Day trip to Luebeck

When we dock in Warnemunde this August we are not going on to Berlin for the day. We are thinking of taking the train from Rostock to Luebeck. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this trip and if you have any tips. Also, should we try to squeeze in Schwerin or Wismar on the same day or would that be too rushed. We will have at least 10-11 hours on land that day. Thank you.

I have only done Lübeck to Wismar by train, but looking at the time tables, it would be difficult to do more stops besides Lübeck.

It takes 2½ hours from Warnemünde to Lübeck each way, so adding another stop on different rail lines will indeed be very rushed. Perhaps you could do both Schwerin and Wismar, but it would require some planing regarding timetables etc. The trains don't go that often.

I would just decide on one, and I would pick Lübeck or Schwerin over Wismar

We visited Lubeck from Kiel and it was a fantastic day, I think it would be too far from Rostock. We did Schwerin from Rostock, it was nice but probably not a highlight. I remember the train was not all that frequent so you need to be organised. We felt quite rushed. There is a few things to do in Rostock as well but Schwerin is definitely possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since there are 4 of us, would it be more efficient to rent a car for the day? Uber? any advantage to Wismar over Luebeck as a destination?

Renting a car would be a good idea. There are several rental outlets in Warnemünde. It might be cheaper too.

The motorway between Lübeck and Rostock passes by Wismar, so it would be easy to stop in Wismar on the way to Lübeck or back. Also, it is just 1h 30m between Warnemünde and Lübeck in car.

The townscape in Wismar is very nice, and the town houses there have been nicely refurbished during the last couple of decades.

Lübeck is more interesting though. The giant churches are very impressive, and it is an extrordinary feeling to stand in those great rooms thinking that Bach and Buxtehude have been playing their music in there.