Overnight in Baltimore

ceslpn

For Baltimore we stayed in at the best western in Elkridge- we used trinity reservations and did a package with them - breakfast, parking & shuttle included- (about 20 minute shuttle)

Happy cruising- Baltimore was very easy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

When are you cruising? I have a reservation there before my 3/3 cruise, and will report back. I chose it because of the P&C package, nearness to the inner harbour, and that it got 4.5* on Trip Adviser

We are doing a back to back April 18 until May 8. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

We are doing a B2B 5/10-5/24 and instead of paying $210 for parking at the ship, thinking about booking this hotel to park our car free plus the free shuttle. My main concern is the shuttle itself. We will be visiting friends after the cruises and we will have 2 XL pieces of luggage EACH plus our carry ons. Wondering if there is room for all that, PLUS I don't want to wait around until noon or later to get to the ship. I would like to be there no later than ll am and I have heard rumors that many times the shuttle has to make a pick up/drop off at the airport first. Anyone have any info about this? Is there a sign up sheet for the shuttle?

We are doing a B2B 5/10-5/24 and instead of paying $210 for parking at the ship, thinking about booking this hotel to park our car free plus the free shuttle. My main concern is the shuttle itself. We will be visiting friends after the cruises and we will have 2 XL pieces of luggage EACH plus our carry ons. Wondering if there is room for all that, PLUS I don't want to wait around until noon or later to get to the ship. I would like to be there no later than ll am and I have heard rumors that many times the shuttle has to make a pick up/drop off at the airport first. Anyone have any info about this? Is there a sign up sheet for the shuttle?

We stayed there for our New Years cruise, and are staying there again for this April's cruise.

It was just fine- the area is away from the hustle and bustle, and more in the country setting, not sure why people keep saying it was a bad area?

Anyways..yes, there is a sign up sheet at the check in desk.

We signed in as soon as we checked in.

There is your "typical" free breakfast included.

The room was clean, and the breakfast held us over until we got on our ride:)

The shuttle was "typical" jumbo passenger van, and all luggage fit, including all the 8 other passengers.

The shuttle came after we got back from our cruise, but it was delayed due to weather(major snow storm) but we were back to our room, and well on our way home around 10ish. Nothing much you can do about the weather..

We didn't do any airport people on our shuttle, didn't even know they do that.

I have posted photos off the hotel, on one of these Baltimore threads, but so many people complain and say how sketchy this area is, I am about to give up giving recommendations.

I kept telling people my thoughts of this Elkridge hotel and the Bayonne Ramada, and so many times, I keep having to come and give a defense.. that its getting frustrating.. We are not high class, or high maintenance, so staying in these large chains that are typical 3 diamonds are just perfect for us. They are in our price range, they are clean, and they work for the night.. lol..

Sorry for the rant.... but, I am just trying to be honest, and give my help for anyone who is average class??? (again, we are not going to the night before hotel for shopping, or a vacation... just want to sleep and GO)

If you want, I can come back and let you know how it goes on my next cruise (April) maybe something is different that we missed?

We choose the first pick up- which was early, I can't remember exactly, but will note what the options are in April... I think it was around 830? 9? ...

Thank you very much. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for (your lst post) We are just like you and don't need anything fancy schmancy and it's actually just a short 4 hour drive for us but paying $210 for parking for 14 days...I would rather pay that $ and have a restful night sleep, a free breakfast and maybe time to explore the area too! We are a "bit spoiled" because we live about 20 minutes from Port of Manhattan (about the same distance to Bayonne too!) and we have been cruising almost exclusively from here. One of our DS'es picks us up, we pull out of the driveway and within an hour we are eating our lst meal on the ship. ;);) So for us to "wait around" for a shuttle we might need a little pep talk LOL. We are also platinum, so can get on the ship early which we enjoy. Someone mentioned there is coffee and tv in the reception room while waiting for the shuttle, so I could handle that! :p One more thing: did you do anything the night before? We will have our car and would love to explore the area. We have been to Baltimore a few times to take in Yankee/Oriole games at Camden Yards but that was years ago. MANY THANKS again and enjoy your cruise!

We choose the first pick up- which was early, I can't remember exactly, but will note what the options are in April... I think it was around 830? 9? ...

Thanks for your awesome review of the place. Maybe I'm missing the negative reviews but everything I have read so far, people love this place and have been recommending it. :)

Can you tell me how often are the shuttles? Like do you sign up for every hour on the hour or every half hour? Since it's a 20 minute ride, I was hoping to sign up for a 9:30am shuttle to the cruise port. Is this possible?

One more thing: Chris/mapleleafvoyage, might need your help again! I made reservations thru Trinity Reservations yesterday afternoon for BW Elkridge. Am I supposed to be getting a confirmation? TIA and enjoy your weekend!

Thanks for your awesome review of the place. Maybe I'm missing the negative reviews but everything I have read so far, people love this place and have been recommending it. :)

Can you tell me how often are the shuttles? Like do you sign up for every hour on the hour or every half hour? Since it's a 20 minute ride, I was hoping to sign up for a 9:30am shuttle to the cruise port. Is this possible?

I think the shuttles ran every hour. So when your getting dropped off, they load up bringing returning guests. And so on.

As soon as you check in, sign up for your desired time.

