Thailand Feedback

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:53 PM.
#1
Chattanooga, TN, USA
84 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
We are scheduled for the Singapore - Phuket cruise in November.

We are interested in feedback from anyone who has been on any of the Thailand cruises recently.

We were going to take a Thailand cruise the year the Star Clippers quit going to Thailand. Ended up on a Tahiti cruise instead. Not a bad substitute but Thailand has always been on our list so we are excited about this adventure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
142 Days at Sea and Counting
Holland America (57), Star Clippers (42), Windstar (14),
Crystal (10), Viking River (7), NCL (7), Carnival (5)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Star Clipper - Thailand - November 2017
#2
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
We are joining in Singapore next week. Getting quite excited. Will let you know after how it went. This will be our first Clipper cruise. Ever since we stood in Taormina in Sicily overlooking the bay below some 12years ago, and seeing that fabulous ship below, I have wanted to do this.
We are already familiar with the area and will be our 3rd visit to Phuket and Langkawi. Malacca is my favourite town in Malaysia. So much history. First occupied by the Portuguese, then the Dutch before the British, but owes much to the Baba Nonyas - the wealthy Chinese men who married into local families. It is a shame we don't have longer there and the local food is delicious. We won't be doing it, but the tour seems to cover most of the important places. And of then of course, Singapore itself....
#3
Chattanooga, TN, USA
84 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
We had actually looked at going this week as well. We realized that it was my in-laws 50th, with a party and trip with them to plan and pay for, so we delayed our trip to November. We will be very interested in your thoughts when you return home. Bon Voyage!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
142 Days at Sea and Counting
Holland America (57), Star Clippers (42), Windstar (14),
Crystal (10), Viking River (7), NCL (7), Carnival (5)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Star Clipper - Thailand - November 2017
#4
North Yorkshire. UK.
3 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
We are sailing Singapore - Phuket on 1st April, on the Star Clipper. Have done quite a lot of S. E. Asia in the past, but this will be our first cruise. Looking forward to it, and to reading any comments or tips you have Aeros.
#5
UK
21 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Would love to hear how the cruise was Aeros Em. Did you board by tender in Patong? We are booked for next January on a Phuket round trip northwards. Will be our 5th cruise on Star Clippers.
#6
UK
21 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Aeros em
We are joining in Singapore next week. Getting quite excited. Will let you know after how it went. This will be our first Clipper cruise. Ever since we stood in Taormina in Sicily overlooking the bay below some 12years ago, and seeing that fabulous ship below, I have wanted to do this.
We are already familiar with the area and will be our 3rd visit to Phuket and Langkawi. Malacca is my favourite town in Malaysia. So much history. First occupied by the Portuguese, then the Dutch before the British, but owes much to the Baba Nonyas - the wealthy Chinese men who married into local families. It is a shame we don't have longer there and the local food is delicious. We won't be doing it, but the tour seems to cover most of the important places. And of then of course, Singapore itself....
Can you tell us it was? this board is so slow, really keen to hear all about it!
#7
North Yorkshire. UK.
3 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Have to agree with you Ional, it's not exactly a hive of activity on here is it. However, we board Star Clipper in Singapore next Sat 1st April. We sail for one week, then in Thailand for a further week, but I will post our thoughts and experiences on here when we return home.
#8
North Yorkshire. UK.
3 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Have to say that our week long cruise from Singapore to Phuket was terrific. We loved everything about this great "little" ship - Star Clipper.
This is not 5* cruising, but more of a sailing adventure.
The cabins are "cosy", but have everything you need. The food was fantastic at every meal time, - great crew, and a wonderful group of passengers from all over the world, - you will know most of them by the end of the week.
You do need to be reasonably fit as most of the embarking & disembarking is done by tender, and there are a lot of stairs on board.
We are not fans of the huge floating hotel type cruises, but would recommend this to anyone who fancies a small ship cruise with a difference.
Now where shall we book our next Star Clipper cruise ?
#9
Chattanooga, TN, USA
84 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
How was the sailing in Phang Nga Bay? We are contemplating whether to do a Phi Phi Island day trip or a Phang Nga Bay day trip after our cruise is over and before we head home. It depends on how much of Phang Nga Bay we see while on the cruise. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
142 Days at Sea and Counting
Holland America (57), Star Clippers (42), Windstar (14),
Crystal (10), Viking River (7), NCL (7), Carnival (5)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Star Clipper - Thailand - November 2017
#10
North Yorkshire. UK.
3 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
The voyage up through Phang Nga Bay was beautiful. Being quite a small ship, the Clipper gets right in amongst the limestone outcrops and islands. They also do a trip to James Bond island / floating village from the ship. We didn't do this as we had visited both on a previous stay, so we opted for the beach/snorkelling option.
I would advise doing Phi Phi, but go with one of the best tour companies like Phuket Sail Tours or Simba. They will try to avoid the crowds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Clipper - Singapore to Phuket, April 2017.
#11
Chattanooga, TN, USA
84 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by JimmyDee54
The voyage up through Phang Nga Bay was beautiful. Being quite a small ship, the Clipper gets right in amongst the limestone outcrops and islands. They also do a trip to James Bond island / floating village from the ship. We didn't do this as we had visited both on a previous stay, so we opted for the beach/snorkelling option.
I would advise doing Phi Phi, but go with one of the best tour companies like Phuket Sail Tours or Simba. They will try to avoid the crowds.

