Weather Christmas Canaries

Alan & Giselle

I am looking at booking for 2018 but wanted an idea what sort of weather to expect. I know it won’t be exactly the same but it will be a good guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you would be better googling average weather conditions for the last 10 years, rather than looking at one year in isolation.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We were there this past Christmas and New Year ....we had a very calm outward journey but the weather when we arrived was not as good as it was two years previously.......it was warm but not necessarily sunny.....two years previously it was very warm and sunny and we swam in the sea but not this time.....we had a bit of a bumpy ride back to UK missing Lisbon.

I don't know which ship itinerary you may be looking at but would suggest you choose an itinerary which calls at a port before Christmas.....our first port was on Boxing Day this time which gave 4 days at sea first......our previous one had Lisbon as a call on Christmas Eve which was far better and more balanced somehow.....just my opinion of course!!!!

As Jenny Wren said the weather was not as warm as we expected. Good idea to choose the itenerary that calls at Lisbon on Christmas eve as a lot of passengers thought there was no atmosphere over Christmas due to the amount of days at sea.

I would also like to add that we were very disappointed in the ports as they were all container ports which meant shuttle buses in every port. My husband uses a wheelchair and found it very difficult to get a place onthe buses.

Personally we would not go to the Canaries again over christmas and new year as we did not enjoy.

P and O need to look at other itineraries for the festive season as people are getting fed up of the same old ports of call.

We have booked Oriana for Christmas. It will be our first cruise over the holidays, although we did a pree Christmas on Oceana a few years ago and she was beautifully decorated.

like you we are after a bit of Winter sunshine but wanted the convenience of Southampton as we will have my mother wit us.

Not sure what to expect but I don't expect it to be ear to ear Christmas, Although I am hoping for a a bit of a carol service on Christmas day kinda assuming that will be a formal night with a Christmas Dinner. but I think this elusive Christmas atmosphere is what you make it.

We will have a few decorations for the cabin and perhaps something for the door. We will join in activities and hope the entertainment crew do a few festive things, but we have always found a cruise is what you make it. We did Oriana twice last year (along with an Azamara) and the Oriana's were both great cruises.

Food wish in the main dinning room we felt had improved over previous years and drinks prices were so reasonable you never hesitated in buying what you wanted.

Entertainment was mixed, with some excellent and some dire, but then it is personal choice. Day time entertainment varied and it was obvious on the two cruises that we had two different entertainment managers and both were good in their own way.

So we are going with an open mind and really looking forward to it.

Hope to see you on board

Julie

we have cruised every year in December for 7 years, and every year has been different weather wise. we've had very calm still seas in the bay of Biscay. (that was different!) and stormy heavy seas other years. it's a lottery really, but as long as you are a good sailor it will be fine.

the canaries are usually warm enough to sit on the beach, and have about 6 hours of sunshine, but remember December is their rainy season!. so an umbrella is very handy as the showers can come sometimes.