Is a cruise a package holiday?

artemis10

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I will keep it for future reference. Luckily for me the ship was delivered and my only problem was strikes on the French railways. As you say trading standards departments have been cut back. I suppose they prioritise issues around safety etc and leave everything else to the individual. I have only used trading standards when a hotel restaurant in London repeatedly added an unadvertised service charge to the bill. They were served an enforcement notice and complied very quickly.

I did not realise that P and O would want to avoid court. With all the resources they have I thought they have I thought it would be easy for them. I suppose I had not considered the precedence.

Thank you again. I very much appreciate your help.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand it is for bookings made from today.

I should have made it clear that although the new directive came into force on 1st July, the cancelled cruises on Oriana are covered under the existing 1992 regulations. The new directive just adds more protection.

I presume you have the option of a full refund including deposit? P&O won't deliver what they contracted to supply so the contract is invalid and you get your money back, or am I being stupid?

Then take your money and spend it on a cruise with another cruise line, preferably not a Carnival brand

I think the problem is people are being encouraged to book a replacement P and O cruise. Many will be happy to do this as they like the P and O product and want to sail from Southampton. Unfortunately in a lot of cases the price of a similar cruise is now more expensive than when they originally booked. So to get the same duration holiday to similar ports at roughly the same time involves paying OP an O hundred more pounds. Some people might say P and O is profiting by cancelling cruises. Not how long standing customers expect to be treated.

This thread was questioning how P and O were able to do all this in terms of the Package Travel Regulations 1992. I questioned if an equivalent alternative holiday should be offered at no additional cost. I am not a solicitor though.

Best wishes, Stephen.

When this happened to us, on Adonia in 2005, we were simply offered a choice of voyages to transfer to, at NO EXTRA COST. The one we picked, was far and away both more expensive, but also two days longer, but it cost us not a penny more.

How times have changed.

The good old days of cruising. I remember them well. Companies behaved well, kept customers and got good publicity for it too.

The good old days of cruising. I remember them well. Companies behaved well, kept customers and got good publicity for it too.

If that was true, there would have been no need for legislation.

When this happened to us, on Adonia in 2005, we were simply offered a choice of voyages to transfer to, at NO EXTRA COST. The one we picked, was far and away both more expensive, but also two days longer, but it cost us not a penny more.

How times have changed.

We got an even better deal when we agreed to not sail on the 14 night Artemis Farewell cruise, which was very popular and booked within hours of going on sale. We got a phone call about a week before we were due to sail (it was an April sailing) and told they were over booked. We were offered a full refund plus another cruise of up to 17 nights before the end of that year. We chose a 17 night Med cruise on Adonia which went out at the very end of August (?31st) and because they had no obstructed view cabins we were given a window cabin and they found one reasonable central because, as we said we would never book a cabin at the very front or back of a ship.

I think they probably had a lot of trouble trying to get people to give that one up as it was very popular, but when you are given an offer you cannot refuse............ I suspect they were also looking at people in the cheaper cabins to limit the expense.

There were reports of men with large rulers and clipboards present on that cruise, so it was assumed Phoenix Reisen had asked for prior access to the ship so they could do a good survey. Hence we suspect the cost of our new cruise may have been funded by Phoenix Reisen.

Yes it is a package. I had a similar problem when they re-graded Aurora to an Adult Only ship. We were having a family gathering for our golden wedding, needless to say it messed up all my plans. If you look at the P & O terms and conditions in their brochure you will see that they have covered themselves for these eventualities.

Yes it is a package. I had a similar problem when they re-graded Aurora to an Adult Only ship. We were having a family gathering for our golden wedding, needless to say it messed up all my plans. If you look at the P & O terms and conditions in their brochure you will see that they have covered themselves for these eventualities.

Please could I ask. Did and P and O offer a “substitute package of equivalent or superior quality” as per the Package Travel regulations 1992.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums