Scenic Spirit Mekong trip

sugar333

We just returned Friday Jan 26, from a 13 day Scenic trip.This included 3 pre -cruise days in Saigon ,and 3 post-cruise in Siem Reap.

The ship was very new and beautiful.All of the cabins except 2 owner suites are identical. They are spacious with a separate bedroom and living area (pocket doors), large bathroom, walkin closet,floor to ceiling "wall of windows" ,sunroom,and mini fridge stocked to your alcoholic and soda/mixer preferences.

Hotels used in Saigon and Siem Reap were both Park Hyatts in great central locations. All land accomodation,restaurants,and tours were first rate.

Best of all were the Cambodian Spirit crew who were fantastic,as was the food. Both reminiscent of our Crystal(ocean) experiences.

What was truly exceptional was the unexpected excellence of the excursions. What sounded mundane became extremely interesting due to special touches. We didn't miss a one!

We are longtime ocean cruisers (Crystal,Regent) and had one prior Tauck European river cruise (which I disliked,hubby loved),and recent Tauck African land tour/safari(we both loved).

I was reluctant to try another river cruise, but am glad I did! I highly recommend Scenic for a special experience.

• 2 months later...
Hello Sugar333. We are also looking at this cruise with Scenic. Can you provide more information about the "excellent" excursions? It would help with out decision.

Thank you for posting this review. We have just booked a cruise from Siem Reap to Saigon in February 2019. I would also be curious about the excursions. From the write-up of the program it sounds like there are a couple of different excursions at practically every stop.

Thank you for posting this review. We have just booked a cruise from Siem Reap to Saigon in February 2019. I would also be curious about the excursions. From the write-up of the program it sounds like there are a couple of different excursions at practically every stop.

One of our favorite excursions involved a ride from the mooring pt on a unique vehicle that resembled a buggy used in harness racing except pulled by a bicycle. This mode of transportation took us to a small silk factory that made "black lacquer" silk. After viewing the quaint factory we walked to a field where th silk was vegetable died and spread out to dry. This sounds boring but in fact was both exciting and very interesting. The tours in Siem reap involved multiple visits to Angkor wat, plus visit to Angkor thom, plus my favorite the overgrown ruined temple used in "Tomb Raider". Great guides ! Final gala in Siem reap was outdoor four course gourmet dinner held outdoors at a backlit ruined temple with elaborate entertainment during dinner. Fabulous!

Sugar333, that sounds wonderful. I bet you have wonderful memories. We are very much looking forward to this trip but have to be patient since it is not until February 2019. In the other “ports”, could you choose between different excursions? I saw that on some of the other cruise lines, visits to schools are planned and people bring school supplies.. also on the scenic?