Medical Insurance for pre-existing medical conditions (Cruising from LA-Auckland)

Can anyone recommend a Travel Insurance company (down NZ/OZ way or in the USA) that will cover pre-existing medical conditions, including medical evacuation at sea. My husband had a couple of issues last June which have been attended to, there is no ongoing treatment or medication, just the annual health check-up with his GP (in Dec this year). We have always used the complimentary Mastercard Platinum insurance but now it won't cover PEC (full cover is available for everything else). My husband is quite well, just want to have peace of mind "just in case" ... Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I am surprised you can't get cover with your platinum card. We went with complimentary CC insurance last December for a short cruise. It was a MasterCard (Citibank) platinum card and they accepted my husbands pre-existing medical condition of COAD & hypertension on numerous medications. We only had to pay a small admin fee and we were sent official documentation via email covering these conditions. Citibank take out the insurance with Allianz. I may depend on the PEMC.

I am surprised you can't get cover with your platinum card. We went with complimentary CC insurance last December for a short cruise. It was a MasterCard (Citibank) platinum card and they accepted my husbands pre-existing medical condition of COAD & hypertension on numerous medications. We only had to pay a small admin fee and we were sent official documentation via email covering these conditions. Citibank take out the insurance with Allianz. I may depend on the PEMC.

Nope, our Platinum Card is with Westpac and they definitely WILL not cover arrhythmia (diagnosed in June last year, sorted by cardioversion, no further treatment or problems since, and no medication involved). They did (and will) provide cover for trips to Oz and South Pacific but NOT the US. We can get cover through the US travel agent we are booking with but its a comprehensive cover, and we only need the PEMC part. It's also with Allianz. I was just wondering if anyone else on CC had any experience, like yourself. I wonder if Citibank would cover this? Might look at that for next time). Thank you very much for your post.

Please be careful that whatever travel insurance you are considering applies to your country of residence. Most policies require the insured to be resident in the country where the cover is issued eg a US resident could not purchase a policy from an Australian insurer

Read the policy requirements carefully before taking it out

Good luck in obtaining cover from one pre-existing cover person to another - and please don't take a risk on cover in the US as an unexpected event could get very expensive

Hmmmm. Will test this out soon as we are booked on a Sydney-Hawaii-Sydney cruise in August. Plan on ringing Allianz CC complimentary insurance line re PEMC the day I pay for the tickets with cc. Will be interested in their response re USA. May have to fork out big $$s for travel insurance. Will keep CCs followers posted as many utilise credit card comp. insurance. Actually there has been a large volume of posts re travel insurance just recently. I would suggest you do a search on here and read a few of the posts for recommendations.

We recently used platinum c/c insurance through allianz for 6 week trip to USA. Had to pay small extra amount to cover husband who has had CABG - way cheaper than any other insurance and very few would cover his heart condition. Had to put in claim for 4 day hospital stay for me in Canada was very impressed with claims process. Hope this helps.

We recently used platinum c/c insurance through allianz for 6 week trip to USA. Had to pay small extra amount to cover husband who has had CABG - way cheaper than any other insurance and very few would cover his heart condition. Had to put in claim for 4 day hospital stay for me in Canada was very impressed with claims process. Hope this helps.

Lynda - which bank was your card through? Thanks in advance for your response.

I use Insure & Go Australia cruise insurance. They have an online questionnaire to complete for pre-existing conditions and will cover lots for free and others for an additional small premium. All completed online at the time of completing the quote. I have found them excellent as i was born with a congenital birth defect that most insurers have never heard off & hence would not cover as they didn't know what it was. It is included in the insure and go database and popped up first time (a huge surprise) and they cover it for free. Including on 4 trips to the usa. And they give a certificate to show im covered for this

I use Insure & Go Australia cruise insurance. They have an online questionnaire to complete for pre-existing conditions and will cover lots for free and others for an additional small premium. All completed online at the time of completing the quote. I have found them excellent as i was born with a congenital birth defect that most insurers have never heard off & hence would not cover as they didn't know what it was. It is included in the insure and go database and popped up first time (a huge surprise) and they cover it for free. Including on 4 trips to the usa. And they give a certificate to show im covered for this

Thanks for that - I will check it out!

Please be careful that whatever travel insurance you are considering applies to your country of residence. Most policies require the insured to be resident in the country where the cover is issued eg a US resident could not purchase a policy from an Australian insurer

Read the policy requirements carefully before taking it out

Good luck in obtaining cover from one pre-existing cover person to another - and please don't take a risk on cover in the US as an unexpected event could get very expensive

Thanks for that. Will get the policy wording and check carefully. Would prefer to try and source it nearer to home but it's knowing where to start. Recommendations on this site are so super-helpful.

Hmmmm. Will test this out soon as we are booked on a Sydney-Hawaii-Sydney cruise in August. Plan on ringing Allianz CC complimentary insurance line re PEMC the day I pay for the tickets with cc. Will be interested in their response re USA. May have to fork out big $$s for travel insurance. Will keep CCs followers posted as many utilise credit card comp. insurance. Actually there has been a large volume of posts re travel insurance just recently. I would suggest you do a search on here and read a few of the posts for recommendations.

Thanks - look forward to hearing about how you get on.

We use Travel Guard for any cruise to anywhere in the world that we go on.

When we did have to, unfortunately, cancel a cruise at the very last moment because of medical reasons, they were great.

As long as you are able to cruise on the day that you book, and get insurance within 15 days of booking, pre-existing is covered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have one AF event so that make travel insurance a problem.

Now use a broker and get insurance with BUPA. Annual travel insurance for periods of up to 30 days $USD300 + for a year!

OP - Email me - pjmekelly at gmail dot com and I can refer you to my broker.

I have one AF event so that make travel insurance a problem.

Now use a broker and get insurance with BUPA. Annual travel insurance for periods of up to 30 days $USD300 + for a year!

OP - Email me - pjmekelly at gmail dot com and I can refer you to my broker.

Hi Margot - I have emailed you, many thanks