Flåm railway VS Oslo to Bergen train

We have to make a choice between the Flåm scenic railway (Bergen RT) or the Oslo to Bergen scenic train. Can anyone give opinions on which is the more scenic trip? Are they both equally beautiful and can’t go wrong with either choice?

Thank you!

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Difficult to answer you question

Oslo to Bergen is a 465 km and 7 hours ( 290 miles) train ride - while Flåm train is 20 km ( 12 miles) and 1 hour - The Flåm Railway has been named one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world and is one of the leading tourist attractions in Norway while Bergen railway is an 'ordinary railway'.

So just few question in order to give a better answer: what is the purpose of your trip, how much time do have available, and how do you plan get to Flåm if only Flåm Railway ?

Difficult to answer you question

Oslo to Bergen is a 465 km and 7 hours ( 290 miles) train ride - while Flåm train is 20 km ( 12 miles) and 1 hour - The Flåm Railway has been named one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world and is one of the leading tourist attractions in Norway while Bergen railway is an 'ordinary railway'.

So just few question in order to give a better answer: what is the purpose of your trip, how much time do have available, and how do you plan get to Flåm if only Flåm Railway ?

Thank you for your response. If we did the Oslo to Bergen railway we would fly into Oslo instead of Bergen. We are on a cruise that leaves Bergen so we need to get there eventually. So we can fly into Bergen and do a day trip to Flåm using Norway in a Nutshell or fly into Oslo with 1 day there and then take the train to Bergen. The latter would not include Flåm however. We are looking for a scenic journey. We’ve been told that the rail between Oslo to Bergen is beautiful but the Flåm railway is one of the most beautiful trips in Europe. We are getting conflicting info which prompted my post. Hoping to find people who’ve done both and can give an opinion. From what I’ve gleaned from your post it sounds like the Oslo to Bergen rail is just a train ride.

I did Oslo to Bergen in March when it was very snowy. It's a lovely ride. I've done the Flam railway only in spring and summer. That's a lovely ride too. The Oslo to Bergen seats are bigger and more comfortable, especially if you book fist class (Komfort class, I think they call it?) but the scenery on the Flam railway is much closer together, and mostly steeper.

You won't regret either. If it really is a once only, I'd probably go for Flam. If you go back, you can do the other one!

(Flam has the added attraction that it's the steepest non-funicular in the world.)

I did Oslo to Bergen in March when it was very snowy. It's a lovely ride. I've done the Flam railway only in spring and summer. That's a lovely ride too. The Oslo to Bergen seats are bigger and more comfortable, especially if you book fist class (Komfort class, I think they call it?) but the scenery on the Flam railway is much closer together, and mostly steeper.

You won't regret either. If it really is a once only, I'd probably go for Flam. If you go back, you can do the other one!

(Flam has the added attraction that it's the steepest non-funicular in the world.)

Thank you so much for responding. It’s a difficult choice! I’m sure both are great.

Not sure of your departure time or date but you can do both on what is Norway in a Nutshell. I have done it in the Bergen to Oslo direction but it is doable either way. Essentially you would take the NO railroad from Oslo to Myrdal, ride the Flam Railway from Myrdal to Flam, the ferry to Gudvangan. Then you bus from Gudvangen to Voss where you board the train to Bergen.

As I went the reverse direction I am not sure how the times might work for you but that is the route to work through Most people do it in a day but some elect to overnight in Flam

I’ve done the Norway in a Nutshell trip from Oslo to Bergen, and it’s hugely popular for a good reason. It only takes a few hours longer and includes the best of both options! (A lot of people worry about luggage doing this, but a porter company porterservice.no has stepped in and can transfer your bags for you.)

Personally, my favorite scenery was the area up around Finse, so I would choose the Oslo-Bergen trip over the NiN round trip from Bergen, but that’s just personal preference.

I’ve done the Norway in a Nutshell trip from Oslo to Bergen, and it’s hugely popular for a good reason. It only takes a few hours longer and includes the best of both options! (A lot of people worry about luggage doing this, but a porter company porterservice.no has stepped in and can transfer your bags for you.)

Personally, my favorite scenery was the area up around Finse, so I would choose the Oslo-Bergen trip over the NiN round trip from Bergen, but that’s just personal preference.

Thank you Kaisatsu. We ended up choosing the Oslo to Bergen. We are looking forward to a relaxing, scenic rail trip!