Enjoy your cruise

One more thing: Chris/mapleleafvoyage, might need your help again! I made reservations thru Trinity Reservations yesterday afternoon for BW Elkridge. Am I supposed to be getting a confirmation? TIA and enjoy your weekend!

Yes you will. Perhaps everyone was gone for the weekend after you booked, lol

If you don't get one by Monday afternoon, contact them:)

You enjoy your weekend too- I'm working some overtime (making extra cruise $$ ;)

Yes you will. Perhaps everyone was gone for the weekend after you booked, lol

If you don't get one by Monday afternoon, contact them:)

You enjoy your weekend too- I'm working some overtime (making extra cruise $$ ;)

More cruise $ is good!!! My grandma had a summer camp in Canada, passed down to my mom. My grandpa was Canadian. Camp is in the tiny town of Buckingham, Que. Been going there since I was a baby and have lifelong friends up there. :)

I think the shuttles ran every hour. So when your getting dropped off, they load up bringing returning guests. And so on.

As soon as you check in, sign up for your desired time.

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the info.

Did you notice any "funny" smells at the Elkridge? I have been reading the reviews and a lot of people mention that the place just smells "old and musty" and "like smoke" both in the hallways and the rooms. I have seen a lot of people complain about them and also saying that the hotel appears "older" with the decor and needs updated. Just wondering...:confused:

None that I recall- I'm afraid for you to stay here, lol.

I'm thinking you won't be happy.... Do you have other options? Maybe they would be better?

LOL. I know, I'm probably making this more difficult than it really is. I don't know why I'm struggling with this and stressing so much. I already went on and booked my hotel for our Boston cruise to Bermuda in June with no issues. :p

The only options that I had were the BW Elkridge, BW or Comfort Inn on Annapolis. I was planning on booking the BW there but I was thrown off by the multiple complaints of the shuttle service and a poster telling me they waited for 5 hours in the morning to be shuttled to the cruise port (and their friends for 6 hours). If it wasn't for that (among others complaining about the shuttle service), I would have picked it already. I like the location and like the decor of it...it's just the darn shuttle (which is part of the "deal" of not having to fork out more money to pay for a taxi...which completely defeats the purpose of booking any of these hotels for such a great price).

I like the fact that the Elkridge also has the indoor pool, which will give our daughter something to do the day we arrive. The other 2 places don't have anything so we would pretty much be stuck in our rooms. :p

lol- ok... Well good luck, and if it sucks don't come looking for me-

Happy cruising

LOL, I would never do that. I'm appreciative for everyones help whether it works out or not. Everyone has a different expectation and experience. :)

Just back from my 10 nighter on the Grandeur and here is a review of the Sleep Inn:

Executive summary:

Would I stay there again, if I was cruising? Absolutely

Would I stay there again, if I drove to Baltimore for an Orioles vs Sox weekend? Probably

Now the details:

Hotel

The hotel itself is nice, it seems to be recently refurbished, there was a lot of new carpeting in evidence. The room was your basic budget chain hotel room, nothing spectacular, but fine for a "one night stand". Breakfast was continental-- juice, fruit, cereal, toast and the like, they did have a DIY waffle machine, tho.

Parking

Parking was in an open lot next to the hotel, it wasn't that big, maybe 30-40 spaces, so I wonder if the hotel limits the number of park & cruisers. Interestingly the lot on the other side of the hotel belongs to the Baltimore PD, so I'm guessing the hotel lot is pretty safe. We had no problem with our car, although I did take basic precautions (took the faceplate off of he stereo, and took down the GPS (and cleaned up the mark on the windshield left by the suction cup attachment).

I can see why some might have some concerns with the location, it isn't very scenic and it is definitely a "City" location, the Baltimore Juvenile Justice center is around the corner, and an I-83 onramp is the other side of the street, but we had no problems. Power Plant Live http://www.powerplantlive.com/ is about a 10 minute walk (and we walked it). That looks like it might be a fun place on a weekend or before/after an Orioles game, but on a cold Monday night there wasn't much happening.

Shuttle

The hotel doesn't have its own shuttle bus, they contract with a local livery service. They have one shuttle per hour, and you sign up for it when you check in. The livery service gives you a number to call when you get off the ship and they will pick you up. We were driven to and from in a full sized van (Ford "E series") with plenty of room for luggage (going over we were a party of 8, and 2 of the bags ended up riding "shotgun", coming back we were a party of 6 and all the bags fit behind the rearmost seat).

Conclusion:

See executive summary

• 1 month later...

Mitsugirly, still waiting for your Pride review and your thoughts of the BW in Elkridge! :D Quick question: I know it sounds silly but I try to pack as little as possible and still bring a ton of "toiletries." I LOVE Carnival shampoo, so that is one less thing I have to pack. Just thinking and wondering if the HOTEL has shampoo samples and/or dispensers. Don't want to have to buy shampoo for one morning! :confused::eek: THANKS!

Mitsugirly, still waiting for your Pride review and your thoughts of the BW in Elkridge! :D Quick question: I know it sounds silly but I try to pack as little as possible and still bring a ton of "toiletries." I LOVE Carnival shampoo, so that is one less thing I have to pack. Just thinking and wondering if the HOTEL has shampoo samples and/or dispensers. Don't want to have to buy shampoo for one morning! :confused::eek: THANKS!

My Pride review started a few days ago (link in my signature line and the full review to BW Elkridge is in the beginning).

Yep, they supply you with the shampoo and stuff. :D