Do you think we will need to notify bank of our trip?

sarze

I have heard mentions of letting your bank know when you go overseas or they might put a hold on your credit card thinking it is fraudulant use?

Just wondering how many people usually do this and if you think it is really necessary as I tried today (Commonwealth) and they said it was impossible for them to make note of it on my account in the branch, so i have to call the internet banking number to let them know :rolleyes:.

Problem is i can't remember my phone banking password because i have been using internet banking for years, last time i tried i answered a million questions to id myself then got the last one wrong (when were your last three transactions and how much were they :confused: ) so they wouldn't let me use the service. Anyway, so back to the point, do you think we will be right with Commonwealth and National or should we persue trying to let them know?

NOT LONG NOW!!! 6 EXAMS DOWN 2 TO GO THEN NO MORE UNI FOREVER!!!

I dont think its necessary to inform your bank. You should however, inform your credit card company, the telephone no. is normally on the card, that you will be using it during your holiday at ports of call. If the ship is registered any other place than Australia, eg American, then I would also inform the CC company of this as your final bill on the ship has also to be taken into account. This hasnt happened to me but it has happened twice to friends with us and I can assure you it caused a load of problems.

The problem seems to be that any unusual transactions made by you are automatically bounced by the CC Co's computer.

Have a great holiday, Jimmy

thanks Jimmy!

Excuse my ignorance but by credit card company do you mean Visa etc?

Cause mine is a commonwealth bank visa thats why i thought i had to let the bank know, but visa are probably more customer friendly :)

hi sarze,

We have never done this for a cruise, but were advised to do it for our upcoming trip to Thailand. Apparently there is a lot of fraud there especially Phuket.

One of mine is a Commonwealth card and there is a number on the back. As the previous poster said, call this and enquire as to the procedure.

We only used our credit card on the boat and cash for on shore, oh, except all the alcohol we bought back!! from Vila.

Cheryl

I have sometimes. I think that they are so used to seeing overseas transactions on mine that they don't worry.

You should be pretty safe.

ANZ rang me after I had transactions in Malaysia to check and also strongly suggested I cancel the card incase anyone had skimmed it etc.

[quote name=sarze :rolleyes:.

Problem is i can't remember my phone banking password because i have been using internet banking for years' date=' last time i tried i answered a million questions to id myself then got the last one wrong (when were your last three transactions and how much were they :confused: ) so they wouldn't let me use the service. Anyway, so back to the point, do you think we will be right with Commonwealth and National or should we persue trying to let them know?

[/quote]

Your online banking site should allow you to send them email thru the site.

Yes, you should advise them and the credit card companies that you will be traveling in Europe.

Hello again,

I agree with the post regarding never having had any trouble abroad with ones credit card. I never have either.Our friends we travel with however, on two seperate occaisions have been asked on two seperate occaisions to contact the pursers office as their cards have been rejected by the purser. On both these occaisions, the culprit was their bank. Maybe a bit over zealous on their part but, the problem was resolved eventually at great cost in phone calls from ship to shore. After the second trip, on reaching home, I phoned the CC company regarding their problem and was really impressed by the assistance given by them.

They suggested that no matter where I was travelling, if I was embarking upon unusual transactions, be it within the UK or otherwise, a lot of anguish and embarresment can be avoided by informing them beforehand. This rule I have stuck to and never had a problem. Another query I had was the 3% surcharge on foreign transactions. Not only did they confirm that this was applied but also informed me what banks and Building Society's in the UK did not apply the charge. I now hold and use that BS card when abroad.

So its worth phoning the number on the card if in doubt.

Good luck with your exams. I suppose you'll become a banker now.

Jimmy

Hello

Having worked on a cruise ship, it seemed only American passengers seemed to have problems. I think the credit card companies are used to Australian travelling more than Northern Americans. I have never had a problem using my credit card in numerous countries. If the bank put a hold on your card call them and they will release it. At least they are looking out for you to stop fraudulent charges

Seadog

We always call our bank (debit card) and our CC company and let them know we are out of country for what ever dates. We once had our card denied because they thought it was being used fraudulently. While I am all for good security when your out of country and you can't use your card it makes it really hard, luckly we had another to use. When we called the bank told us it would help to call before we leave so we always have and never had a problem again with it. Better safe than sorry.

Bev

Archived