Vietnam tour company

blue purple

Has anyone heard of Sao Bac Travel in Vietnam? This name was given to me by a contact in Vietnam. But now they want a 70% deposit for our tour in advance. Is this normal?

i don't know about that company, but i would NEVER pay in advance to any tour company.

i don't know about that company, but i would NEVER pay in advance to any tour company.

Payment in advance is getting more and more common in certain areas of Asia, particularly with cruise passengers who are here today and gone tomorrow. Tour operators have been burned by cruisers who decided at the last minute they would "rather join their new found friends" and dump on the tour guide they made arrangements with months ago. Has happened to a close friend of mine and others I know or know of. Plus the new port regulations require some tour operators to purchase port entry permits in advance. It would be stupid and a bad business decision on the part of the operator to pay for permits in the HOPE that their customers are there.

Additionally, Asian banks are getting much more picky about how and when credit cards are processed, so being asked to sign an authorization form and faxing front and backs of credit cards is now almost the norm. Banks worldwide are NOT trusting US bank/credit card companies as much as they used to.

I have recently been asked by a large, highly reputable airline (Etihad) for copies of front and back of credit card AND authorization form to purchase short haul airline tickets throughout Aisa and the Middle East. Companies worldwide simply do not trust the US banking system as they once did.

We normally don't either, and private tours have been in Europe and South America.

However, we have a group paying in advance for a private motor boat charter to take us along the Mekong. We will being paying a US rep in US funds about 30 days prior. The money is non-refundable at 30 days and people do need to include in their travel insurance although the risk is "only" approx $50.00.00pp. The tour operator has also agreed to a full refund should we not dock (getting it back may be another option). We decided this adventure is worth the risk.

We normally don't either, and private tours have been in Europe and South America.

However, we have a group paying in advance for a private motor boat charter to take us along the Mekong. We will being paying a US rep in US funds about 30 days prior. The money is non-refundable at 30 days and people do need to include in their travel insurance although the risk is "only" approx $50.00.00pp. The tour operator has also agreed to a full refund should we not dock (getting it back may be another option). We decided this adventure is worth the risk.

Should state "getting it (money) back could be another problem."

I used Handspan tour company in Hanoi for all my Vietnam arrangements a number of years ago. They only asked for a minimal deposit with payment in full only after my arrival.

They were prompt with their emails and have the reputation for both eco-sensitive tourism and the best English speaking guides. Check out their website for more information. "Handspan". http://www.handspan.com/ Plus they run a great traveller's cafe, The Tamarind, in Old Town, Hanoi.

I agree. I would never send money to a travel company, when you have no legal resources to reclaim it. Tourism has become a major industry in Vietnam. One can easily wait until they get there to custom a tour and make local, assured arrangements. Just get your hotel and use a competent front desk to help you with your additional travel needs after you get there.

Of course the problem for cruisers is that the ship will port at a given time more or less, and you want to hit the ground running.

So one has to get the ducks lined before the ship docks. Either you make your arrangements before hand and take a chance or take the ship's tour.

Use the experience of previous CCers as to what tour operators they had used and hope for the best.

We did 3 weeks in Viet Nam (loved it) and 10 days in Cambodia (wish we stayed longer there too) with Vido Tours (think it is vidotourtravel dot com). We did completey private tours and we all loved the service from this company (there were 3 of us). In Viet Nam, we started in Hanoi and travelled all the way to the Mekong delta and tons of places in between. We met Vido Tours through a travel operator who booked our trip and if I was to return on a cruise or go back on a land trip I would use them for sure. We paid the whole thing in advance...much like you do a cruise.

You could email them and just tell them what you want, history guide, shopping guide they will accommodate. Not sure if they will ask you to pre-pay but we had to do a lot of pre-paying. unfortunately, so many people stiff these guide and tour operators that they require the advance pymt or deposits. It scares me too but we have not had any bad experiences. good luck.

We did 3 weeks in Viet Nam (loved it) and 10 days in Cambodia (wish we stayed longer there too) with Vido Tours (think it is vidotourtravel dot com). We did completey private tours and we all loved the service from this company (there were 3 of us). In Viet Nam, we started in Hanoi and travelled all the way to the Mekong delta and tons of places in between. We met Vido Tours through a travel operator who booked our trip and if I was to return on a cruise or go back on a land trip I would use them for sure. We paid the whole thing in advance...much like you do a cruise.

You could email them and just tell them what you want, history guide, shopping guide they will accommodate. Not sure if they will ask you to pre-pay but we had to do a lot of pre-paying. unfortunately, so many people stiff these guide and tour operators that they require the advance pymt or deposits. It scares me too but we have not had any bad experiences. good luck.

Yes, but did you pay with wire transfer? What about travel insurance that would cover you if the guide was a no show?

I certainly would not expect a guide for over 4 weeks to just hope you showed up.

Where did you go on the Mekong Delta, and did you take a boat from HCMC or elsewhere?

Yes, but did you pay with wire transfer? What about travel insurance that would cover you if the guide was a no show?

I certainly would not expect a guide for over 4 weeks to just hope you showed up.

Where did you go on the Mekong Delta, and did you take a boat from HCMC or elsewhere?

our guide for tour to Hoian from Chan May (near Danang) was a no show and we had paid in full via western union. had a bad feeling when they wouldn't accept payment by ccard. our insurance repaid 100%

tour guide for Phnom Penh (from Sihanoukville) wanted no payment in advance and was there waiting for us.

it's all pot luck unless fellow cruisers here (and on other travel sites such as travelpod, tripadvisor etc) can make recommendations

good luck

pete

tour guide for Phnom Penh (from Sihanoukville) wanted no payment in advance and was there waiting for us.

good luck

pete

Pete, who did you use from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh? I think we are set for a taxi there (to the airport), but would feel better with someone already used/tested who showed up. We have some concerns about leaving luggage with an unknown driver while we go to the Palace for an hour or so (time permitting).

Any idea if the Palace has a baggage/coat check? I assume the Museum would if we went there instead, but than the driver will be wondering why we don't trust him (but of course he won't be required to sit in his car waiting for us).

Archived