How much weight might I gain on my cruise?

I know this is totally personal, I guess I am just looking for an idea - and also a plan in mind to keep it to a minimum.

I am on WW, lifetime member - am actually at my lowest recorded weight in many many years, and I am working out 3-4 days a week with building muscle tone (growing some guns on these arms :D ) In other words, I am feeling pretty good right now, which is a nice feeling.

I am planning to exercise every day on the cruise, either in the gym or on the jogging track and with a couple of active excursions (and a couple of not so active ones too). I have read to take the stairs everywhere, which will work until I have my formal heels on, of course. I am going to try to watch my portions but I want to relax a little and not be obsessed over every little thing.

The other thing is that now that I am used to eating pretty healthy - almost no refined flour, very small amount of "junk" food and even that is usually low fat versions (and I am a vegetarian, which is neother here nor there) I feel like CRAP when I eat too much or too rich or too junky. So not only do I want to not gain weight, but I want to feel GOOD while I am on my vacation.

Any other advice beside what I have mentioned (that I have gleaned from this board mainly!) ?

TIA!

PS - We are sailing Princess next week, if that helps at all.

Chandra

Congrates on keeping the weight off. IMO You have answered your own question. Exercise while on your cruise, walk, use the stairs. But also enjoy every bite and taste your food. I am a fast eater. It helps me to pace myself.

Sounds to me like you shouldn't gain at all with your plan unless you partake in the adult beverages or extra heavy desserts. But worse case scenario, I would give myself a few pounds of leeway. You'll be fine. Remember to drink lots of water too.

Enjoy your cruise!

Lynn

I think you'll do pretty good - only potential problem I can see is that most of the vegetarian offerings tend to be pretty "heavy" (e.g., cheese sauces, pastas, etc.). I try to stick with plain broiled fish as much as possible so I can indulge in dessert (my personal downfall). However, I've found the sugar-free desserts to be quite good - not that I stick with them exclusively. I don't work out all that much (but do try to take the stairs) and have gained anywhere from zilch to 5 lbs. BUT, I do find that those pounds are gone within a week of coming home and returning to normal eating. Maybe because they haven't had a chance to "take hold"???

Oh, and if you want extra steamed veggies at dinner, just ask and you will receive!

You have a good plan.

Hubby and I are taking longer cruises these days. My first 12 day cruise (Hawaii) I gained 10 lbs (oh my!).

Last year 12 day in Europe I only gained 3. This year is a 14 day plus a week in Italy before. Quite a challenge.

The difference was in Europe we walked everywhere. Actually we had planned to take public transit but then decided in many places that walking for a few hours was no big deal.

That really helped. We also went to the gym everyday. I have stopped eating the bread and butter at dinner and we don't eat dessert at lunch. Light breakfast.

Also I remind myself about what they say the size of one's stomach is, the size of a fist. At the buffet, take a little, you can always go back for more, almost always I don't go back for seconds.

Also I remind myself about what they say the size of one's stomach is, the size of a fist. .

WOW, I didn't know that...sure puts it in perspective !!! I'll be looking at my fist a lot when I sit down to a meal..

That's why everyone is overweight..because they do not judge everything they eat! That's why the diet industry makes millions why everyone else gets fatter. It's not entirely your genes, your parent's fault, the wrong diet, etc.

YOU are the only one that can push yourself away from the table or shut your mouth for an extra bite. Nobody else!

Honestly what your looking at right now, is losing weight while on the cruise. Dont worry too hard, you can have breaks... but im being a total hypocrite because i judge everything i eat and so on...

I LOVE THAT QUESTION!! I once gained 12 pounds on a 7 day cruise, and I was only about 120 pounds to start, so that was a significant amount of my body weight. At the time, I was unable to say no to food, and there was just SO MUCH of it to go around! :D

ANother cruise, I'd dieted to fit into a slinky burgundy colored jeweled gown. Well, I got into it for formal night, and THAT NIGHT, everyone at my table noticed that I had changed my eating habits. I was off and running again and, after the three remaining days, I'd need a shoehorn to get back into that gown.

I'm hoping that I've learned new ways of enjoying myself. My new mantra is:EATING IS NOT AN EXTREME SPORT

Carry on!

I'm hoping that I've learned new ways of enjoying myself. My new mantra is:EATING IS NOT AN EXTREME SPORTCarry on!

LOL oh Sandy, I want a T shirt with that written on it...I love it !

Archived