MSC Orchestra Port - dinner after your seating

vimtmp

Hello,

I am going on MSC Orchestra in March (first cruise). In Philipsburg, St. Maarten ship will be docked between 1pm and 8pm.I have assigned first seating for dinner (5:15) and I am traveling with kids.

What if I'll be just a big late for dinner? Can I come around 5:45 and still get dinner? Are there other free options for dinner if you are late for your seating?

From reading newbie forums I understood that if I am late for dinner, I have to let other people at the table know so they would not wait for me. Is that right?

What are the chances that my family of 4 will be sitting at separate table? Do they have small tables? I understood that other guest really dont like to sit at the table with kids :-).

Thanks!

Hello,

I am going on MSC Orchestra in March (first cruise). In Philipsburg, St. Maarten ship will be docked between 1pm and 8pm.I have assigned first seating for dinner (5:15) and I am traveling with kids.

What if I'll be just a big late for dinner? Can I come around 5:45 and still get dinner? Are there other free options for dinner if you are late for your seating?

From reading newbie forums I understood that if I am late for dinner, I have to let other people at the table know so they would not wait for me. Is that right?

What are the chances that my family of 4 will be sitting at separate table? Do they have small tables? I understood that other guest really dont like to sit at the table with kids :-).

Thanks!

I have asked for a table for my family of 3 also. I hope this works. We like to met others on the cruise and use this web-site to do that. I do not like sharing meals with others. So far on Disney, Carnival and Costa we have been accommodated and had a table just for us. On NCL although not fixed seating we were always able to sit alone.

Once on Carnival at lunch, in the dining room we were seated with a group. One gentleman spent the entire meal telling the other couple at the table how he had left his 3 children at home and that people should not bring their children on cruises. It was a waste of money and energy and that kids who cruised were all spoiled. My two kids sat politely at the table with us listening to this conversation. I tried not to let my blood boil and have vowed to sit alone ever since.

I hope someone can answer your question (and mine).

Monicajay,

I agree with you. If I don't know the other people I don't want to get stuck during a meal. On our last few cruises (not MSC) we sat as a family. Did you request this to your travel agent or did you phone the line?

On my reservation e-mail that travel agent send me says:

Dining: First Seating -

Table Size: Small Table (2-4)

But my understanding is - it is not guaranteed. On some reviews (different cruise lines) I read that most of the tables were bigger. I am not sure about MSC.

Looking at the pictures of the dinning rooms this ship has plenty of small tables. Just request it from your TA. It's not guaranteed, but works most of the time. On the days when ship is at the port past dinner time, the dinning room is half empty. You shouldn't have any problems by arriving only 30 min. late, but make sure your waiter knows about it the previous day.

We have been on many cruises on just about every line there is. We always request a large table & have met many wonderful people.

I disagree that being 30 minutes late might not be a problem. Several cruises we have been on close the doors after 15 minutes & nobody else gets in. Remember they are serving a lot of people and like to get the different courses done at the same time & then get you out for the next group. If you have late dining they still want you out by a certain time to end their long day.

I would defininetly check ahead of time if you will be let in or not.

We have been on many cruises on just about every line there is. We always request a large table & have met many wonderful people.

I disagree that being 30 minutes late might not be a problem. Several cruises we have been on close the doors after 15 minutes & nobody else gets in. Remember they are serving a lot of people and like to get the different courses done at the same time & then get you out for the next group. If you have late dining they still want you out by a certain time to end their long day.

I would defininetly check ahead of time if you will be let in or not.

This can be true as well! What I think I'm going to do then is contact my TA and tell her either we'd like a table for three OR we want a very large table that has some kids there too. What would be awkward is to be a family of three (one mom, one teen, one preteen seated with a childless couple or set of two couples!)

MSC do close dining room doors 10-15 minutes after the published time. It is tight enough for them having all the first seating diners out and the dining room back in order for the next sitting, I'd dread how long they'd be kept waiting if the first seating could turn up very late.

As for tables, you can ask for 2,4,6, or 8 and specify 1st or 2nd however as someone has already said - this is not guaranteed. they do their best to accomodate people's preferences but often it just isn't possible. In the caribbean the popular seating is first. If they have more people than they are able to seat wanting first, then some are going to be disappointed. If however you want second, you are almost sur to get what you want. if you do get initially assigned something other than what you wanted, it is worth having a word with the Maitre D' - he sometimes can swap things around for you.

In your daily news on the back page they post Todays Dining Times and has the published times the restaurants will be open. For instance.....

On our day to Cayo....

Breakfast

Villa Borghese Restaurant 7am-9am

Buffet-self service 6:30am-10am

Lunch

open seating Villa Borghese 12-1:30pm

Buffet-self service 12-3 pm

Tea with Cookie and Snacks

Cafeteria La Piazzetta 3:30-4:15pm

Gala Dinner

1st seating 5:15pm

2nd seating 7:45pm

To offer you the finest service, please respect the above times. Restaurant doors close 10 min after opening.

Casual Dinner

Cafeteria La Piazzetta- Portside 6:30p -8pm

Magnific Buffet

pool deck 13 12am

Restaurants for an unforgettable Experience

La Cantinella Wine Bar 5pm-1am

Pizzeria 7:30-10:30pm

Only on Reservation call 99

Shanghai Chinese Restaurant 12-2:30pm

6-10pm

Restaurant 4 Seasons 6-9pm

In the self service- usually the lines are shorter on the left side of the boat. Make sure you walk around because not all places are serving the same food. Sometimes one section is shut down but if you walk all the way around you may find another section is open. We had that happen and thought there was not food available when it was just on the other side.

Restaurants for an unforgettable Experience

La Cantinella Wine Bar 5pm-1am

Pizzeria 7:30-10:30pm

Only on Reservation call 99

Shanghai Chinese Restaurant 12-2:30pm

6-10pm

Restaurant 4 Seasons 6-9pm

Is it true that the Pizza is free....or is there a charge for that? What is the charge for the Reservation Restaurant? Thanks for the info...:)

Archived