San Diego port parking

spintowin

We've used a "Park 'n Go" lot on Pacific Street and had no complaints. It looks like it's $11 a day with a coupon on their website - there may also be the 7th night free, wording is a little vague. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.parkandgosd.com/

There are other options - just Google "San Diego Cruise Parking". You may have to start a dummy reservation to see a price quote.

Search for 'San Diego Airport Parking'.

Since the airport is 10 minutes from the cruise port almost all of the parking lots service both the airport and cruise port.

We also have parked at the Park n Go lot several times. It is an open lot under the flight path. If your alarm is very sensitive the planes might set it off. Last time we parked there the sign said 'full'. Since we had a reservation there was a spot for us. (Bring your confirmation JIC. )

Edited by SadieN

I take Amtrak from Orange County to SD. The local station has free parking in a structure, and extended parking (>48 hours) is fine if you log your vehicle with the security agent. If LA Union Station is more convenient they have parking for $9/day. Each station has different parking policies, best to check on the Amtrak website.

If you prepurchase on the Amtrak site as a AAA member it's a few $$ savings. I would not recommend prepurchasing the return. SD is notorious for disembarkation delays and there is always room for "walk on" passengers. Just walk over to the depot (2 blocks, 1/2 mile, 5 minutes) and buy at the ticket window.

Nice thing is your vacation starts as soon as you board the train!

Parking at LA Union Station is $6/day but not a cost saving measure for cruising out of San Diego. Amtrak is $37one way from Union Station.

http://www.parkme.com/lot/42732/gateway-center-union-station-los-angeles-ca

Another idea is to do two one-way car rentals to/from San Diego Airport. The car rental shuttles go to the cruise port.

Edited by SadieN

Parking at LA Union Station is $6/day but not a cost saving measure for cruising out of San Diego. Amtrak is $37one way from Union Station.

It is $6/day at the Patsaouras Transit Center at 801 Vignes. This is where people park for the FlyAway. The underground parking is connected to Union Station. We have parked here for a week a few times when we take the Blue Line down to Long Beach.

Well that depends on the length of the cruise (days of parking). Add the cost to drive the 240-mile round trip ($156 for an intermediate size personal auto in CA) and the all-in cost for 2 people is similar by car or train. In my personal case, I'm halfway to SD so the drive cost is lower than train fare...but parking is free at my local station.

I use Amtrak occasionally to fly out of SAN instead of LAX. The problem is most flights from the East Coast and Hawaii arrive in SAN too late to connect to the last northbound Amtrak around 8pm.

Your one-way rental car idea is a good one to consider, although lately it's been difficult to find LA-SD rentals that don't have a high one-way dropoff fee. A few years ago it was easy to rent cars without the fee.

Edited by kenish

Well that depends on the length of the cruise (days of parking). Add the cost to drive the 240-mile round trip ($156 for an intermediate size personal auto in CA) and the all-in cost for 2 people is similar by car or train. In my personal case, I'm halfway to SD so the drive cost is lower than train fare...but parking is free at my local station.

I use Amtrak occasionally to fly out of SAN instead of LAX. The problem is most flights from the East Coast and Hawaii arrive in SAN too late to connect to the last northbound Amtrak around 8pm.

Your one-way rental car idea is a good one to consider, although lately it's been difficult to find LA-SD rentals that don't have a high one-way dropoff fee. A few years ago it was easy to rent cars without the fee.

The one time we rented one way ONT-SAN was $86 from Hertz.

You're right about the length of cruise. Well worth it for longer.

There is no parking that is specific or only for the cruise ship terminals in San Diego, although the lot across the street from the Broadway Pier (just south of the Wyndam) is usually the one people reference as such. It is $15/day.

You can park at pretty much any of the off-site airport lots, many which are cheaper than that lot, and they will shuttle you to and from the pier.

http://www.thebigbay.com/san-diego-cruise-ships-tips.html

You might also consider driving down the evening before and staying at a hotel that has a park-and-cruise deal, and will shuttle you to the pier as well.

Here are some of the hotels that offer these packages:

http://www.sandiego.org/articles/cruises/cruise-friendly-hotels-in-san-diego.aspx

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is a couple months old. But beware, Park and Go will not service all sailings out of San Diego. I was just emailed that they will only service Celebrity and Holland America sailings. Everyone else is out of luck. So we'll be parking at the Wyndham which happens to be the same price.

I know this thread is a couple months old. But beware, Park and Go will not service all sailings out of San Diego. I was just emailed that they will only service Celebrity and Holland America sailings. Everyone else is out of luck. So we'll be parking at the Wyndham which happens to be the same price.

The shuttles won't go there. Could take the shuttle to the airport, then cab it to the cruise port. Cab should be less than $10.

The large lot across the street has been greatly reduced as another hotel is being built on the property.

The shuttles won't go there. Could take the shuttle to the airport, then cab it to the cruise port. Cab should be less than $10.

The large lot across the street has been greatly reduced as another hotel is being built on the property.

Park and Go will actually shuttle passengers to the pier. Just not if you are sailing on Disney.