Getting off of the ship?

hihello

Sorry if this question has already been asked. This will be my first time going there. When we get off of the ship, is there a beach right by? Free? Clean? and safe?

I've been to Grand Turk where the beach was literally right there. Is it like that?

Thanks!

You can scroll down and look for "Cruise Port" posts. You can also google and find port cams and pictures.

But, yes there is a small beach and a pool, but no access tot he water, as I recall, at the cruise port. Grand Turk it is NOT. The swimup bar is a Senor Frog's installation. Look for posts an the malecon and beach clubs like Tropicante. Only a short taxi ride away.

I really wouldn't call this a beach. They have a pool at the pool (a rather large pool too) and they have a man made beach setting around it. The "sand" is like a packed sand (not really sand you can sink your toes into...as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if it moves because it's hard).

IMG_5059-L.jpg

Then area by the water is pretty much the same way. Packed sand with some palapa chairs facing the ocean and the ship.

PC170162-L.jpg

PC170164-L.jpg

• 1 month later...
I really wouldn't call this a beach. They have a pool at the pool (a rather large pool too) and they have a man made beach setting around it. The "sand" is like a packed sand (not really sand you can sink your toes into...as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if it moves because it's hard).

IMG_5059-L.jpg

Then area by the water is pretty much the same way. Packed sand with some palapa chairs facing the ocean and the ship.

PC170162-L.jpg

PC170164-L.jpg

Is this place an excursion? Will be in Costa Maya in Jan and looking for something relaxing to do.

We usually take a bus to the little village (short 5 minute ride). Buses are located behind the shops area where the parking lot is located.

In Costa Maya we enjoy massages on the beach. -- Around 20 - 30 dollars. Perfect.

To return to the port we walk to the beginning of the little town and take a taxi - not expensive.

Swimming is not great here so if we want to go for a dip we do so in the pool(s) in the Port Area.

Enjoy.

Is this place an excursion? Will be in Costa Maya in Jan and looking for something relaxing to do.

Is it free to use this pool and chairs in port area? Or is in an excursion/all-inclusive type of thing?

Just looking to swim/relax for a bit. This is definitely not a 'beach' but it still looks beautiful.

This is the actual port in Costa Maya. It's free, it's the tourist area they made to try to keep cruisers in the compound area and spend all their money there instead of actually being "in" Costa Maya.

Yes free to use the pool and chairs and not an excursion.

Just be aware that I have heard plenty of times from cruisers that chose to stay here and EAT or DRINK...it's outrageous!! Like REALLY outrageous.

It's been written about many times but there is a really easy and cheap option to go to the beach in town for a few hours ..it doesn't take any planning you can walk off the pier through the cruise terminal shops, pool and bar..grab a taxi and 5 minutes later you are dropped off one block from the beach in Mahahual. The taxi is a few bucks per person each way. If you choose to eat drink swim at the beach there are soooooo many options, or you can go for a stroll, check out the shops and return to the ship.. A really easy, inexpensive and flexible option as long as you can walk a few hundred yards total - I recommend it for all...single travellers, family with stroller, etc.

The precise steps you take, prices you will pay (for taxis) as well as specific beach bar/restaurant recommendations are all available online if you prefer to know exactly what to expect.

Even if you want to treat costa maya as a relaxed, low key, cheap port....you can do this while seeing the unique, friendly, safe town of Mahahual.

Edited by kal72
Added stuff

This is the actual port in Costa Maya. It's free, it's the tourist area they made to try to keep cruisers in the compound area and spend all their money there instead of actually being "in" Costa Maya.

Yes free to use the pool and chairs and not an excursion.

Can you swim in the ocean here, and snorkel? Or is the wall too high?

Check out the Tropicana website below. Owner Steve is American and a very nice, personable guy. http://sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html.

Hi Wolfde53,

Thanks for the link. Have you gone to the Tropicana before? I am looking for a place where we can rent waverunners. I see on their site there are waverunners available to rent. Have you done this before? Can you tell me personally about the Tropicana. Any information yo can give would be really great.

Thanks

Hi Wolfde53,

Thanks for the link. Have you gone to the Tropicana before? I am looking for a place where we can rent waverunners. I see on their site there are waverunners available to rent. Have you done this before? Can you tell me personally about the Tropicana. Any information yo can give would be really great.

Thanks

Plan tone there next week if all goes well. Will to scope it out

Hi Wolfde53,

Thanks

I was at Tropicana 3 years ago and plan to go back again in a couple of weeks. They have a private portion of the beach with nice palms and you can just hang out all day. Waiters will take your food & drink orders (no pressure) while you relax. Email Steve ahead of time and he will hold beach loungers (no charge), handle other reservations and answer any questions you may have. At the time we were there, he seemed to genuinely take a personal interest in his guests and fulfilling their desires.

deb18...I am very interested in hearing about your visit to Tropicana.

Edited by wolfde53