What equipment to purchase

07rubicon

My DH and I are taking the New Waves Padi certification program. We are not sure what equipment to rent and what to buy. A mask and snorkel is a definite purchase. We will probably also buy a wet suit. A regulator is one option because I want to be sure of how it functions and rentals are icky. I was also thinking it would be good to have a BCD that you know how to operate. We don't want to spend a ton of money since I am not sure how much I will enjoy this. I am still a little nervous but getting more comfortable during my confined dives. We will probably only get 1-2 dives a year in. Thanks for any input

My DH and I are taking the New Waves Padi certification program. We are not sure what equipment to rent and what to buy. A mask and snorkel is a definite purchase. We will probably also buy a wet suit. A regulator is one option because I want to be sure of how it functions and rentals are icky. I was also thinking it would be good to have a BCD that you know how to operate. We don't want to spend a ton of money since I am not sure how much I will enjoy this. I am still a little nervous but getting more comfortable during my confined dives. We will probably only get 1-2 dives a year in. Thanks for any input

Purchase mask, snorkle, boots, fins, full wetsuit 3 mil if diving in Caribbean.

Rent everything else regs should be sanitized by the ships dive shop personel if your not sure of them cleaning the regs ask them about it.

The reason I suggest renting is you could end up investing $1000 each when you are complete and thats alot for 1-2 dives a year

I'd also recommend some safety equipment, like a whistle and a safety sausage. Also, get a small flashlight. Even diving in the clear, warm Caribbean, there are times when it is really handy to have a light, even if it is to see what the true colors of things are when you are at depth. I really like the Ikelite PCa light.

I would look at what you want to spend first.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_948/Snorkel_Packages/1904.html

You need to get personal gear no matter what, but you might want some fins also. I like open heel fins and boots but thats a preference. If you get mask,fins and snorkel then you can always snorkel at no cost on private islands on a cruise.

If you want to get a reg setup and take it then remember that not all fittings are the same. Some operators rental gear cannot be used with a personal regulator. Also remember that a full dive setup for one person takes up a bit of space on a cruise and there is nowhere to rinse and dry in the rooms comfortably (Last cruise I had gear and formal clothes for 2 people).

Third thing to remember is that dive gear is heavy and bulky. You are going to have 30+ pounds of stuff you need to take with you and you need to get it from the cruise to the dive boat.

Just some things to remember

I rarely recommend renting everything, but since you are still a little uncertain about how much you will enjoy diving, I'd say stick with the mask, snorkel, a 3mm shorty, plus the safety stuff already mentioned. Don't go cheap on the mask, but those few things should get you started until you see if you get bit by the diving bug. http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

Personally, I feel every diver should have and know how to use their own complete set of gear. Yes, it's expensive, but research shows if you have your own stuff, you'll dive more, which will make you a better diver and make you want to buy more stuff, which will make you dive more, which will make you a better diver, which will....etc...

Really though, you don't hafta spend a ton of money. Having your own regs and computer is great.

Dale

PADI OWSI

I was just certified in Feb. and I've purchased all of my gear including the bc and regulator. I will be taking it on our upcoming cruise.

I had trouble during the learning process with anxiety, so I didn't want to have to learn rental gear at every new dive. I will feel more confident that I know how it works and where everything is located. For me it's a "one less thing to stress about" since I'm learning to dive. I have enough things to think about, buoancy, etc.

There are a number of reasons to buy all your own equipment. If you are only diving 1 to 2 times a year, saving money is not one of those reasons. However, as Bruce has said, if you buy your own equipment you will be more likely to dive more than 1 to 2 times a year.

If you are renting different equipment every dive, it is harder to work on bouyancy. You know how clean and maintained the equipment is if you own it. You can get something that fits you better (or have better breathing capabilities, i.e. I bought a cold water regulator that will work even when ice diving in case I ever decide to ice dive. It also breathes well upside down (I've rented regs that don't breath well when I'm upside down).

I didn't worry too much about how clean the rental equipment was. I figured if I was going to buy equipment it had better be good because I didn't want to replace it in a few years.

I saw a lot of people who bought all their equipment because the shop had a 'deal'. You buy all the equipment with the training and you get 25% off (or something like that). Some do their first pool dive and find that cannot handle it; they actually hate it. Now they have all the equipment and no need for it. Some are okay in the pool but once they get into open water things are different and they don't like it. Unless they are going to dive in a pool for the rest of their lives, the equipment doesn't get used.

