Up Close Glacier Viewing on RCI?

Sunny AZ Girl

A few years ago we took a small boat excursion off of the cruise ship for up close viewing of Hawe's Glacier in Endicott Arm on a Carnival Cruise. It was a highlight of our cruise. We just booked the RCI Ovation Of the Seas on May 13, 2019. It is the 11 night cruise only done at the beginning of the season. It looks as if excursions are available for booking in all ports. We are visiting both Hubbard Glacier and Hawe's Glacier. I checked the website and do not see a smaller boat excursion available at either glacier. I keep reading other people on other cruise lines mentioning these small boat excursions, but have seen nothing for RCI. Is this not available in general on RCI or is it just too early to book it? I have e-mailed RCI with this question, but have not received a response.

We were on Radiance of the Seas in May of 2017. I do not recall seeing a small boat excursion being offered at Hubbard or other ports.

We took the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion with Adventure Bound out of Juneau. It will be your best chance at getting really close to a glacier. I highly recommend it and your ship will be in Juneau long enough for you to take the trip with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Radiance of the Seas in May of 2017. I do not recall seeing a small boat excursion being offered at Hubbard or other ports.

We took the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion with Adventure Bound out of Juneau. It will be your best chance at getting really close to a glacier. I highly recommend it and your ship will be in Juneau long enough for you to take the trip with them.

Thank you for the reply!

I think we will do that. Adventure Bound was the company that contracted with Carnival the day we went and it truly was a highlight of our cruise. Do you remember how you got to their boat? Is it close to the cruise ship dock?

Do you remember how you got to their boat? Is it close to the cruise ship dock?

We walked to their office and boarded the boat directly behind their office. It was maybe 6-8 minute walk from the ship. See the screen shot from their website below. We docked where the closest ship to their office is shown.

I believe that is the regular pier that Royal Caribbean uses, but it is always subject to change. If you dock at one of the other piers that is further away, it may be best to take a cab. Adventure Bound will let you know where to meet them and we’re very good at communicating with us.

. b92cabad868feda5bb4a63ec952cea08.jpg

We walked to their office and boarded the boat directly behind their office. It was maybe 6-8 minute walk from the ship. See the screen shot from their website below. We docked where the closest ship to their office is shown.

I believe that is the regular pier that Royal Caribbean uses, but it is always subject to change. If you dock at one of the other piers that is further away, it may be best to take a cab. Adventure Bound will let you know where to meet them and we’re very good at communicating with us.

. b92cabad868feda5bb4a63ec952cea08.jpg

Thank you! I just booked with them. It looks like an easy walk for DH and myself and I know I will want to get a few steps in before being on a boat all day. Another couple we will be with wil lprobably take a cab as she cannot walk very far. But, I think it will be a good excursion for her. You have been very helpful.:cool:

Thank you! I just booked with them. It looks like an easy walk for DH and myself and I know I will want to get a few steps in before being on a boat all day. Another couple we will be with wil lprobably take a cab as she cannot walk very far. But, I think it will be a good excursion for her. You have been very helpful.:cool:

Great! We found out about it here on CC and loved the excursion. It’s not cheap (nothing in Alaska is, lol), but was the best value of any excursion we did in Alaska.

I just did the Adventure Bound tour last week for the 6 or 7th time and it was fantastic as usual. One of my favorite tours anywhere. Winona came down and picked me up along with a family of 6 also on the Grand Princess. They have adjusted their start times back a little to try and get more cruise ship passengers.

Had a beautiful time in Alaska, it was 75+ degrees and sunny in all ports. Even with that still bring some layers as it gets cool as the small boat moves along pretty fast. The next day we were in Tracy Arm on the cruise ship and only got as far as Sawyer Island for a distant view of the glacier. I always feel sorry for all the passengers that don't know what they missed