Food on the Grandeur recent cruisers please reply

ETski

Cruising for the 1st time on the Grandeur in March. Have been reading some recent reviews of the ship. Sounds like people have been enjoying the entertainment on board. Many cruisers have been complaining about the food. I know everyone has their own opinions of food. Just wanted to hear some more feedback on this subject. We love cruising and cruise many lines. On some lines we find the MDR not so good. With that said we will do some specialty restaurants. Just wondering if we should plan on doing this on the Grandeur cruise. We do love the company of others in the Main dinning room and would rather dine there. We recently sailed Celebrity Summit for a B2B and not once did we do specialty dinning. Found the food to me just fine. We are not picky and do not expect fine dinning in a 5 star. Just decent food. Hey I am on a cruise I don't have to cook!!!

Cruising for the 1st time on the Grandeur in March. Have been reading some recent reviews of the ship. Sounds like people have been enjoying the entertainment on board. Many cruisers have been complaining about the food. I know everyone has their own opinions of food. Just wanted to hear some more feedback on this subject. We love cruising and cruise many lines. On some lines we find the MDR not so good. With that said we will do some specialty restaurants. Just wondering if we should plan on doing this on the Grandeur cruise. We do love the company of others in the Main dinning room and would rather dine there. We recently sailed Celebrity Summit for a B2B and not once did we do specialty dinning. Found the food to me just fine. We are not picky and do not expect fine dinning in a 5 star. Just decent food. Hey I am on a cruise I don't have to cook!!!

Lynn:

DW and I cruised the GOTS to the Eastern Caribbean last December and had a ball ... great cruise. The most important is that it was our fourth in two years and the food was really good!!!! As you, we did not dine in any specialty restaurant for the duration.

We are going back on April 28, 2015; when are you cruising?

Herb:confused::confused:

Thanks for everyone's quick response. We are cruising this March. I will wait till we test out the food in the MDR. We can always book a specialty while on board.

We sailed GOTS over Thanksgiving, and ate in all three specialty restaurants - we booked on board, and had no problems getting in. All three were fantastic, but my wife loves Izumi and my favorite of the three was Giovanni's.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I was on the Dec. 27 sailing of Grandeur. MDR food was good most nights. We did CHOPS and were really disappointed. I have eaten at Chops many times and also on Grandeur before but the service just wasn't that good this time. The best part of the MDR was our waiter Kumar and his asst. They were spot on everynight. Always brought an extra appetizer, meal and dessert for us to try. The best wait staff I have ever had.

Deb

We like the MDR for the companionship of the other diners as the two of us are by ourselves so we ask for a table of 8 to be sure to have company. Also like the MDR because it controls our calorie intake as compared to eating dinner in the Windjammer where it is easy to take too much. The portions in the MDR are enough for us- on our five cruises before we have not gained any weight using this system. We do the Windjammer several times though for nice omelets at breakfast, MDR at sea to have the great salad at lunch. We usually eat one meal at Chops for a change of pace.

Edited by bjohio

Travelled on Grandeur for New Years and the food in the MDR was good to very good every night and at lunch as well.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Thanks Bonnie looks like you are one of the most recent Grandeur cruiser to answer. I am hoping the people that had negative reviews on the food are just picky eaters. I am happy with good to very good food. Happy cruising to you.............

HI! I remember you guys from the Summit Roll Call. We were on the same B2B Summit cruise in October. Plus, we JUST got off the Grandeur on Jan.16, 2015. I think I can give you an honest opinion of the food on the Grandeur. Although the food on the Summit was a BIT better ( and only just a BIT), we found the food in the MDR in the Grandeur to be quite good. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Soon, I will have a video on youtube of this cruise. I will let you know when it will be on youtube and you will be able to judge for yourself...LOTS of food pics!

HI! I remember you guys from the Summit Roll Call. We were on the same B2B Summit cruise in October. Plus, we JUST got off the Grandeur on Jan.16, 2015. I think I can give you an honest opinion of the food on the Grandeur. Although the food on the Summit was a BIT better ( and only just a BIT), we found the food in the MDR in the Grandeur to be quite good. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Soon, I will have a video on youtube of this cruise. I will let you know when it will be on youtube and you will be able to judge for yourself...LOTS of food pics!

Good to hear we will not be disappointed. How did you like the ship? What itinerary did you do? We are doing Labadee, PR, St Thomas and St Martin. Some of the same ports as our Summit cruises. We really don't care we just enjoy cruising and being on board a ship. We have been to St Thomas several times and still haven't seen everything. Looking forward to Megan Bay this trip. Any information or tips would be appreciated.

Good to hear we will not be disappointed. How did you like the ship? What itinerary did you do? We are doing Labadee, PR, St Thomas and St Martin. Some of the same ports as our Summit cruises. We really don't care we just enjoy cruising and being on board a ship. We have been to St Thomas several times and still haven't seen everything. Looking forward to Megan Bay this trip. Any information or tips would be appreciated.

We booked this trip because of the price and had no expectations whatsoever, so we were pleasantly surprised by how much we REALLY REALLY liked this ship. It was a lot like the Summit before she was "Solticized." For and older ship, the Grandeur is showing remarkably little wear and tear. She is beautiful. The crew and service were exceptional. We are Diamond level on RCI ( because we are Elite on Celebrity) so we took full advantage of the Diamond lounge which was very nice. We did the 10 day Labadee, San Juan, St. Thomas, St Maarten itinerary. You may wish to rethink Megans Bay for St Thomas. Everyone we talked to that went there said it was VERY crowded. We went to Emerald Beach. $6 per person cab ride; beach chairs and palapa were $20; we got there around 9AM and had the beach to ourselves most of the day. It started getting crowded around 1 PM and we returned to the ship at 2PM. Youtube video should be ready today and you should be able to access it tomorrow. When I get it, I will put the link on this thread.

Edited by jimandtoni

We sailed on the Thanksgiving trip last November. Loved the food - my boyfriend and I still talk about how the turkey we had in the MDR on Thanksgiving was the best we have ever had (and my father usually makes a MEAN turkey!)

The only complaint I had was there was no real variety in the breakfast in the Windjammer. It was pretty much the same every morning (I didn't feel that way for lunch and dinner in there, however. Just breakfast) That probably could have been alleviated if we had woke early enough for breakfast in the MDR but we were never up before 9-10 on the cruise and therefore never presentable enough :) I bet that most smaller ships probably do not have a large selection of breakfast in the Windjammer. Regardless, the food was good and definitely started off my day right. Just no variety.

I did not do any speciality dining either (except for the sushi class!) but honestly, no other complaints. The food was amazing and never once did I regret my order. If you order steak, don't over cook it, as they don't marinate well enough, but even that tasted good when I had it more cooked than I should have.

Have a great cruise - GOTS is an amazing ship with an even better crew. If you drink at all, go to the main bartender, Kevin, in the Schooner bar. He is the best crew member on that ship!

We booked this trip because of the price and had no expectations whatsoever, so we were pleasantly surprised by how much we REALLY REALLY liked this ship. It was a lot like the Summit before she was "Solticized." For and older ship, the Grandeur is showing remarkably little wear and tear. She is beautiful. The crew and service were exceptional. We are Diamond level on RCI ( because we are Elite on Celebrity) so we took full advantage of the Diamond lounge which was very nice. We did the 10 day Labadee, San Juan, St. Thomas, St Maarten itinerary. You may wish to rethink Megans Bay for St Thomas. Everyone we talked to that went there said it was VERY crowded. We went to Emerald Beach. $6 per person cab ride; beach chairs and palapa were $20; we got there around 9AM and had the beach to ourselves most of the day. It started getting crowded around 1 PM and we returned to the ship at 2PM. Youtube video should be ready today and you should be able to access it tomorrow. When I get it, I will put the link on this thread.

Looking forward to your youtube. Your Summit one was great. We booked the Grandeur for a few reasons. We love the smaller ships, price was right and we live under 3 hours from Baltimore. We have cruised on a few mega ships and prefer the Summit size ships. Hope the cruise lines keep them around. They have charm and remind us of when we first started cruising 25 yrs ago. I do have a question regarding Emerald Beach. Is that the beach where the Best Western is? If so we have been there a few times and it is a favorite of ours. I need to check and see how many ships are in port. Then we might rethink our choice. Thanks for all the positive info on the Grandeur. Can't wait to board her in March.

We were just on the Grandeur for the New Years cruise as well. We found the food in the MDR to be totally inconsistent. This was our first cruise on RCI and compared to NCL and Carnival the food was definitely the worst. We did my time dining and were seated at different tables each night and found that the better waiters served better food. One night we had the worst service ever, they never brought my soup spoon and after trying to get someone's attention failed the waiter came to deliver my dinner and asked why I didn't like my soup. When I informed him that he forgot to give me a spoon he proceeded to take it away the soup and deliver our food. My daughter had ordered the sliders and when I looked at them I was in shock. The rolls were so hard that you could knock them on the table, the lettuce was so wilted it looked like paper and the tomato had baked into the bread. This plate of food had obviously been under the heating lights for hours.:eek: This was my 8th cruise in the last 3 years and for the first time ever we got up and left the dining room and went to the buffet. All that being said other nights we had excellent service and food. I do believe that the better servers actually take the time to pull the fresher food off the line and leave the older food for the servers who just don't care. It was just too much of a coincidence that the nights we had great service the food was better as well.

After 16 cruises on Royal, we go and think that we will try a specialty restaurant, but we end up eating in the MDR because we've never found it necessary. I had one dish that I wasn't thrilled with and didn't even mention it to the waiter. He came over and asked if I would like a different dish. It was the only night I had ignored our waiter's recommendation. We all had a good laugh together when I told him I was wrong and should have listened to him. Some mornings in the Windjammer I feel like having cereal. Another morning I'll have eggs or yogurt, fruit, oatmeal...depends on what I see that morning. They usually have the same thing or breakfast, but it's a variety and I might have something different every morning.

Looking forward to your youtube. Your Summit one was great. We booked the Grandeur for a few reasons. We love the smaller ships, price was right and we live under 3 hours from Baltimore. We have cruised on a few mega ships and prefer the Summit size ships. Hope the cruise lines keep them around. They have charm and remind us of when we first started cruising 25 yrs ago. I do have a question regarding Emerald Beach. Is that the beach where the Best Western is? If so we have been there a few times and it is a favorite of ours. I need to check and see how many ships are in port. Then we might rethink our choice. Thanks for all the positive info on the Grandeur. Can't wait to board her in March.

EMERALD BEACH is right next to the airport. Occasionally, you can see and hear planes landing and taking off. The water is calm and clear. A restaurant/bar and facilities are also on the premises. Another option for you might be Sapphire Beach.

Edited by jimandtoni

Thanks for letting me know that you posted the video. I already found it and it is amazing. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for doing a great video. Can't wait to board in March.

Here is the YOUTUBE video of our Grandeur trip. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VdbjIwdl4

[/size][/font]

Thanks for letting me know that you posted the video. I already found it and it is amazing. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for doing a great video. Can't wait to board in March.

You are quite welcome...we are still debating the repo B2B cruise on the Summit this year in October....

Awesome video! This is our first cruise in four weeks, on the Grandeur. Thank you so much for sharing...LOVED it!:D Lisa

How exciting....your first cruise!! Well, you picked a good one. The Grandeur is a beautiful ship. The floor to ceiling windows in most public areas were incredible. No matter where you went, you could see the ocean. I am sure you will have a great time.

Going to be on GOS for the first time, actually first time on RCI in October 2015. Can anybody point me to where I can maybe see the daily current menus, or even the daily activities. Interested to see about which nights are formal.