments to verify your details before "connected" and you are good to go ... check emails, lookup news & weather, check the forum site, etc.

Use the same URL as above to sign-out again (the "meter" will display time on/data used and remaining balance, etc.)

If you have issues, take a quick walk over to see the iCafe manager during posted hours, first day is usually a longer wait. Another way to do this is to use the free terminals ... they are up on Deck 12 Fwd/Starboard side inside the Library. NCL dot com website is always free and usable on the ship, you can see how fast/slow the connections are by doing a few searches on ships/itinerary using the default browser, before actually going "live"

c966a84a21c95c63cb668c880e51636f.jpg

d2bcddc701e76cbffa08249c6bd16f48.jpg

ae229f7571335157af099dec1f342503.jpg

a3853d61380f2207195b9c369366cb74.jpg

P.S. Look for SSiD for the Gem and if your device has 5Ghz WiFi band support, it will be faster & less congested.

Edited by mking8288

Is that on the Gem, for 250 minutes "free" ? Any extra promo and/or Platinum minutes (including those from spouse/partners in the same stateroom) on top - as those "extra bonuses" will need to be "manually" added to your activated onboard WiFi account (create your own login & password to use, and, share among, 1 at a time ... of course)

Switch your device into Airplane mode, turn back on WiFi only - make sure any & all background App/OS updates are turned off or disabled, turn on data saver on Androids ... (thus, you make sure your devices are up-to-update with the latest Apps, etc. before boarding the ship) as iCloud & Google Drive backups & upload can take place without notice or warning, burning your available data quickly.

iConcierge App and the Speednet App (from EMC) are optional to install & use, not directly related to using WiFi on your device, as those worked while staying connected to ship's inTRAnet side, whereas inTERnet is firewalled & required a log-in (and, should be log-out when finished, or the usage "meter" or timer will continue to run down on you.

To access, setup and activate your allowance - sign into this URL - digitalseas.io - on your device (only functional while connected to ship's WiFi) - you will be prompted to setup your account in a few steps & keystrokes with the data. Once done, it take a few moments to verify your details before "connected" and you are good to go ... check emails, lookup news & weather, check the forum site, etc.

Use the same URL as above to sign-out again (the "meter" will display time on/data used and remaining balance, etc.)

If you have issues, take a quick walk over to see the iCafe manager during posted hours, first day is usually a longer wait. Another way to do this is to use the free terminals ... they are up on Deck 12 Fwd/Starboard side inside the Library. NCL dot com website is always free and usable on the ship, you can see how fast/slow the connections are by doing a few searches on ships/itinerary using the default browser, before actually going "live"

Thank for your help, and yes I have the 250 plus another 250 with the distinctive voyages promo!:D