Freedom, Southern Caribbean Departing From Puerto Rico 5/12/18

Freedom, Southern Caribbean Departing From Puerto Rico 5/12/18

If you’re like me, you’re more interested in the negative than the positive. So here goes…

MAXIMIZING PROFIT

This was my 5th cruise in the last 10 years and my 4th on Royal Caribbean. The fact that cruises are advertised as being “inclusive” was a major attraction to cruising. Since I started cruising on Royal Caribbean on the Oasis years ago however, it seems as though maximizing profit is being taken to the extreme. I’m certain every option, every amenity, ANYTHING and everything that could possibly cost money is targeted for cost control. This is the sense I get.

For example, they have moved premium food choices to the bottom of the dinner menu with an associated cost. From my understanding, this is something brand new, and passengers were mad about it. To make matters worse, the cost of the premium entree choices are full market price - with no discount whatsoever for the contribution you presumably made by choosing an “inclusive” cruise. On more than one night, I found myself not wanting anything on the “standard” entree menu - choosing to order entrees I didn’t like or eating triple appetizers.

Using my past experience as a gauge, I’m guessing more and more things on the ship will be excluded (from being included) in the future - which means if you are not paying attention and you order ice cream from the wrong place (Ben & Jerry's) or a hamburger (at Johnny Rockets), you will be surprised when you are asked to pay.

On the topic of ice cream and cost control... there is only one ice cream machine on the pool deck, and the line is often very long. The cynic in me is convinced this was a deliberate cost control decision to “meter” the amount of ice cream being dispensed. I know I personally didn’t want to stand in that line - so it worked as far as I was concerned. Also in their quest to find every penny where they can, the $77 soda package (per person) is obscene and absurd. And although I can afford it, I refused to pay for soda out of principle. Same on bottled water.

I’m guessing this all started with alcohol, and the threshold for which they charge for things has expanded ever since. Personally, I’m starting to be resentful.

While you’re at it, remember to check your bill for a “towel charge” as well as the “gratuities” which will likely be hundreds of dollars (again shifting the costs, in this case labor, to the passengers).

I get it. Operating such a huge ship with so many employees is expensive. But it is getting to the point where I am feeling slighted and want to consider other “inclusive” options that are really more “inclusive” (such as a resort).

THE BEDS

Without soliciting opinions from others, many people mentioned their beds were way too firm. Some passengers were outright mad about it. In my case, I could not sleep through the night without waking up because it was that uncomfortable.

LEAVING FROM PUERTO RICO

FYI, if you leave from Puerto Rico, there will be a large spanish population on the ship. Relative to the Oasis from Ft. Lauderdale, you will find much more spanish music around the ship. For example, you will find DJs speaking Spanish along with Spanish music on the pool deck, lounges, karaoke bar, dance club and various bars. If you’re looking for a band to play top 40 (essentially a wedding band) like you did at Dazzles on the Oasis class ships, you may be out of luck. If you like spanish music, DJs, and clubs, you will enjoy this cruise.

THE SHIP

Yes, it is showing its age. You will see it mainly in the carpets and your stateroom paneling and bathrooms. But I understand the Freedom of the Seas is scheduled for dry dock upgrades in 2020.

GUEST SERVICES/CHARGES

While we spent an hour in line to settle (pay) some charges the night before disembarking (we had a zero balance the night before), we were still stopped at the exit and told to proceed to guest services the next morning. This idiotic process brings the entire line to a halt (there’s only 2 to get off the ship). We learned that it is possible for a charge to be added overnight, so we learned that waiting in the long line to pay certain expenses the night before disembarking may not guarantee you will be let off the boat the next morning.

To make matters worse, they can add charges right up to the moment you present your Sea Pass at the security station & banks may not instantaneously issue a credit card approval (perhaps because the charge is not being made in the continental US?). This means THEY WILL HOLD YOU AGAINST YOUR WILL until it does (even for a small charge). Fortunately for us, we had a later flight, but could have missed our flight if we hadn’t.

So we again “zeroed out” our balance and RAN to get off the ship for fear another late charge would keep us from disembarking. Running away from the ship as fast as we could for fear of being held against our will was not exactly the last memory I wanted to have of our southern Caribbean cruise. It would help if they didn’t to add charges right up to the second you reach the security station.

PREPAID TRANSFER

When we arrived back in Puerto Rico, the departure from the terminal was a breeze. We found our luggage and sailed through Customs only to find Royal Caribbean’s transfer service was “in the weeds” (massively backed up). We waited in 3 lines total: One to drop our bags to an awaiting box truck, one to give our names, and then one for the shuttle bus. It was clear to us that it would take hours for the first/second wave of busses to return from the airport -- so with the line at a stop, we decided to take a taxi which was waiting 20 ft from the transfer line. We even had the added benefit of touring old San Juan since were able to immediately board the taxi bus with no wait. The quality of the mini-bus was much better and the price was very reasonable, so I was OK with losing money on the official Royal Caribbean transfer to the airport. The taxi driver was also much much nicer than the transfer company’s employees. I wouldn’t bother with Royal Caribbean’s official service in the future.

Given the negatives on this cruise, I’m not sure we will sail again anytime soon.

I find this very interesting because the moment I started reading, where you said "if you are like me, you are more interested in the negatives than the positives", I thought why on earth would ANYONE be more interested in the negative parts of things than the wonderful, fun, crazy, zany, exciting and delightful parts of cruising on these ships!!!

Good luck to you sir in all that you do.

Thanks for the information! We are cruising Freedom on June 2nd, and this will be my first time to cruise out of this port. I haven't sailed on Royal Caribbean in 20 years, but I too feel that RC is charging for every little thing possible. I hope the other lines don't follow suit. Our last 3 cruises were on Carnival Valor, Conquest, and Dream and honestly I was impressed. It is more of a party ship, but it didn't bother me. Some believe that Royal Caribbean is better than Carnival, I'm ready to find out.

We were on the same cruise 5/12 and 5/19 back to back. I agree that the whole ship was catered to Spanish speaking people. It was assumed you spoke Spanish no matter where you went. Everyone was speaking Spanish to us even in ports because the ship was from San Juan. We sailed Adventure same time of year for 3 years in a row but this time was the first time we experienced such a difference. Everyone in our group felt like were on the all Spanish ship. We enjoyed adventure out of San Juan for three years but after this cruise in Freedom I am afraid will be the last time at least for a very long time.