Pigeon Island on our own vs. Serenity

kmrnclrk

Was wondering from those who have been before:

Was interested in doing the Serenity Tour "Fun at the Beach", at $35/pp. It's me, my wife and sister-in-law going. Seems like they just bring you to the Park, get you in with some chairs and you do what you want. They also provide a "cooler with island drinks".

Through the boards, I see Taxi round-trip would run $60, and for the 3 of us, Park Entrance - $15, chair rental - $6. So on our own we spend $81 vs $105 for the Serenity tour.

So for those who have done one, the other, or even both - is the "tour" worth the extra $24? The only added benefit is the "cooler with island drinks". Does that mean its "open bar" until the cooler is empty? Will we be able to wander the park/hike to the fort on the "tour"? Are there return taxi's readily available at the Park? What else am I getting for the extra $24?

Sorry for all the questions, hope it all makes sense!

In my honest opinion- it is better to do it on your own. With your cost breakdown - it is less expensive also - and you can stay as long as you want.

With Serenity's "tour" - yes, you can hike all around the island, etc. and the drinks are till they run out- usually some beers, rum punch, a few sodas and a bottle or 2 of water. You can easily purchase what you want from the local restaurants inside the park.

There are return taxis readily available - or the driver who takes you over will wait if you like him. If he waits for you - you may be able to negotiate a slightly lower price - maybe. Not guaranteed though.

Chairs are very easy to rent or you can just spread out wherever you want on the beach under the shade. Lovely ruins to wander around, great hikes, small museum about the history of the fort, etc. and 2 restaurants- an English pub and a local eats place - both are great.

Enjoy your visit - Pigeon Island is lovely!

Is there much sandy beach on Pigeon Island? Looks like very limited space to sit down and relax. My ideal visit would be to walk around and see the sights, then relax by the water until I felt it was time to go.

It's a pretty decent sized sandy beach. It's not huge by any means, but a reasonably sized cove beach with plenty of space to swim and chill out. I am sure you will find it plenty on arrival. If not - there is a longer stretch outside the park next door also that has a few vendors and some chairs, but is not as picturesque as the one in the park.

Archived