Car rental Seward to Anchorage

LMKakaThing2

Are you able to rent a car in Seward and return it in Anchorage? It will allow me to rent a car if I return it to Seward, but will not allow me to rent a car if I return it to Anchorage. Think I could say I'm returning it to Seward and then when I pick up, tell them I'm actually returning it in Anchorage?

My flight home doesn't leave until 11:55pm the day after the cruise. Was thinking of renting a car and taking my time to Anchorage.

I'm fine with the substantial cost of a one way rental. Would rather go for a nice long scenic drive and do what I want to do rather than taking the train at 6pm and finding an excursion we might like until then. After realizing that it would most likely be getting dark while on board the train, felt the price of a car would be worth it since we'd get to see the beautiful landscapes.

I agree ! There are many interesting stopping points between Seward and Anchorage, starting with Exit Glacier.

Some are noted in the links below.... Potters Marsh, Alyeska tram on a clear day, Portage Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

I'm pretty sure the Seward office is open year round so you should be able to make the reservation on-line. However, call them to check the price ..... sometimes you get a better deal when you deal with the office.

I'm fine with the substantial cost of a one way rental. Would rather go for a nice long scenic drive and do what I want to do rather than taking the train at 6pm and finding an excursion we might like until then. After realizing that it would most likely be getting dark while on board the train, felt the price of a car would be worth it since we'd get to see the beautiful landscapes.

It is a very scenic drive and we prefer driving as well. Just an fyi, the sun doesn't set until about 9pm on the day you'll be driving to Anchorage. Even then, it takes quite a while before it gets dark as the sun just hangs below the horizon.

Edited by Glaciers

• 3 years later...
I am looking for updated info. From what I can tell, Hertz is the only option for a rental car. The fee to drop off at the Anchorage Airport is Crazy ($400).

Any updated info?

Hertz is still the only rental agency in Seward. And the one-way drop off fee is not cheap. You probably would've found better pricing back in October or November...

It depends what size car you are looking for. I am looking at prices on Travelocity for July between $386 and $515. Hertz may have better deals. Check prices for drop off in town and at the airport. We found the airport to be about $50 less.

I have an intermediate SUV booked for $375 and check often to see if I can find any better deals. I am guessing that at this point, it is not going to go down!