Cruzan Rum Factory

Woodstock_sr

Does anybody know how badly the Cruzan Rum Factory has been hit? We will be there at the end of December and trying to decide whether to book a ship tour to somewhere else (Celebrity don't seem to organise Cruzan tours) or try and arrange a visit ourselves.

We were also wondering if they will have a donation centre for people who want to bring essential goods to the islanders. After the earthquake in Haiti a few years back our hotel in Punta Cana was a collection point for donations of school equipment and childrens clothing.

I don't have definitive information about Cruzan Rum but did hear a couple of weeks ago that both rum factories came through the storm relatively o.k. But I would doubt Cruzan is open just yet due to power issues.

Lack of power and the presence of a curfew (currently 7 p.m. to 9 a.m.) are two big obstacles right now for getting the island back on track. 265 off island power linemen are expected in the territory (all three islands) today so I would think that will be a big boost to the power restoration process.

By your cruise stop in December, I would expect the curfew to be gone and power to be back at places you would visit, but I don't have a crystal ball.

And I love the idea of a donation collection point....no doubt, some smart person will work on that before cruisers and other visitors return to the island.