If you are sure you will use the equipment or you are okay spending $1000 and trying to sell it on ebay then buy the equipment right away. Buy everything, except tanks, if you can afford it.

The dive shop where you get certified will probably want to sell you a complete set of equipment. IMO, you would be better off using rental equipment for a few dives to get a feel for which equipment you prefer. There are a lot of choices in BC's, regs, wetsuits, even fins. I would suggest buying a mask, so you're sure to dive with one that fits.

If you think you might do multiple dives in one day or dive two or more days in a row, I highly recommend buying a dive computer. Much more flexible and easier than tables, especially when you're diving with a group where the dive master and other divers might be using computers. When on a cruise where you might dive in several different ports with several different dive ops, it really helps to have a computer. Sometimes the DM's don't explain the dive profile before getting into the water and many times they'll dive differently than they'd planned. How do you use tables safely in such situations? I have seen too many divers in such situations who just followed the DM, counting on him to keep them safe. Problem is, the DM has no idea how much nitrogen you might have from dives on previous days.

image.php?code=0XT13269d6Xk17Xs22XEmerald%20Princess%20SCUBA%20cruise

Of course a dive shop will want to sell you equipment, that is their business. But after working in a dive shop for several years there are a variety of reasons for a person to purchase their own equipment. First and foremost is safety, if you know your equipment you are a safer diver, safer for yourself, safer for your buddy, safer for the diver who is closest to you in the event of an emergency. Next reason, it is life support equipment, you want the best you can afford. Third if you own your own dive gear you will dive. 2 years from now, most divers who don't own their equipment cant count the number of dives on one hand( that is an estimate so those who do rent don't jump all over me.)

If you are looking at equipment, look at the equipment your dive shop sells, it's easier to get service, and keep your warranty in tact. If you trust your instructor to teach you, listen to their advice in the equipment you will need.

Is it easier to fly without dive equipment? Yes it is easier. I consider it a labor of love.

What should you get? Every Scuba class I've ever known requires your own mask, fins & snorkel, so those will go. A good regulator, octopus/Air2 & BC with gauges would be the min IMHO. A computer is a great toy, for the amount of diving the average person does off a cruise ship, a computer isn't required. As an Instructor I made sure all my students knew and were comfortable with pre-dive planning and post dive review. That way they can discuss residual nitrogen times with a different DM every day if they need to. They all knew how to use the tables. The way I scored their written exams was 80% passing. unless you bombed the table questions, that required a retake.

Time again to climb down from my soapbox. Oh yeah, as 20 plus years as an instructor I don't remember any one who had fun in the pool, who did't have fun in the ocean; unless you don't like colorful fish, amazing coral formations and every so often a piece of pirate gold!

The dive shop that's running the course ought to let you know what you need to buy (usually it's the personal gear: mask, snorkel, fins). Don't buy any more than that at first. Without having used the gear, how do you know what kind of gear you prefer? (Do you like a back-inflation BC or do you prefer a jacket style? How do you like your console set up?)

How do you know you'll stick with the sport? What if you hate it? It's great for the rest of us when newbies flood the marked with barely used gear at fire-sale prices. Be an awful bummer for you, though.

If you're only diving once or twice a year, it will never be cost effective to buy. Gear needs annual inspection and service--even if you don't use it. Cheaper to rent. (Also, diving twice a year is not enough to keep up your skills. You're going to need annual refresher courses before diving.)

Individual differences in gear? Nope. It all works the same way. Standardized, for the very same reason weight belts are always worn right hand release. BCs vary slightly, like in the location of back dump valves. Familiarize yourself with the rental on the boat ride out. You should be doing that anyway, with your own gear and your buddy's. If you're only diving a couple of times per year, this will be a crucial part of your pre-dive checklist anyway.

If your instructor "suggests" you buy all your gear upfront, run. Run far and fast. He's telling you he's primarily a salesman, and you need to one who's primarily an instructor.

I am a once or twice a year cruise ship novice diver. I have all of my personal equipment (mask, fins, snorkel, booties) obviously, but I just invested in a dive computer for my next trip in April. I do not intend to invest in a BCD, reg, octo set up yet, as the maintenance will far outweight the benefits of having my own, as I do not plan to dive more frequently at the present time.

Archived