St. Martin or St. Thomas Jewelery

brideof10years

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this June (Eastern - Valor) for our anniversary. We have been told that there are great deals on diamonds over seas....my question is does anyone know which island has the best deals and or selections? I would hate to get to the last port only to find out I should have purchased something at the previous ports? Thanks for any input.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this June (Eastern - Valor) for our anniversary. We have been told that there are great deals on diamonds over seas....my question is does anyone know which island has the best deals and or selections? I would hate to get to the last port only to find out I should have purchased something at the previous ports? Thanks for any input.

Great deals in both places. Many favor St Martin, just be sure to do your homework at home, so you know what it really a good deal. Many of the shopping areas are lined with Jewelry stores.

Im a watch freak :) Got some great deals on Movado watches in SXM.

It's been too long since I've been to these ports to really give you a good answer, but both ports had great shopping. Both ports have Diamonds International (I like that they're US-based if there's issues down the road), so if you see something at the first port you should get it. If you see something at the second port you like better or for a better deal, you can return it.

There is a wonderful jewelery shop in St Thomas called "Ballarina". We have been there and my "in Laws" have used them several times. The tanzanite ring we purchased there for $525 dollars appraised in the states for over $1200.

The thing to keep in mind is that if you see something you like and you think it is a good price, buy it. You are very unlikely to see anything like it somewhere else.

That's my experience at least.

But if you like watches, I have found web sites here in the states that sell watches (Citizen, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Movado, etc.) for the same price, if not a little less than in the Caribbean. So do your homework if you see something that you like before you go and know your price at home.

I have a story similar to what tinkmamma said - A friend of mine that cruises quite often, bought a ring in St Thomas - brought it home and brought it to a jeweler for appraisal - the jeweler was in AWE at the QUALITY and "shocked" by the price that she paid! He said that he had never seen such an unbelievably beautiful stone in all his years.

He also says that many gemologists love to go down to the St Thomas area to train/work etc because it has such fine jewels!! Unsurpassed!

Good luck and Happy Shopping!! ;)

I will be checking prices on 2/15 in St. Martin. Purchased an absolutely gorgeous diamond pendant last Feb in St Thomas for $1300, their written appraisal was $1950 and my insurance appraisal at home was $4800. I am not expecting another deal like this but the same jeweler has a shop in St. Martin so I'm going to be looking for a ring or bracelet and earrings. Will try to remember to post when I get back and let you know what I think about price comparisons between the two islands. I have many friends who swear by St. Thomas and have gotten terrific prices there. We'll see what St. Martin has to offer.

Both locations are great for Jewelry Shopping, but over the past few years we have noticed better deals on high quality items in St. Maarten. There seems to be a better willingness to deal lately in St. Maarten, so we do all of our Jewelry shopping there. Truth is, you can't go wrong in either place as long as you know the quality, and what stateside prices may be.

Tim

we just got back from the victory

i have been looking for a very thin watch, without spending a fortune, and found the following in st martin

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/AR0014-52A.asp

bought for $165, lowest i can find online is $275 or so

Mike

That was one of the sites I used to use to compare...their prices have really gone up lately. I bought this watch for $235 in one of the shops in Havensight in St. Thomas. When I came home and looked at it, this site had it for $245...now look at the price.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/AP1024-56P.asp

I will be checking prices on 2/15 in St. Martin. Purchased an absolutely gorgeous diamond pendant last Feb in St Thomas for $1300, their written appraisal was $1950 and my insurance appraisal at home was $4800. I am not expecting another deal like this but the same jeweler has a shop in St. Martin so I'm going to be looking for a ring or bracelet and earrings. Will try to remember to post when I get back and let you know what I think about price comparisons between the two islands. I have many friends who swear by St. Thomas and have gotten terrific prices there. We'll see what St. Martin has to offer.

Do you happen to remember which store you purchased your pendant at? That's what I am looking for too.

Do you happen to remember which store you purchased your pendant at? That's what I am looking for too - can I ask how large and what the clarity is? Just trying to figure out how much we should budget.:)

That was one of the sites I used to use to compare...their prices have really gone up lately. I bought this watch for $235 in one of the shops in Havensight in St. Thomas. When I came home and looked at it, this site had it for $245...now look at the price.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/AP1024-56P.asp

GREAT DEAL!!!!!

Off topic a bit but I'm so excited! I lost my diamond and emerald tennis bracelet about a year ago. :( Had to find receipt--$820 in Costa Maya. Put in claim to homeowner's insurance which had cancelled us for a month later.:mad: Got my check for about $350.

Yesterday my daughter found it in the jewelry box everyone has searched ten times. :eek: My house does have frequent bizarre happenings like this...it's haunted by dead relatives who think it's funny to hide things.:D

We notmally purchase things we want in St Thomas.I purchase a lovely saphire & diamond bracelet from Cardow in St Thomas my husband bought a fantastic Jacob le Coutre watch from Jewels 4,000 under the USA price check the prices here so you have a good idea before you go Happy shopping (I also purchase an emerald and diamond ring several years ago from Cardow and it is appraised at 12,000 and I only paid $5,000 for it.

I agree with phlydude........On my first cruise we went to the Eastern Caribbean and I listened to the talk they have on the ship about shopping. They were saying how much better St. Thomas was and I (stupidly) listened to them and passed up a pair of beautiful 10mm pearl earrings with a large diamond drop on them in St. Maarten and when I got to St. Thomas, they didn't have what I wanted. I was really upset that I didn't get them in St. Maarten.........so the moral of the story........if you see it, it's priced good, you really like it.........GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a wonderful jewelery shop in St Thomas called "Ballarina". We have been there and my "in Laws" have used them several times. The tanzanite ring we purchased there for $525 dollars appraised in the states for over $1200.

Bought 2 1-carat, emerald cut stones of my kids' birthdays. When I got back and took them into have them put into a setting, my jeweler said I paid there about what I'd have paid here at home. But it's such a nice souvenir. :)

I bought a beautiful gold woven link bracelet as Cardrow Jewelers in St. Thomas.. I only paid $175.00 for it. I was told it would cost me around $500.00 here. Also got a white & yellow gold open link bracelet with a garnet clasp at Diamonds Intenational in St. Thomas. Really pretty I paid $225.00 for it.. was told it would have been over $400.00 here.

Archived