Thanks. That is exactly the information for which we are looking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
142 Days at Sea and Counting
Holland America (57), Star Clippers (42), Windstar (14),
Crystal (10), Viking River (7), NCL (7), Carnival (5)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Star Clipper - Thailand - November 2017
#13
Isle Of Wight
202 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by joiedevivre
If you go on the quirky cruise website there are 8 or so reviews. My husband and I are going on this cruise Oct.28. The reviews are all good.
Thanks for that - we have just had our December 2018 Thailand cruise confirmed so really looking forward to it now
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Worked for 6 years on Holland America, Cunard, Admiral & Carnival Cruise's having the best time of my life




#14
Denver Co
1,641 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by hobbsie65
Thanks for that - we have just had our December 2018 Thailand cruise confirmed so really looking forward to it now


Are you in the New Years sailing?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Steph

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines and sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover

Carnival Vista (Miami) Southern Caribbean June 3, 2017
Carnival Vista (Miami) Western Caribbean June 11, 2017
Carnival Freedom Caribbean (Galveston) May 2nd, 2015
MSC Armonia Mediterranean May 26, 2014
Carnival Sensation, Bahamas February 2013
Carnival Magic (Galveston) Western Caribbean 2012
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas Mediterranean 2009
MSC Orchestra Eastern Caribbean 2009
Carnival Conquest (Galveston) Western Caribbean 2006
#15
Isle Of Wight
202 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by steph7021
Are you in the New Years sailing?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
No-we are on the 8th December sailing from Phuket
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Worked for 6 years on Holland America, Cunard, Admiral & Carnival Cruise's having the best time of my life




#16
28 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
We did the RT Phuket last March & wish we had signed on for 2 weeks. This is, as many of you know, a very water-oriented line, so most of the beaches were great, esp. Koh Samui. We have been on 9 cruises with them & are doing the Singapore-Bali in 2018. If Arnold is on your ship, sit at "his" tables; you'll have fantastic service!
#17
Trinity County, California
9 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by Ional
Would love to hear how the cruise was Aeros Em. Did you board by tender in Patong? We are booked for next January on a Phuket round trip northwards. Will be our 5th cruise on Star Clippers.
Booked for phuket round trip feb 3 - 10 and 10- 17. Northern and Southern leaving from Patong. Maybe we will be shipmates
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tinatheloop:

[email protected]

Sailing Star Flyer: 3/28/2016

Depart: Montego Bay, Jamaica

Fellow Passengers: Send me an e-mail. Love to meet you.

Justlikehome64 gmail.com
#18
Virginia, USA
15 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I did the Phuket to Singapore trip in February. Great trip - the seas were calm and the shipboard services were excellent as usual. Phang Nga was a great excursion. Not to be missed. Penang and Malacca were interesting ports. The other northern destination were ok if you like snorkeling, but otherwise nothing special.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature