Dress Code

Cisleman

We will be in Asia for several months and are thinking about taking a 14 day cruise on the Seabourn Spirit out of Singapore. We travel light and taking along formal clothing is not something we want to do. Most of our travel is totally unstructured, so we don't want to be tied down to leaving clothing at a hotel in a city we might otherwise not return to.

How badly would we stand out if we ate in our room or at the cafe on the formal nights?

You may not "stand out" as you say, but you would be missing one of the

experiences unique to Seabourn. We love to dress up and enjoy the evening

events. There are hundreds of other cruise lines and experiences that are

casual. Seabourn is not. You will be welcomed, but although we very often

dine in the Verandah, we always dress--especially on formal nights. How

difficult would it be to throw in a few silk separates and a tuxedo--not difficult at all--and well worth the "effort". Champagne wishes and caviar

dreams!

You will miss out on extremely fun, delightful, unforgettable evenings! You don't have to pack "sequins and glitter".......for your wife, a black dress with pearls and for you a dark suit! But if you do decide to dine alone, the "in-suite" dinner is also a huge treat! The courses are served, one 'by one.......and the waiter brings a bottle of good wine........

Please think about attending at least one formal night. You won't be disappointed!

MB West Texas

You might consider Seabourn's "Personal Valet" luggage shipping service. You could actually set up to have a suitcase with your formal duds delivered to the ship and then shipped back afterward. The shipping is by DHL and it works great!

bgood

• 2 months later...
You will miss out on extremely fun, delightful, unforgettable evenings! You don't have to pack "sequins and glitter".......for your wife, a black dress with pearls and for you a dark suit! ...MB West Texas

Okay, normally, what percent in the main dining room on FORMAL night are wearing tuxes vs. dark suits? Inquiring minds want to know!

garycarla, as to formal evenings.......it depends on the voyage. I have noticed cruises in the Caribbean and Med. are less formal than other voyages. Perhaps it has to do with warmer climates and ports. On our Transatlantic Crossings, the dress (only in the evenings) is a bit more formal. Yes, a few of the men wear dark suits.

I realize there are Sailor's that do not enjoy dressing formally on their holiday! They can easily dine in their suites.......I hear it's a delightful meal....and some have dinner in their white terry bathrobes, watching a movie.....drinking fine wines! And yes, it's served, "course by course!" CARUMBA!

Or some like to dine up in the Veranda on formal nights......

There are NO "dress code Cops" on Seabourn! I happen to enjoy and always look forward to gettin' all "glitzly and gussied up" for dinner, as do most of the guests. But it's entirely up to "what feels comfortable to YOU."

I've seen some "mighty strange get-ups" on formal nights! And I'm NOT talkin' about "the fellow that wears his Tuxedo SHORTS!"

Have fun and "bueno suarte!"

Martita B.

Listen, formal nights are fun; mostly an excuse for some to get more wear out of their old charity ball outfits. (I am not knocking it, just stating a fact). However, if one's suitcase with the posh frocks and tuxedo never makes it to Singapore.... they certainly won't refuse you entry to the dining room. ;-)

Jane in PHL

Archived