Gatwick - Harwich Transfers

dvmvet

Hello

We are doing a Baltic cruise on Brilliance in late June/14. We fly into Gatwick mid morning, and simply need to get down to Harwich before 5 pm. Of course, prefer to get there mid afternoon if possible.

I'd like to hear about cost effective options to do this transfer. I think there is some way to get from the airport to the train, which then heads down to the port? Or maybe there is some other way. But I have heard this transfer can be pricey if we are not careful.

So we are sending out a Cruise Critic sonar ping to find out how to do this!

Thanks everyone!;)

DVM vet

Harwich is a long way from Gatwick, over 100 miles (that's a long way this side of the pond!)

The easiest way to travel would be to take the train from Gatwick Airport to London Bridge Station, then the underground to Liverpool Street station and then train to Harwich.

Expect the journey to take around 2hrs and 45 minutes.

A taxi should be able to do the journey in around 2 hours (depends on the M25 traffic) and should cost around £180

The best value trains can normally be booked around 12 weeks before date of travel.

Have a look at thetrainline.com for trains or cabubble.co.uk for private transfers.

Pete

dvmvet - Are you cruising the day you arrive into Gatwick?

What time does your ship sail?

Remember that you need to be on board some time before departure, not at departure time.

Gatwick to Harwich is not an easy journey, however you go. If you go by train, you need to go from Gatwick into London, then cross London to get to Liverpool Street station, in order to catch the train to Harwich.

If you go by road, you have to skirt London on the notorious M25, which can be a slow journey. It can get very congested at times.

I would book a private car company to meet you and transfer you - not the most economical, but the most hassle-free. Smiths for Airports is a company often recommended.

I see that Brilliance departs from Harwich at 5PM. You need to be in Harwich by about 3PM.

You need your plane to arrive on time, or else you will be rushing to get to Harwich in time for your cruise. Arrive in Harwich at 5PM and you'll be waving the ship goodbye.

With that timescale, private transfer is really the only viable option. To get the cost down, try the roll call to find someone to share.

When you negotiate with the taxi companies, make sure that they understand that you have to be at the ship by 3pm.

Say your flight lands mid morning at 1030 you then have to collect baggage clear immigration and customs. Have you factored that time into your calculations. As Bob points out it is a good idea to ensure the taxi company knows you need to be at Harwich by 3pm I doubt if they will give any guarantees. The M25 motorway skirting London can often be subject to delays. If an accident occurs that road can be closed for hours as the police treat it as a crime scene and carry out thorough investigations.

Sorry to put such a downer on your plans but I would be on edge with the timescale.

Did a Baltic on the Brilliance last year a wonderful cruise.

Cheers

Selswick

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much. Perhaps it is best if we book a taxi. I am not familiar with Roll Call however? Can you please explain how I would do it?

My husband was thinking of renting a car at the airport and driving it down to Harwich. The cost is very reasonable. He thinks that if the highway is congested, it will be the same if we are in a car, a taxi or a bus. But after reading all the above, I think by the time we get past customs, get our luggage, get to the rental place, get the car, then get on the road, we will be pushing things abit. Am I correct in thinking this?

How bad is Gatwick?

Regards

DVMvet

Thank you very much. Perhaps it is best if we book a taxi. I am not familiar with Roll Call however? Can you please explain how I would do it?

My husband was thinking of renting a car at the airport and driving it down to Harwich. The cost is very reasonable. He thinks that if the highway is congested, it will be the same if we are in a car, a taxi or a bus. But after reading all the above, I think by the time we get past customs, get our luggage, get to the rental place, get the car, then get on the road, we will be pushing things abit. Am I correct in thinking this?

How bad is Gatwick?

Regards

DVMvet

Driving this route yourself after a transatlantic flight is not a good idea. This is an awkward transfer and it it is often suggested that if the cruise company does a transfer than this is the best option to take. Have you enquired about this?

Edited by Gettingwarmer

How bad is Gatwick?

Regards

DVMvet

If you are arriving the day your cruise sails, you really have no time to do this - you need to have a car waiting for you when you exit LGW to take you straight to Harwich.