Military Benefit

veedee

It's also less and on a scale according to cabin category. I haven't got a problem with that inasmuch as whatever the amount, it's a bonus. However if you then apply to have share holder benefit credited to your obc, the military benefit will be deducted. You can't have both and the one worth more is applied and the other disregarded.

Well that is interesting isn’t it. Good job we have one but others might not

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/military

I guess it brings the military in line with other jobs with union membership and the like that get discount.

I know the NHS has a discount card too - are there any other groups that are eligible? Public servants per chance [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

However with princess you get more & KEEP any Shareholder OBC. But remember that P&O give Military OBC to the spouse as well but Princess do not.

I never did understand the 'spouse' element and wouldn't have an issue if that wasn't the case. However, what I don't understand is that if you have bought shares in the Company why that then disqualifies you from Military Benefit if you would otherwise be eligible for it? Why should those who have shares be discriminated against and unable to claim military benefit which they would get if not shareholders? The two are completely separate.

And I've just thought of another aspect to this which confuses me: my DH is the one who qualifies for Military Benefit and the share holding is in my name and appears only on my obc, not his as only one share holder benefits can be applied per cabin. OK, then but why does my DH lose his military benefit when he's not getting the share holding benefit?

It's not how much money is involved but the principle of why one cancels out your eligibility for the other.

Another thing I don't understand is why on other Carnival brands where the onboard currency is US$ that the share holder benefit is worth 22% more than on P&O where it is paid in GBP? Why aren't they more or less equivalent allowing for a bit of roundindg up or down to the nearest round number?

Logic would expect comparability. :confused:

Edited by kruzseeka

Actually did me a favour needing the card as I didn't have one. Now I have a discount on my travel to join the cruise as well.

Oh what travel have you used please, as we have a Defence discount card and to be honest haven’t actually used it much.

The only time that you keep any OBC you receive when booking as well as military OBC is if the fare is of the SELECT status. Earlier saver does not entitle you to Military OBC.

Sorry that is incorrect based on my recent experience. We have just paid the final balance on a Select Fare booking. The military benefit was applied automatically at booking (they have evidence of eligibility on file) but when I subsequently applied for the share holder benefit, which you can only do after full payment, the military benefit was removed and share holder applied. I rang P&O to ask why the obc hadn't been increased by the amount I expected and received the explanation that share holding and military benefits were not combinable. They will actually apply whichever is the greater but it still begs the question as to why shareholders cannot have the military benefit - the qualification to apply for these two benefits are completely different and one of them you've paid for!

Edited by kruzseeka

I agree I can understand why perhaps you can’t get a welcome back benefit and the military benefit, but the shareholders benefit should be combinable with any other benefit. Perhaps all the shareholders should complain about this. Unfortunately we are not one of those.

Kruzseeka I apologise if I didn't explain properly. What I mean is that if you book a cruise and receive OBC at the time and the fare is Select then you can also apply the Military OBC. However I agree with you that if you have shareholder benefit as well that as you say is not added until the balance is paid, then this will then change the process and you will lose one or the other.. But in my reply I did not refer to Shareholder benefit. I hope this clarifys my comment??

I also have shareholder benefits and do not have this problem with Princess. (Maybe it is because the vast majority of their clients are American and would not stand for it.) Sometimes I think we are too laid back and scared to make a fuss? I have cancelled my next 2 cruises with P&O and gone back to Princess where you are still treated as a customer.

Kruzseeka I apologise if I didn't explain properly. What I mean is that if you book a cruise and receive OBC at the time and the fare is Select then you can also apply the Military OBC. However I agree with you that if you have shareholder benefit as well that as you say is not added until the balance is paid, then this will then change the process and you will lose one or the other.. But in my reply I did not refer to Shareholder benefit. I hope this clarifys my comment??

I also have shareholder benefits and do not have this problem with Princess. (Maybe it is because the vast majority of their clients are American and would not stand for it.) Sometimes I think we are too laid back and scared to make a fuss? I have cancelled my next 2 cruises with P&O and gone back to Princess where you are still treated as a customer.

Thanks for the clarification - sorry I assumed you were including share holder benefit in your reply. Obviously I didn't read it carefully enough and jumped to conclusions.

I do agree with you that there is an element of shabby treatment compared with the American based lines - undoubtedly due to passenger demographic. I'm sure a case could be made for discrimation but as DH says, were you to make a fuss they could change the criteria or withdraw some of these benefits altogether. We're at their mercy in this respect. Glad you feel you are treated more fairly and/or with greater respect on Princess. Enjoy your cruises with them.

I am pretty certain I have read somewhere that Shareholder Benefit IS compatible with MIlitary Benefit. I was of the understanding that Military Benefit was not compatible with extra OBC from promotions etc, but fine with Shareholder Benefits. .... but I can't find the relevant piece.

PS I have found this :

Not combinable with Early Savers, Savers, Onboard Bookings or Thank you for cruising offers or Partnership benefits. booked on a P&O Cruises Select Fare only.

Shareholder Benefits are not Partnership benefits nor any category of the above, so surely you should be OK?

Edited by Scriv

I am pretty certain I have read somewhere that Shareholder Benefit IS compatible with MIlitary Benefit. I was of the understanding that Military Benefit was not compatible with extra OBC from promotions etc, but fine with Shareholder Benefits. .... but I can't find the relevant piece.

PS I have found this :

Not combinable with Early Savers, Savers, Onboard Bookings or Thank you for cruising offers or Partnership benefits. booked on a P&O Cruises Select Fare only.

Shareholder Benefits are not Partnership benefits nor any category of the above, so surely you should be OK?

Well that's interesting. It's definitely been removed from our booking as described above and as I said when I rang that's what they confirmed. Hmm....... I just assumed the 'Parthership' reference related to shares but if you are correct, then it's even more confusing.

Well that's interesting. It's definitely been removed from our booking as described above and as I said when I rang that's what they confirmed. Hmm....... I just assumed the 'Parthership' reference related to shares but if you are correct, then it's even more confusing.

I may not be correct kruzseeka, but I would definitely query that further! In writing.... and let us know!

I may not be correct kruzseeka, but I would definitely query that further! In writing.... and let us know!
I think you are correct Scriv. Shareholder benefit is compatible with other benefits. Military benefit is not compatible with any other promotional offer of extra OBC e.g. booking on board. I have just returned from a Cruise where I received both Military benefit and my shareholder benefit. If they withdrew shareholder benefit I think a lot of people would be looking to sell shares.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

I think you are correct Scriv. Shareholder benefit is compatible with other benefits. Military benefit is not compatible with any other promotional offer of extra OBC e.g. booking on board. I have just returned from a Cruise where I received both Military benefit and my shareholder benefit. If they withdrew shareholder benefit I think a lot of people would be looking to sell shares.

I agree with your sentiments. This new arrangement only came into force on 1.3.18 so perhaps the full payment for your cruise was made before that date so wasn't affected.

I agree with your sentiments. This new arrangement only came into force on 1.3.18 so perhaps the full payment for your cruise was made before that date so wasn't affected.
You may well be right Kruzseeka. It will be interesting to see what happens when I pay for my next cruise which will be quite soon. At least this thread has highlighted the changes since March 2018. I don't think anyone has been informed about needing the military discount card now to obtain the benefit. I have just applied for ours.

I know the NHS has a discount card too - are there any other groups that are eligible? Public servants per chance [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Holders of a Blue Light Card can get a discount on P&O cruises as well as at multiple businesses, shops and restaurants. The cards cost £5 for 5 years and are available to current and retired members of any U.K. emergency services.

I've just checked the Cunard site - Military Benefit combinable with other obc!

Decided to ask the question of P&O - as I've said before, it's not the money but the principle of why P&O discrimate against shareholders in this respect.

Advice please on best email address to send it to. Will let you know if I get a response and what that is!

I've just checked the Cunard site - Military Benefit combinable with other obc!

Decided to ask the question of P&O - as I've said before, it's not the money but the principle of why P&O discrimate against shareholders in this respect.

Advice please on best email address to send it to. Will let you know if I get a response and what that is!

Why not email 'shareholder benefits. They should be able to tell you what you want to know. I cannot find anything on the P&O website that gives any example of when shareholder benefits would be withdrawn.

I have searched ask.pocruises.com with the following that I quote:

Military Benefit not combinable with Early Savers, Savers, Onboard Bookings, or Thank You for cruising offers, or Partnership Benefits. booked on a P&O Select Fare only.

Shareholder Benefit will not be granted if your booking is booked through a Friends and Family offer, TIS(Travel Industry Services) or a complementary booking. All other fare types are currently combinable with shareholder benefits.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners 5 cruise lines 143 ports