Time To Get A Passport

Host Walt

Based on this USA Today article,

WASHINGTON (AP) — In three years, U.S. citizens and Canadians will have to show passports or a federally issued ID card linked to Homeland Security databases to re-enter the country from across the border.

The intelligence bill passed by Congress last year mandates the new identification requirements be in place by Jan. 1, 2008. ...

the Birth Cert. and D/L will no longer work for any international cruise passengers.

This is true!!! Post 911 has induced world wide concern with regards to terrorism and illegal aliens crossing the borders from foreign soil. Anyone traveling abroad should consider getting a passport now, instead of waiting until it becomes a law. a passport is a universal method in identifying someone versus always having to verify a B/Certificate and driver's liscense.

John

I didn't wait and just got my new one a couple of weeks ago. Of course I've had one before, but it had expired years ago. A passport is a lot easier than keeping track of a birth certificate. It only makes sense that a passport will be required. I wish they'd institute it earlier. You have to have one to fly in and out of the country, why not by ship?

Ok so we have 'till 2008 before it is mandatory. Right?

~lurker

According to the USA Today article, that's right.

However, I suspect that many will wait until 2008 then a landslide of applications will slam the State Dept. so it would seem prudent to proceed sooner with an application.

I agree with Walt. Go now or maybe wait a few weeks, then apply for passport. I just bet that if you wait until 2008 they will be so busy that you cannot even put a foot in the door.

Marilyn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Walt, for the tip. I've been debating getting a passport for our cruise scheduled in December of this year. I'll be traveling with my sister (her 1st cruise) and she just received her passport. I guess my mind is made up now. I traveled with my original bc and copy of my ml 6 years ago when I last cruised, but the passport would be much simpler to use. With that being said, should we take our passport with us when we get off the ship in the various ports, or would a copy of the picture page suffice and leave the original in the safe in the room? Oh, the questions I have...Thanks!:)

and the card that is issued to you on the ship. They will take your picture and every time you leave or get back on the ship all you do is scan that little card. If by chance you get in touble off the ship a copy of the original BC won't do much good. I think I will now get my passport for the next cruise.:)

Your Face On A Chip

Later this year the State Department will start issuing biometric passports with a face recognition feature and a digital signature embedded in a tiny chip. Australia, Ireland and the Nederlands will also introduce biometric passports this year.

Apart from the security advantages, the passports will help lines move faster by eliminating confusion when a traveler's face doesn't quite look like his/her photo.

• 4 weeks later...

I read that the passport will be required for trips to mexico and the caribbean after Dec. 31, 2005 and for Canada by Dec. 31, 2006. We are going on a cruise in Nov. to the caribbean and we are getting passports now. I don't want any trouble. I also read on one of the boards that a couple was held up for a couple hours with imigration because the had id and bc instead of passports. they missed their flight and the next two flights.

Walt and others: I did it!! I visited my local county clerk's office last Friday and gave them the passport application form, two "ugly" pictures and $97. Now the waiting game begins. She said, "No more than 6 weeks, but you'll probably get it in 2 weeks". We'll see.. I feel much better now:)

my passport has my maiden name on it.....do I need to get a new one? It is from 1998 if that matters.

First you don't have to get a new one, that passport will be good unitl 2008. However, you need to do one of two things. First option would be to book everything in your maiden name (probably not the best choice). Second option would be to get the passport ammended to show your married name.

Archived