Tui Cruises Mein Schiff 3 Bremerhaven to Majorca 11 Sep 2018

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:13 PM.
Melbourne Victoria Australia
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by BlueBear4Travel
If you take a closer look at the pricing, you´ll see that on TUIcruises there is no service charge per day and no special drinks package, since all drinks are already included in the price.
Thanks for clarifying this point BlueBear4Travel.

So as I understand it, the Premium All Inclusive package covers all wines beers and spirits and cocktails are "free" during the course of the cruise (presumably up to a pre-determined price/quality) and available at all bars and restaurants (as appropriate to the venue)?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Munich, Germany
44 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
This will also be my first TuiCruise, but the way I understand it, yes. Only if you want a special champagne or let´s say higher quality whiskey you´ll have to pay for it.
Also they will have nespresso-coffee makers in the cabin (2 of these coffee caps per day free) and water dispensers on all decks where you can "draft" your own water to take into the cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

05/21/2017 to 06/02/2017: Costa Mediterranea - Savona to Stockholm
10/20/2016 to 11/01/2016: MSC Opera - Genova to Black Sea
05/16/2016 to 05/20/2016 RCCL Enchantment Of The Seas - Miami to Caribbean

09/28/2013 to 10/05/2013 : NCL Gem
09/22/2012 to 29/09/2012 : MSC Spendida

146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Windstarke 8

My kind Deutsche friend has sent me a book and DVD on the immigrant ships leaving from Bremen with the title Windstarke 8 which is a report of the sea passage of emigrants to Amerika. This was a 1919 build, 247 tons 3 mast top sail schooner Fridtjof Nansen and was "baptised" in Bremen.

He relates - The original SS Ohio my Great Grandfather traveled on in 1857 was a 3 mast barque of 450 tons. The emigrants lived in a tween deck unless they could afford cabins, and passengers were not allowed on deck.

The sailing ships took the same track through the North Sea to the English Channel like the MV Mein Schiff 3 will do.The sailing ships required easterly winds. The "Strait of Dover" which is a small channel where you can see both coasts in good weather, but is very dangerous for sailing ships with strong currents (6 miles speed) and changing winds. Often conditions included fog and raining.

Before entering the Atlantic Ocean, sailing ships waited in the Bay of Falmouth for convenient winds.

Steering southerly they passed the formidable Bay of Biscay, with high waves and wind. After passing the Cape of Finisterre, the wind is mostly northern, very good for sailing ships south bound.

Mein Schiff 3 will leave the track of the SS Ohio on the height of Gibraltar and will steer into the Mediterranean Sea. The sailing ships would then head south chasing the trade winds.

At the trackpoint Cape Verde islands near the equator, American bound sailnig ships steered westward direction toward the Antilles, those to Australia crossed southward to the Cape of Good Hope.

I am sure we will experience a considerable difference in the luxury and comfort on board Mein Schiff 3 compared to the cramped conditions of the Emigrant sailing ships and I hope that I can sight some of the highlighted points of interest that the original sailors would have used as landmarks in their voyage to the "New World" in the 1850's.

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by BlueBear4Travel
This will also be my first TuiCruise, but the way I understand it, yes. Only if you want a special champagne or let´s say higher quality whiskey you´ll have to pay for it.
Also they will have nespresso-coffee makers in the cabin (2 of these coffee caps per day free) and water dispensers on all decks where you can "draft" your own water to take into the cabin.
Yes. The drink menu in the bars had the list of all available drinks with the words inbegriffen (included) or the price on the following pages. I remember a bar and a section of the ship where everything had a price. We stuck to the included drinks. Prosecco with the appetizer, then white, red wine or beer or juices and water with dinner.

The water dispensers' purpose is to cut down on plastic bottles. Bring your own container to take on excursions. They do sell them in the ship's shops if you forgot one. There is a glass carafe for water in the cabin, not practical for excursions.

Mein Schiff 1 had a small refrigerator in the cabin as it is customary on American ships. Drinks in there were not free. The later ship purposely built for the German market did not have a refrigerator in our balcony/veranda cabin.

I think there is a section on the ship where you pay for drinks and coffee. The specialty restaurants are also for a fee, but there are enough included restaurants.
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Hi Floridiana,

I will look for the words inbegriffen and most likely manage my drinks from this section of the bar menu.

Thank you for the helpful tips regarding water containers.

I just informed my BH that she might strike nudity in the sauna but she can wear her swimsuit in need. Not sure how she will manage this!

Cheers.

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Kevin,

BH means bra in German. ;-)

And to continue the language lesson: the word "Deutsche" with an e at the end is a) eine Deutsche = a German woman or b) the plural, Deutsche = Germans.
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Floridiana
Kevin,

BH means bra in German. ;-)

And to continue the language lesson: the word "Deutsche" with an e at the end is a) eine Deutsche = a German woman or b) the plural, Deutsche = Germans.
Hi Floridiana.

I had to laugh at my poor use of acronym BH in this instance. Of course I meant my better half- Meine Frau.

I have been doing Deutsch lessons for two and a half years and this is the first time someone has explained the feminine "e" for eine / plural Deutsche relating to German/Germany!. I should have realised.

I hope that I can survive with basic conversational German on the cruise and will be continuing lessons until the trip commences.

Cheers,

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
BREMERHAVEN PORT: MUST VISIT DEUTSCHES - AUSWANDERER - HAUS

Last Friday my excellent German friends visited the"Deutsches- Auswanderer-Haus" in Bremerhaven and advised us about the Emigration Museum

"It is great. It shows a real illusion of emigrants living on board of sail and steamships. You can see the life-histories of hundreds of emigrants, documented with fotos and letters.Each station there are telefones, for hearing about exponates.

I forgot to ask, hearing in Englisch is possible too. There is one room for family searching. We saw all dates and pictures about your grand-grandfather (that) you inserted in ancestry. You will find all German emigrants worldwide by name.

When you come next year,you must visite this Haus"

I couldn't ask for a better recommendation. He advised we should allow about 2 hours minimum to explore the exhibition.

We are looking forward to it before we board Mein Schiff 3 for an afternoon departure.

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Gibraltar Excursions:
In Port 800-1800. Temperatures 20-27 degrees in September, Average rainfall 20 mm over 8 days in September
A review of in Port activities from Cruise Critic Reviews shows in order of rating
1. Gibraltar Museum (1 review only)
2.Rock of Gibraltar
2.St Michaels Cave
3. Apes Den
4. Great Siege Tunnels
5. World War 11 Tunnels
6. Fortress Gibraltar
7 City Under Siege Exhibition
8 City Tour
9 Dolphin Watch
10 Alameda Gardens

In addition Trip Advisor has the additional points of interest:
* Mediterranean Steps (high level of activity)
* Moorish Castle
* Ocean Village

Most activities listed have entry fees or are part of a tour so I would be interested in what piques the interest of other travelers.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences in Gibraltar on what is great to do, including walking around the old fortress, eateries and sights.

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Maverine
Hi tuffydog,
we won´t be on this particular cruise but we´ll try "Mein Schiff" for the first time in November, too. We are Germans but since we have cruised mostly with american cruiselines before, we love CC and met a lot of nice people at the M&M onboard (also from Australia ) .
I don´t live in the north of Germany so I won´t be able to tell you much about Bremen or Bremerhaven but if you have questions about Germany or "Mein Schiff" feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer
TUI is not well represented on CC, I found you thread looking for our cruise. There is a german forum called pooldeck24 which provides a lot of information about "Mein Schiff". Maybe you want to post there, there even might be a roll call for your cruise.
Hope you will enjoy your cruise and Germany! I hope to be able to visit Australia once, too.
Maria
Hi Maria, you are correct in Tui not being well represented on CC. Indeed whilst there have been over 2000 reads, we are yet to find any fellow cruisers on Cruise Critic.

I am astounded with the interest on reading our blog, but wonder if these readers are English/Thomson Cruises UK cruisers. I think that they charter and use certain Tui ships.

I have registered on the German website and made a couple of posts and can read contributions. Because of my poor German, I cannot now locate the login area (like CC) or are blocked from making another contribution.

My Username there is Ruffydog if you have time to look.

Your advice on login would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin

PS How was the Cruise in November? Which MS was it and what was the route?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Tuffydog
Hi Maria, you are correct in Tui not being well represented on CC. Indeed whilst there have been over 2000 reads, we are yet to find any fellow cruisers on Cruise Critic.

I am astounded with the interest on reading our blog, but wonder if these readers are English/Thomson Cruises UK cruisers. I think that they charter and use certain Tui ships.

I have registered on the German website and made a couple of posts and can read contributions. Because of my poor German, I cannot now locate the login area (like CC) or are blocked from making another contribution.

My Username there is Ruffydog if you have time to look.

Your advice on login would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin

PS How was the Cruise in November? Which MS was it and what was the route?
HI Maria , My German tutor has helped me find the login section. I feel like a dill!

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Tuffydog,

I am just back from our cruise on Mein Schiff 5 and learned something: no need to learn the word 'inbegriffen'. The drink menu says 'inklusive'.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Tuffydog,

I am just back from our cruise on Mein Schiff 5 and learned something: no need to learn the word 'inbegriffen'. The drink menu says 'inklusive'.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you Floridiana.

How was MS 5 and the ports of call?

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
The ship is fabulous. It has a lot of indoor space and doesn't feel cramped at all. We had 2 600 passengers which means that several cabins had 3 passengers. I guess they were very young children and babies. None of them bothersome.

Since many people had booked the cruise to get away from the abysmal German fall/winter weather, the outdoor areas around the pool and on the higher sun decks were packed, sardines in a can come to mind.

