Motor Coach transfer in Anchorage

SusieO

We arrive a day early in Anchorage and have been told to go to the Egan Convention Center between 9a.m. and noon the day of our cruise. My question is this; if we arrive at 9 a.m. do we drop off our luggage and get some sort of "ticket" to come back at a specific time to board a motor coach or do we just hang around there for hours until the buses depart at 1 p.m.?

I am hoping we can drop our bags off and walk around downtown and then come back to have a secure spot on one of the first transfers to the ship.

Thanks! ;>

We arrive a day early in Anchorage and have been told to go to the Egan Convention Center between 9a.m. and noon the day of our cruise. My question is this; if we arrive at 9 a.m. do we drop off our luggage and get some sort of "ticket" to come back at a specific time to board a motor coach or do we just hang around there for hours until the buses depart at 1 p.m.?

I am hoping we can drop our bags off and walk around downtown and then come back to have a secure spot on one of the first transfers to the ship.

Thanks! ;>

We're in the same boat (no pun intended) as we're on the Diamond from Whittier to Vancouver. The shuttles don't even start running to Whittier til 1:00PM.

I agree in that I hope our bags go on a bus and are waiting for us onboard when we get there. Would love to tour around ANC with our friends.

Ciao for now!!!

We're in the same boat (no pun intended) as we're on the Diamond from Whittier to Vancouver. The shuttles don't even start running to Whittier til 1:00PM.

I agree in that I hope our bags go on a bus and are waiting for us onboard when we get there. Would love to tour around ANC with our friends.

Ciao for now!!!

Take the 10:00 express train!!!!!

You will be onboard before the first coach leaves. ;)

Its incredible.

Take the 10:00 express train!!!!!

You will be onboard before the first coach leaves. ;)

Its incredible.

Ok, well what is the 10:00 express train and where do we purchase tickets? Is this through Princess?

The Alaska Railroad Daily Whittier Train leaves Anch. at 10am. They will even take your luggage and put it on the cruiseline truck for the ship. The next time you see your bags will be at your stateroom.

http://www.akrr.com

If you wait for the shuttles at the Egan Center, they will put your bags on the luggage truck as well. So you can walk around downtown.

We did the shuttle once from the Egan center, it is a day of waiting. You can drop off the luggage and explore the downtown area. You are given a bus departure time. There are seats in the Egan center as well. If you decide on the bus, get there early to be on an early bus.

People book the train independently, I have not taken it but the train track is right next to the ship. You probably can book through the cruise line as well. I would try the train.

I don't see anything on the www.akrr.com page that shows that they will transfer bags to the cruise ship. It says "There is no actual depot building in Whittier; the Glacier Discovery stops just across the street from the large cruise ship dock in Whittier" We're traveling with several folks that will need help with luggage. Any suggestions on options? Are there porters?

You won't find any info. about the bags on the ARR website. But if your ship tags are on your bags the ARR porters put your bags to the side for the cruise line luggage truck. The ARR does this for all the cruise lines up here in Alaska. The next time you see your luggage will be at your stateroom.

Thanks! ;>

I had the same dilemma last year. Got into Anchorage the day before transferring to Whittier. Did some research, ending up staying at a hotel that had free transfers to either Egan or the airport. I believe the departures from the airport start earlier than Egan. I left the hotel around 11AM and it was a quick trip to the airport. I used the Princess transfer and as soon as I got there, they took the luggage. Didn't see it til I got to my cabin. Longest wait was at the airport, little over 1 hour. You might want to consider exploring Anchorage before checking out of your hotel.

I'm planning to take MagicBus with a scheduled departure from Anchorage to Whittier. Less expensive than the train, which I'm told is roughly the same route and view as the road. It takes longer than the train, but makes some tourist stops along the way. He's even stopping at a liquor store so I can get some wine. Should be in Whittier at 1 pm.

I'm planning to take MagicBus with a scheduled departure from Anchorage to Whittier. Less expensive than the train, which I'm told is roughly the same route and view as the road. It takes longer than the train, but makes some tourist stops along the way. He's even stopping at a liquor store so I can get some wine. Should be in Whittier at 1 pm.

Two quick things here. One the Train has priority over any vhicles getting in to Whitter when it comes to the Tunnel so you could be litterly watching as the Train wizzes by and then waiting roughly an hour. The tunnel is a one way road so first traffic goes in and then comes out or viceversa and they cant be in the tunnel at the same time as the trains and all trains have priority over any vihicles. Two actually the train and the road do not go on exactly the same route and the train actually goes through some different senic areas.

