Alki Beach in Seattle?

Fa-Li

Continuing to plan our precruise days in Seattle. I really want to get out on the water on one of the ferries, but with other things scheduled, I only have an afternoon free. This doesn't seem like enough time to make the ride over to Bainbridge Island worth it.

I've noticed a water taxi/ferry line that runs from the waterfront over to Alki Beach area, and tripadvisor makes it sound like this would be a neat place to spend an hour or so wandering, taking in the views and maybe popping into a shop or coffee spot.

Has anyone done this and could give feedback on if it's a realistic plan for an afternoon? We'd be doing an early lunch in the Pike Place Market area, then want to be back to hotel in Queen Anne district by 6ish to clean up for dinner.

Thanks!

It's a fine idea. You could easily do lunch, go for a walk, and catch the next boat back. Marination Ma Kai, right on the pier where the water taxi docks, is great and cheap, sort of Korean/Hawaiian/North American fusion--Kalbi beef tacos and Spam sliders and shave ice. A short walk away, Salty's is more upscale and traditional, with good seafood. Both have a view to die for.

If you're feeling more energetic, there are a few places along the beach that rent bicycles. It's a nice, flat ride around the point to the Alki lighthouse, which is open for tours on summer weekends.

I was at Saltys over the weekend ... great salmon! The view of the skyline is fantastic during the day, sunset and evening. There were seals on a large buoy by the barge and they eventually swam over to the pier to peek at us. There's also an eagles nest right across the street from Saltys. Definitely worth a visit!

• 2 months later...

We are back from our cruise and I just wanted to follow up with a big thank you for helping me plan this activity! We flew in to a gorgeous early afternoon in Seattle and decided to head right over to Alki, since who knew if the sun would shine the next day? This turned out to be a good call, as the next day was cooler and overcast.

The ferry ride was fun, and after taking some pictures where we docked on Alki (cool little jellies in the water there!), we rented bikes and rode to the end of the path at the point and back. Took about an hour with lots of photo stops, and we were all in super high spirits. What a great way to start our vacation!:)

We are back from our cruise and I just wanted to follow up with a big thank you for helping me plan this activity! We flew in to a gorgeous early afternoon in Seattle and decided to head right over to Alki, since who knew if the sun would shine the next day? This turned out to be a good call, as the next day was cooler and overcast.

The ferry ride was fun, and after taking some pictures where we docked on Alki (cool little jellies in the water there!), we rented bikes and rode to the end of the path at the point and back. Took about an hour with lots of photo stops, and we were all in super high spirits. What a great way to start our vacation!:)

I'm really glad to hear it!! Thanks for coming back and telling us--I always wonder what people wound up doing and if they enjoyed it.

A few weeks ago I went out to Alki Beach on a sunny-ish day to take a photo of the scene from the beach looking out to the Sound, since I didn't have one that I could post to illustrate the view from the Alki Beach end of the waterfront path. This is looking northwest, with Bainbridge Island the closest land mass, and the Olympic mountains behind. The ferry is one of the smaller boats that go to Bremerton, not the big ones that go to Bainbridge.

20140513_47H2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...