Eielson Visitor Center

kathyemma

We have decided to ditch the TWT thru HAL and take the bus to Eielson in hopes of catching a ranger hike at noon. Has anyone been on the ranger hike? How long of a hike? If we catch an early shuttle - do we have time to stop along the way to Eielson or should we stay on the shuttle and go directly to Eielson to make the noon hike? Also, do I need to buy the tickets now? Do they sell out? Or would we be fine buying them that day.

I read another post that mentioned the Savage River shuttle and hike. Do you think we that would be a good thing to do after Denali or should we find something else? We have booked a tour with the husky homestead for the night before. This is our only full day in Denali so I want to see as much as possible.

TIA

Edited by kathyemma

You would probably not want to get off unless you are on a very early shuttle. The morning shuttle buses go out full and if you wanted to get off and hike and then get back on, you might have to wait a while for a shuttle with empty seats. The hike is decided on by the ranger according to weather, group size and ability, etc. I would buy the tickets as soon as possible. The visitor's center is worth some time. Lots of interesting artwork including a beautiful wall quilt by Ree Nancarrow.

I prefer to go to Savage River as an after-dinner thing. The last shuttle goes out around 8:30pm and comes back around 10pm. It is nice and quiet then as most of the buses have finished for the day and you tend to see a few more animals. If Denali is out, you can catch a nice sunset picture depending on the time of year.

You would probably not want to get off unless you are on a very early shuttle. The morning shuttle buses go out full and if you wanted to get off and hike and then get back on, you might have to wait a while for a shuttle with empty seats. The hike is decided on by the ranger according to weather, group size and ability, etc. I would buy the tickets as soon as possible. The visitor's center is worth some time. Lots of interesting artwork including a beautiful wall quilt by Ree Nancarrow.

I prefer to go to Savage River as an after-dinner thing. The last shuttle goes out around 8:30pm and comes back around 10pm. It is nice and quiet then as most of the buses have finished for the day and you tend to see a few more animals. If Denali is out, you can catch a nice sunset picture depending on the time of year.

Any clue how long it takes to get to the visitors center?

Thanks for the suggestion on making Savage River an after dinner thing - that sounds like a nice way to end the day.

Kathy

Kathyemma: We live about 2 to 2.25 hours north of Denali, so go down frequently. The shuttle trip into Eielson is about 8 hours total. Depending on how frequently and long a shuttle stops when wildlife is spotted, it could take 4 hours to reach Eielson, but 3 to 3.5 hours would be much more typical.

Kathyemma: We live about 2 to 2.25 hours north of Denali, so go down frequently. The shuttle trip into Eielson is about 8 hours total. Depending on how frequently and long a shuttle stops when wildlife is spotted, it could take 4 hours to reach Eielson, but 3 to 3.5 hours would be much more typical.

Northern Aurora - thanks! When I was on the NPS website it made it sound like Ranger lead hikes are at noon - are they AT noon or do they start at noon?

Kathy

Frankly, I find this a very costly choice for you. You won't be getting any refund from HAL, plus you will be paying - more??? You are throwing away $136 each. Not sure about your- at/start question? I find it the same thing? This is a basic ranger program, yes, I have done it as well, It's a nice option, but hardly worth the effort that you are considering- again, just my opinion. I'd instead suggest you, consider the Savage Loop trail, at your leisure You don't mention your schedule with HAL, where you are coming from and the transit, but a superior option if you have time, would be to take advantage of your TWT and purchase an additional Eielson shuttle bus. Go as far as you want, get off where you want.

Additionally, how are you planning to get to the the shuttle bus, if you continue with your current Eielson plan? .