Food was good to excellent, but we shouldn't have bothered with the pay restaurants.

I loved this itinerary, maybe not as much as the Baltic and Norway, but these emerging cities are simply fascinating. Their architecture is very varied. The United Arab Emirates are only 46 years old, sand, water and palm frond shacks in the fifties, then wham! the oil boom! Bahrain, Qatar and Dubai have lots of construction sites and the accompanying traffic jams. The Souk in Muscat still had shops for locals not just tourist souvenirs.

If you do this itinerary on a German ship, arrange your own tours or combine taxis with the rail in Dubai or use the Hop off hop on bus whose tickets they sell in the ship's lobby. Our guides were German speaking from countries that have lost much of their tourist trade, Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Sri Lanka. One guide spoke English, but the ship provided a translator.

English is widely spoken and the common language for locals and guest workers. Guest workers make up 50% to 90% of the population depending on the country.
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
The ship is fabulous. It has a lot of indoor space and doesn't feel cramped at all. We had 2 600 passengers which means that several cabins had 3 passengers. I guess they were very young children and babies. None of them bothersome.

Since many people had booked the cruise to get away from the abysmal German fall/winter weather, the outdoor areas around the pool and on the higher sun decks were packed, sardines in a can come to mind.

Food was good to excellent, but we shouldn't have bothered with the pay restaurants.

I loved this itinerary, maybe not as much as the Baltic and Norway, but these emerging cities are simply fascinating. Their architecture is very varied. The United Arab Emirates are only 46 years old, sand, water and palm frond shacks in the fifties, then wham! the oil boom! Bahrain, Qatar and Dubai have lots of construction sites and the accompanying traffic jams. The Souk in Muscat still had shops for locals not just tourist souvenirs.

If you do this itinerary on a German ship, arrange your own tours or combine taxis with the rail in Dubai or use the Hop off hop on bus whose tickets they sell in the ship's lobby. Our guides were German speaking from countries that have lost much of their tourist trade, Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Sri Lanka. One guide spoke English, but the ship provided a translator.

English is widely spoken and the common language for locals and guest workers. Guest workers make up 50% to 90% of the population depending on the country.
Just a question, and in relation to an earlier comment you made on the class of Mein Schiff ships, is MS3 and MS5 of the same class/style and facilities offered?

MS 5 sounds great and I can't wait to experience MS3.

Kevin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
The present MS1 and 2 are the same old Celebrity ships of the same class as far as I know. They will be sold and replaced by MS 7 and 8 which will then be renamed MS 1 and 2.

MS 3 and 4 are the same class and almost identical.
MS 5 and 6 are a few meters longer and almost identical to each other.

The art work is different on each ship. MS 5's restaurants and décor was different from MS 4, but there are more similarities than differences. I think MS 5 had some improved features compared to MS4, all in the restaurants and public spaces. But MS 5 has not roof over one of the pools whereas MS 4 had a roof over the smaller pool.

Annoying features on all the TUI ships, just be prepared: Passengers are allowed to smoke on balconies despite the fact that the majority of passengers are non smokers. Standing in line is not always enforced, lots of pushy people. It's not as bad as in China, but as bad as on the French ship Ponant. I also didn't like that some passengers came back from excursions into the buffet restaurant with their backpacks and shopping bags. I think we should all go back to our cabin, put our stuff there and thoroughly wash our hands before showing up in a ship's restaurant. The ship has free (included) food 24/7, no need to rush anywhere.

Excellent on MS 5: Public restroom doors open with a switch when going in and automatically when coming out. Reminders for hand washing and sanitizing are at the exit door. You can't get out without brushing past them. In addition to hand sanitizers everywhere, restaurants also have (elegant) sinks at the entrance.
146 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Mein Schiff 3 & 4 are the best in their fleet.

Rated #4 at sea.

Not finished yet, still much to do, but probably most comprehensive: All about Mein Schiff.
Enjoy!

Yes, I do agree that their cruises are quite expensive.
This brand is a kind of RCI umbrella, so as things are going downhill, the other two ships (#4 & #5) are following the trend.
But the beginning (#3 & #4) was fantastic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Top Best Cruise Ships 2018 - 2019
146 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by ronbe65
Mein Schiff 3 & 4 are the best in their fleet.

Rated #4 at sea.

Not finished yet, still much to do, but probably most comprehensive: All about Mein Schiff.
Enjoy!

Yes, I do agree that their cruises are quite expensive.
This brand is a kind of RCI umbrella, so as things are going downhill, the other two ships (#4 & #5) are following the trend.
But the beginning (#3 & #4) was fantastic!
Thanks for your post Ronbe65,

I found the links provided a spectacular visual insight into the MS 3 facilities and decor .

We are impressed.,

I will spend some more time reviewing the videos.

Cheers

Kevin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature