MSC Melody - Black Sea

cutecat

Has anybody sailed on MSC Melody before - I really like the MSC culture and want to do the Black Sea Itinerary next summer - but I am wondering if the standard of Melody is as good as some of MSC's newer ships ?

Some of you have sailed many MSC liners before - what would you say about Melody - is there a compromise on standard of public areas ? cabins? etc etc ?

is the Black sea itinerary something you'd recommend ?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Hi Cutecat

I did that itinerary on the Melody in July. On the whole I enjoyed the cruise. Some things were better - the service and food in my opinion. Hotel manager explained to me that the crew are happier on a smaller ship as it is not just more friendly for the passengers but also the crew as well, so they tend to work better together as a team. Another plus was that you could always get a lounger on the sun deck no matter what time of the day you arrived.

However I didn't really like the older smaller ship , mainly because

1. No Spa

2. No theatre - shows were held in the show lounge so no tiering and also very difficult to get a seat if you were on second sitting as the people from first sitting were still in the lounge and talking (because they's already seen it). I love the shows in the evening and it is usually part of my after dinner routine bt this was a huge dissappointment

3. no fridge in the cabin

I knew before I went that there were not as many facilities and no cabins had balconies (which I prefer) but I did not know about those 3 things.

If you do decide to give it a try, avoid cabins towards the rear of the ship or ones with pull down bunks in the wall - mine vibrated something awful and I rarely got an undisturbed night's sleep.

A lot of the "product" is similar to what you will have encountered on the Armonia but it is just a much smaller and much older ship that has character but not the elegant beauty of the newer ships.

I did not quire get around to finishing off the review I started on this board back in July. I'll try and get around to doing the last bit over the next week and then get it published on the reviews section. In the meantime if you use the search faclity on this forum for the melody, you will no doubt find the thread I started.

Hi Cutecat

I did that itinerary on the Melody in July. On the whole I enjoyed the cruise. Some things were better - the service and food in my opinion. Hotel manager explained to me that the crew are happier on a smaller ship as it is not just more friendly for the passengers but also the crew as well, so they tend to work better together as a team. Another plus was that you could always get a lounger on the sun deck no matter what time of the day you arrived.

However I didn't really like the older smaller ship , mainly because

1. No Spa

2. No theatre - shows were held in the show lounge so no tiering and also very difficult to get a seat if you were on second sitting as the people from first sitting were still in the lounge and talking (because they's already seen it). I love the shows in the evening and it is usually part of my after dinner routine bt this was a huge dissappointment

3. no fridge in the cabin

I knew before I went that there were not as many facilities and no cabins had balconies (which I prefer) but I did not know about those 3 things.

If you do decide to give it a try, avoid cabins towards the rear of the ship or ones with pull down bunks in the wall - mine vibrated something awful and I rarely got an undisturbed night's sleep.

A lot of the "product" is similar to what you will have encountered on the Armonia but it is just a much smaller and much older ship that has character but not the elegant beauty of the newer ships.

I did not quire get around to finishing off the review I started on this board back in July. I'll try and get around to doing the last bit over the next week and then get it published on the reviews section. In the meantime if you use the search faclity on this forum for the melody, you will no doubt find the thread I started.

Thanks Amomondo - I was hoping you'd reply cos you've done so mnay MSC cruises. Your response is just as I had thought. I really do like the idea of another MSC cruise, but I dont want to keep thinking ' It's not as nice as my last one' which I fear on this ship as its the oldest.

Certainly there are some plus points. Was the black sea region worth the compromise on the ship's drawbacks?

Are you aware of any other reasonably priced lines that do the Black Sea?

Will keep a lookout for your other Melody Thread. Many Thanks !

It was also nice that it was 11 nights. Although I originally booked for the length and itinerary by the time I actually got onboard I was more interested in relaxing than sight seeing as I'd been working 70 hours weeks leading up to it. We were late in to port quite a lot and port time did seem a bit short. The sail up the Bosphorous was wonderful with Asian istanbul on one side and the European on the other. It took quite a while to make it up the strait and in to the Black Sea itself. fantatsic scenery all the way.

I've had a quick squizz on an internet TA site and perhaps a better option for you would be the Opera. It is doing an eleven night black sea cruise both this year and next. the Opera is very similar to the Armonia that you enjoyed just newer and probably a bit more glamorous.

Other lines that could be a similar proce is Costa - the Allegra has a Black sea cruise too. Others include princess, P&O and HAL which will be more expensive and Crystal that will be a lot more expensive.

Hi Cutecat

We cruised the Black Sea on Opera last year, what a magnificent experience. We loved the ship having just disembarked from Musica which was so much larger, not that we had any complaints about that but we kept getting lost!!.

The cruise into the Black Sea is so picturesque and the ports so varied. Having been to Athens & Olympia on Musica and then again on Opera we loved the contrast of Odessa with it's clean freshly painted buildings and Yalta with it's old building still standing proud and likewise in Istanbul. We really loved every port and I would find it hard to say which was our favourite, as most people asked me on return, as they were so different.

I cannot comment on Melody as I have not cruised on it but I would be guided by AmoMondo as she is very honest in her comments and so familiar with all the ships.

Enjoy and please feel free to ask if you need further help.

Cheers, Misty

It was also nice that it was 11 nights. Although I originally booked for the length and itinerary by the time I actually got onboard I was more interested in relaxing than sight seeing as I'd been working 70 hours weeks leading up to it. We were late in to port quite a lot and port time did seem a bit short. The sail up the Bosphorous was wonderful with Asian istanbul on one side and the European on the other. It took quite a while to make it up the strait and in to the Black Sea itself. fantatsic scenery all the way.

I've had a quick squizz on an internet TA site and perhaps a better option for you would be the Opera. It is doing an eleven night black sea cruise both this year and next. the Opera is very similar to the Armonia that you enjoyed just newer and probably a bit more glamorous.

Other lines that could be a similar proce is Costa - the Allegra has a Black sea cruise too. Others include princess, P&O and HAL which will be more expensive and Crystal that will be a lot more expensive.

Hi Cutecat

We cruised the Black Sea on Opera last year, what a magnificent experience. We loved the ship having just disembarked from Musica which was so much larger, not that we had any complaints about that but we kept getting lost!!.

The cruise into the Black Sea is so picturesque and the ports so varied. Having been to Athens & Olympia on Musica and then again on Opera we loved the contrast of Odessa with it's clean freshly painted buildings and Yalta with it's old building still standing proud and likewise in Istanbul. We really loved every port and I would find it hard to say which was our favourite, as most people asked me on return, as they were so different.

I cannot comment on Melody as I have not cruised on it but I would be guided by AmoMondo as she is very honest in her comments and so familiar with all the ships.

Enjoy and please feel free to ask if you need further help.

Cheers, Misty

Dear Amomondo and Misty1937,

Your feedback is so valuable, really grateful. Indeed I just took a look at the Opera Black Sea itinerary - seems really decent and I'm sure as you say Amomondo the Opera will be more like Armonia.

My only concern is will the weather be ok around 27th Sept ? I notice that that's the first sailing Opera will do on that itinerary. Will it still be warm enough ? I'm not really the type who can spend hours sunbathing, but clear skies and sunshine is a must. It doesnt have to be baking hot.

I'll do a few searches on average temps end of Sept , and I'll also check out the Costa Allegra Cruise.

Thanks Again !

Cutecat - we were on the same Black Sea cruise on Opera as Misty and that left on 4 October last year.

On the whole the weather was glorious - and not overly hot. But on the return leg - from Odessa back to Venice the weather got colder and colder as that part of Europe was hit by a freak cold spell. Sailing into Venice with snow on the Alps in the background was a sight to behold.

Incidently - we are on Melody in late 2011 as the dates and itinerary suit us and were a tad apprehensive with her being an older lady. But at the deal I got I really cannot complain!

Cutecat - we were on the same Black Sea cruise on Opera as Misty and that left on 4 October last year.

On the whole the weather was glorious - and not overly hot. But on the return leg - from Odessa back to Venice the weather got colder and colder as that part of Europe was hit by a freak cold spell. Sailing into Venice with snow on the Alps in the background was a sight to behold.

Incidently - we are on Melody in late 2011 as the dates and itinerary suit us and were a tad apprehensive with her being an older lady. But at the deal I got I really cannot complain!

Thanks Gelbel - that's encouraging to know. Yes I dont mind it being a little cold as long as I know to take the right clothing. I'd hate to not be able to go out on deck to see the fab scenery cos too cold ! I guess if MSC are running the cruise at that time they must have thought about the weather.

Did you really get a good deal on Melody? what sites do you use to book ? who offers the best rates?

Did you really get a good deal on Melody? what sites do you use to book ? who offers the best rates?

As a former MSC cruiser I was sent the advance brochure for 2011. We have to be very specific about the dates for our cruise next year and with that getting an itinery to new places to visit was quite important.

So right at the back of the advance brochure was a little gem on Melody to the far end of the Eastern Med for November 2011.

When I got my MSC previous cruiser discount on top of my TA discounts and the early bookers discount that's when it became silly money. I think most TAs are offering the same price - it's just after a while if you stick with your TA they will pass on more of their savings to you.

Re the cost - put it this way even adding MSC flights and the 24 hr all inclusive drinks package it still came out less than the full brochure price.:cool:

As a former MSC cruiser I was sent the advance brochure for 2011. We have to be very specific about the dates for our cruise next year and with that getting an itinery to new places to visit was quite important.

So right at the back of the advance brochure was a little gem on Melody to the far end of the Eastern Med for November 2011.

When I got my MSC previous cruiser discount on top of my TA discounts and the early bookers discount that's when it became silly money. I think most TAs are offering the same price - it's just after a while if you stick with your TA they will pass on more of their savings to you.

Re the cost - put it this way even adding MSC flights and the 24 hr all inclusive drinks package it still came out less than the full brochure price.:cool:

Wow thats a really good deal - I should be eligible for some MSC discount now too - I'll see if my TA can get me a good deal too...

Wow thats a really good deal - I should be eligible for some MSC discount now too - I'll see if my TA can get me a good deal too...

If you haven't already joined the MSC club (their loyalty Programme) may be worth doing so now before you book again. Although the discounts and perks are not that great at the first level, they improve every time you move up a category. You get points for every night you spend onboard, so you'd qualify for Classic membership at the moment.

here's the link to the page on MSC UK that lists the benefits

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/mscclub/vantaggi.asp

If you haven't already joined the MSC club (their loyalty Programme) may be worth doing so now before you book again. Although the discounts and perks are not that great at the first level, they improve every time you move up a category. You get points for every night you spend onboard, so you'd qualify for Classic membership at the moment.

here's the link to the page on MSC UK that lists the benefits

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/mscclub/vantaggi.asp

Thanks Amomondo - I did in fact register for this as soon as I got back , and also on the cruise they told me that they would now automatically do it - though I've not recd any confirmation at all - reckon i should email them to ask ?

What would they normally send me in terms of confirming I'm now a member?

;-)

Thanks Amomondo - I did in fact register for this as soon as I got back , and also on the cruise they told me that they would now automatically do it - though I've not recd any confirmation at all - reckon i should email them to ask ?

What would they normally send me in terms of confirming I'm now a member?

;-)

They should send you a plastic card (same size as a credit Card) with your name and membership number of it. It will also state your membership category (Classic, Sikver Gold etc) just like the airline frequent flyer schemes.

They are very slow in issuing them initially but usually send the renewal card out on time each year.

They should send you a plastic card (same size as a credit Card) with your name and membership number of it. It will also state your membership category (Classic, Sikver Gold etc) just like the airline frequent flyer schemes.

They are very slow in issuing them initially but usually send the renewal card out on time each year.

Ok thanks ! I emailed them yesterday too - will wait for it to arrive, wont be cruising till next Spring / Summer now so have plenty of time - though have booked for a Nile River cruise this Dec. Have you ever been ?

Ok thanks ! I emailed them yesterday too - will wait for it to arrive, wont be cruising till next Spring / Summer now so have plenty of time - though have booked for a Nile River cruise this Dec. Have you ever been ?

No but my best friend and her hubbie went on one back in April. She is terrified of boats but felt she'd be ok on the Nile. She had an absolutely brilliant time. So much so that she's now decided to put her fears behind her and has booked a Caribbean cruise now with P&O.

the only problem I've found with cruising is how addictive it is!

No but my best friend and her hubbie went on one back in April. She is terrified of boats but felt she'd be ok on the Nile. She had an absolutely brilliant time. So much so that she's now decided to put her fears behind her and has booked a Caribbean cruise now with P&O.

the only problem I've found with cruising is how addictive it is!

LOL Amomondo - I've only been on one but I'm hooked already - why did I ever do a normal holiday?? Though to be fair, cruises have only really become affordable to normal people over the last few years , and information was not so readily available before. Usually was just the ' top shelf' of the travel agents shelves...

I am booking on the Melody for the Black Sea Cruise on the 25th of March 2011. I booked it for the sole reason that I wanted to see Istanbul and it stops in Istanbul on my birthday.

I hope I have made the correct decision. But at least thanks to CC I am forewarned.

And the next part of the trip is on the Fantasia so at least the last 11 days might improve :rolleyes:. Of course then I go to Venice :D.

AmoMondo I have been waiting for you to finish you review. I know that you did not do many of the shore excursions but I was wondering if you could please include some information about Yalta and Odessa and Messina. These are the ports that I am most confused with as to what to do as there is not much information on CC.

Also if anyone knows, I am Australian and am wondering if I will need a VISA for Yalta and Odessa if I want to DIY these ports.

Thanks again for all the information that everyone provides. I hope to reciprocate once I have done my first two cruises.

I am getting more and more scared

I hope I have made the correct decision. But at least thanks to CC I am forewarned.

It is a question of what you like.

I will offer some encouragement for you and others thinking about cruising with the Melody:

I know a number of people here in Germany who prefer the Melody over the newer, bigger MSC ships. They prefer the character of a "real ship" over the "Las Vegas" glitz. The enjoy the community of a smaller group on a smaller ship - with its advantages both on board and when going ashore. They do not need a balcony when the have gracious sun decks. Like AmoMondo they are happy to receive better food and service.

Doesn't sound bad to me.

I am booking on the Melody for the Black Sea Cruise on the 25th of March 2011. I booked it for the sole reason that I wanted to see Istanbul and it stops in Istanbul on my birthday.

And the next part of the trip is on the Fantasia so at least the last 11 days might improve :rolleyes:. Of course then I go to Venice :D.

AmoMondo I have been waiting for you to finish you review. I know that you did not do many of the shore excursions but I was wondering if you could please include some information about Yalta and Odessa and Messina. These are the ports that I am most confused with as to what to do as there is not much information on CC.

Also if anyone knows, I am Australian and am wondering if I will need a VISA for Yalta and Odessa if I want to DIY these ports.

Thanks again for all the information that everyone provides. I hope to reciprocate once I have done my first two cruises.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with those ports as I stayed onboard . Almost everyone at my table bar one did DIY and seemed to have agreat time. No idea about the Visa situation for Australains as everyone at my table was Britsih and we didn't need visas. I keep meaning to finish my review but work keeps getting in the way!

I know that you did not do many of the shore excursions but I was wondering if you could please include some information about Yalta and Odessa and Messina. These are the ports that I am most confused with as to what to do as there is not much information on CC.

hi donnasperls, you can find a lot of info about Odessa on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1261914&highlight=odessa

and photos here:

http://odessainterpreters.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10001

and a sample itinerary for a walking tour here:

http://odessainterpreters.com/walking.pdf

donnasperls, a cruiser in Ukraine does not need a visa if he/she

leaves her ship for less than 48 hours, and compulsory sleeps on

board of the said ship. Cruisers are even allowed tours to outside

of their ports of calls, if they can make it in one day and return to

sleep on the ship.

Hi Donnasperls

Sorry I have not replied sooner but hope this might help. We did not need visa's in either Yalta or Odessa but we did have private tours which were wonderful. I tried to get information regarding visas before we left and it was most confusing. The Ukraine embassy site was impossible to fathom and an email direct to them only referred me back to the embassy site. My TA eventually said less than a week before we left home that we did need them throwing me into an absolute panic. I emailed our tour guide and he said not to worry as we did not need one. This was last October though so I cannot say with any accuracy that it has not changed. If you like I can give you the name of our guide in Yalta and he would be able to tell you and also give you a price if you are interested in a tour. Yalta in particular involves quite some distance to the various palaces and places of interest and I am sure there is no way we could have done it on our own particularly with the language barrier. Odessa is easy enough to do on your own but again there are some places too far to walk to and it was nice to learn some of the history and know what the buildings we were looking at were. The contrast between Odessa and places like Athens & Istanbul was amazing.

I hope this is of some help, Misty

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I have done this right have not posted yet, I am going on the Melody on the 1st Dec 2010 to South Africa and this will be my first time either cruising or going abroad. I decided when I was 60 I would get a passport. I booked this as there was no single supplement and from what i have been reading on the reviews the smaller ship will be ideal. My main fear is that I am disabled and need the aid of a motobility scooter. I have checked with the company but they say they see no problems can anyone who has sailed on the Melody have any views. thank you

nanof8

I hope I have done this right have not posted yet, I am going on the Melody on the 1st Dec 2010 to South Africa and this will be my first time either cruising or going abroad. I decided when I was 60 I would get a passport. I booked this as there was no single supplement and from what i have been reading on the reviews the smaller ship will be ideal. My main fear is that I am disabled and need the aid of a motobility scooter. I have checked with the company but they say they see no problems can anyone who has sailed on the Melody have any views. thank you

nanof8

Hi nanof8

I have sailed on the Melody in July and there was a passenger that had a mobolity scooter with him. I'm also disabled (visually) so disembarked at the same time as he did and was also on the same London flight back. I'm not sure what he had to do regarding the aitlines in advance but there is a section on these threads for Disabled passengers and I'm sure someone there will be able to help you. He was able to use it around the ship and on the flight home he got to drive it right up too the gate. He was then assisted on to the plane. The battery had to be disconnected and they then put the scotter in to the hold. At the other end he was met by the passenger assistance people who took him through to the baggae hall where he was able to get his scooter back.

I've also done the trip down to South Africa on my own with MSC (not on the melody). I'd say around 300-400 of the 1700 passengers were English speaking - a lot of South Africans, quite a few Brits, and a few Americans, Canadians and some Australians. There were alos a lot of single people (the no supplement!). They will seat you at dinner with other English speaking passengers. I was at a table of 8, all of us British, one couple and the rest solo passengers. I had a great time and managed to amke a few friends on the trip. You just need to be prepared that things are not the same way as they are at home and you'll be fine. Just wee things that you have to adjust to - like if you ask for tea or coffee, you also have to ask for them to bring you milk or they will serve it black. Food is Italian but there are plenty courses to choose from. The library on the Melody is unusual for MSC in that it has a good supply of English books - so you don't need to weigh your luggage down taking paperbacks with you unless you want to. Also don't take any towels either. They supply them at the pool area out the back of the sun deck.

Hope you have a great time. It certainly is an interesting journey.

Archived