Uniworld Danube Holiday Markets 2015

papa B me

I placed a hold until Monday for a Suite on Uniworld's new SS Maria Theresa for their Danube Holiday Markets for Dec 1 2015. This itinerary runs from Budapest to Passau with stops in Vienna, Bratislava, Krems, Linz/Steyer or optional trip to Salzburg. I have to confirm by Monday and place my deposit. I have sailed on Uniworld's sister ship SS Antoinette this past July and feel comfortable with Uniworld's food, service, and amenities.

My main questions are for people who have visited some of these stops for Christmas markets either with Uniworld or other lines. Did you feel the markets were worthwhile and did they have different feels between the different countries? How did you feel about the tours other then the markets themselves? I know that weather can change quickly and year to year but being this early in winter did you find the cold overwhelming(on line looks like an average of 40F and low of about 30 F? If you have been to the Linz stop with the option to Salzburg would you stay in Linz/Steyer or go to Salzburg for the day? Any other thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

The temperature range is more than 40°F to 30°F. Two weeks ago we were having 11°C (F), 3 days ago to -18°C (0°F). When it is a real minus and dry cold then it is great, but when it is about 0°C (32°F) and wet thats when it gets to the bones and joints.

Salzburg is always worth a visit, the Christmas Market is worrth visiting - BUT it is very famous and can get very very crowded even to the point where the police close it off and do not allow anyone to enter.

In Bavaria, every town and village will have a Christmas Market, so every week end is planned. Last December (2014) we visited our Passau Christmas Market 4 times - can't get enough of them.

Book it

Edited by G.M.T.

I agree and if you will reread my comments I call them Christmas Markets but the name of the itinerary from Uniworld is Holiday market which is why I called it that in my title. Thanks for the help

Sorry about that, I just read the Title and thought here we go again political correct, but I was wrong. So edited original message with more helpful info.

We just came back from a Christmas Markets cruise on Viking that went to several of the towns the Uniworld cruise goes to. The following is just my opinion of the Markets we went to.

Budapest-Lovely market within walking distance of where the Viking ships (And I would think other lines) dock. We were there on a Saturday night and it was crowded, wall to wall people crowded. Lots of nice handcrafted items, and the food smelled delicious. English was not widely spoken, and most venders wanted Forint (sp?) as opposed to euros. The river front was only a block away, and the Buda side of the city was beautifully illuminated at night.

Vienna-The main market was large, but I found it disappointing as most of the items appeared to be mass produced. However, earlier in the day we had found a smaller market just outside St. Stephens that had some lovely items that were quality, hand crafted pieces.

Passau-Very nice market with a variety of hand crafted and mass produced items. Very good food available. We especially liked the bratwurst kabobs and the steak sandwich smothered with sour cream and topped with raw onion.

My favorite market was the one in Regensberg, just outside the Thurn & Taxis palace.

As for weather, it ranged from a low of mid 30's early in our trip to high 40's the last couple of days. It didn't feel that cold to me, and I hate the cold. I was so entranced by everything I was seeing that cold, rain, crowds, nothing deterred me.

We have done a fair amount of traveling, and DH and I agreed if not our favorite all-time trip, then it's in the top 2.

If interested check out my photos at my vanity web site; http://www.Rosethorn40.simplesite.com