I think the stops along the way on the bus will be fun and hopefully you get some good pictures and animals and the weather cooperate. Just a couple of things to keep in mind is all :)

Adri

The trains DO NOT have priority on getting through the tunnel.

Trains are permitted through the tunnel if they contact Tunnel Control and can be at the Green lights at :20 & :50 after the hour.

I've seen the trains wait, even passenger trains.

I had the same dilemma last year. Got into Anchorage the day before transferring to Whittier. Did some research, ending up staying at a hotel that had free transfers to either Egan or the airport. I believe the departures from the airport start earlier than Egan. I left the hotel around 11AM and it was a quick trip to the airport. I used the Princess transfer and as soon as I got there, they took the luggage. Didn't see it til I got to my cabin. Longest wait was at the airport, little over 1 hour. You might want to consider exploring Anchorage before checking out of your hotel.

Where did you go when you went back to the airport? Did you have the taxi drop you off by baggage claim vs. the main entrance? I would assume the bus would be waiting in the baggage claim area, but would hate to get dropped off in the wrong area and then have to try and get all our luggage to another location. Thinking this may be our best bet since we have all ready paid for bus transfers and you did not have to wait long at the airport vs getting to the Egan Center so early and then waiting for hours.

We loved the train 4 yrs ago when we sailed with Regent and used the train they had arranged to Seward.

Thanks much for all replies!!!

I didn't take a taxi. I used the hotel courtesy transfer and they dropped me at the Princess check in counter at the airport. I cannot remember what airline it was close too, think it is at the end of C concourse at the southern terminal. The courtesy van dropped off international passengers 1st at the northern terminal.

Well it seems we have decided to take the train from Anchorage to Whittier. I see at the train site they have two types of tickets; Gold Star with seating in the higher dome area and Adventure seating. Anyone that has done the Gold Star is it worth the extra cost? We are leaning towards this type of ticket.

Thanks for all the advice!

The trains DO NOT have priority on getting through the tunnel.

Trains are permitted through the tunnel if they contact Tunnel Control and can be at the Green lights at :20 & :50 after the hour.

I've seen the trains wait, even passenger trains.

The trains will wait if they dont get thier in time. But you see also the tunel was originally only for trains. The vihicles going through the tunnel is a new concept and they are still refining it.

Adri :)

Where did you go when you went back to the airport? Did you have the taxi drop you off by baggage claim vs. the main entrance? I would assume the bus would be waiting in the baggage claim area, but would hate to get dropped off in the wrong area and then have to try and get all our luggage to another location. Thinking this may be our best bet since we have all ready paid for bus transfers and you did not have to wait long at the airport vs getting to the Egan Center so early and then waiting for hours.

We loved the train 4 yrs ago when we sailed with Regent and used the train they had arranged to Seward.

Thanks much for all replies!!!

Thier is way more to do downtown then at the airport so keep that in mind. You can drop your luggage off at the eagan centre and walk around. Thier is plenty to see and do in downtown Anchorage. Thier is a mueseum you can check out. Thier are plenty of shops and stores and a mall. Thier is also a post office if you need one in an unusual building that was built after the 1964 earth quake. The 1964 earthquake moved a whole street in Anchorage and created a whole section. The sunshine mall/building was created on that. The rather good sized Post office is in the bottom of the mall. If your thier on a weekend thier is also the Saturday market which is fun to walk around in and check out all the differnt things. Thier are also hot dog and raindeer vendors out on the street selling them. So you can get a nice filling lunch. Thier is also some great places to eat like Club Paris for example. Enjoy your time in Anchorage and keep in mind whitter is very small :)

Adri

The trains will wait if they dont get thier in time. But you see also the tunel was originally only for trains. The vihicles going through the tunnel is a new concept and they are still refining it.

The road has been in place for 10 years. There's nothing to refine. Everything works great, until the power goes out or the Railroad Interlock Switch fails and the tunnel doesn't get released back to Road Traffic.

The road has been in place for 10 years. There's nothing to refine. Everything works great, until the power goes out or the Railroad Interlock Switch fails and the tunnel doesn't get released back to Road Traffic.

I used to go through it by Train a hundred times or more as I used to take the ferry to Cordova quite a bit. Ive also taken the road quite a bit as well and it is what it is. Thier still working on things and in Alaska we do things on our own time and thats how it works here lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived