Is there a “best side of the ship” on a Rhine cruise from Basel to Amsterdam?

Europeantraveler1

Hello fellow river cruisers!!

Anyone out there who has taken a Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam?

I’d like to know if it makes any difference which side of the ship you choose for your stateroom?

We’ll be cruising (first-time river cruising) on Avalon’s Tranquility II in 2019 and would like some suggestions and comments on your experience with Avalon.

THANK YOU!!

The best side is the "topside" as there will be equal amounts of scenery on both sides of the ship. In the case of inclement weather, I would recommend either the Panorama Lounge forward, or the Club Lounge aft. We just did this same cruise, on Uniworld, last March. In comparing the Avalon itinerary, it looks like most of your sailing will be during the night, as was ours. The one stretch of daytime cruising, through the Rhine Gorge, is nonstop castles and villages, on both sides of the river.

With regard to Avalon, we did a Danube cruise with them two years ago. We loved the space and layout of our Panorama suite. We also enjoyed the Club Lounge for snacks, and an alternative to the main lounge.

The Rhine is a great itinerary-enjoy!

Robin

Agree topside is best. We just returned from the Rhine a few months ago. I don't think one side of the trip was any more picturesque than the other, and we docked on both sides of the river. Sometimes that meant we were up against a wall, other times a nice view, other times cheek to jowl with another ship. I don't think it pays to worry too much about which side on a cruise like this.