Maine: Portland vs Rockland?

Bilyeu5

Looking at RCCL October cruises from Boston. One week itinerary shows Portland; another it shows Rockland. Which is the more interesting to visit?

We like to browse antique shops and prefer fairly flat terrain.

We live in Portland, OR and have always wanted to visit Portland, ME. On the other hand, the date that included Rockland instead works a bit better for us.

Never have been to Rockport, so can't compare but Portland is all uphill and pretty steep.

We enjoyed Portland very much it is a quaint little town. There is a nice trolley tour that you can book independently called mainelytours. It was very reasonable and would avoid the walking. We liked it. mainelytours.com is their site and it is close to the waters edge where the ship docked. They also have a boat ride combination that we did not do, but heard from friends we met on the ship that it was worth the few extra bucks.

Where is Rockport?

Family lives in Owls Head, right outside Rockland. Although a cute and quaint New England community, you'll have a lot more options on things to see and do on your own if you go to Portland. However, if the weather's on your side (not raining), spending the day along Rockland's working waterfront is as good as (if not better than) Portland's. Smaller, more compact so you'll see more activity in one location where Portland's a bit further spread out.

Do you know if you'll be alongside the dock in Rockland or tendering from the harbor. That might also be a consideration.

Although smaller coastal cruise ships have been coming to Rockland for years, this is the first year they'll have a big cruise ship in town so expect things to be frantic around the ship's activities.

Hi looks like you are looking at Oct 3 sailing from Boston. We are on the sailing DH and I plus my sister & BIL. On another site I found All Aboard Trolly. This port is tendered.

I have seen pictures and mid-Maine looks beautiful.

I've stayed in Rockland when I took DS over to Monhegan Island for a day of exploring. http://www.monheganwelcome.com/ Rockland also has the Farnsworth museum which is nice http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/ The downtown area is a nice walking (very little antique stores) and one can see the area within the hour (minus the museum). Rockport is a small town that is a little north of Rockland (that's also a nice town with causeway into the bay and a small lighthouse).

Personally as much as I love the Rockland area, I enjoy Portland much more..... but everyone is different. Jan

Greetings from the Most Liveable City in America according to a national publication. Portland is much larger than Rockland. There are many shops within an easy walk from the port in Portland. There are hills from the port area, but nothing too steep. The more interesting shops are on Congress St between Monument Square and State St. Most everything in this area is locally owned and unique. There are plenty of restaurants in Portland, many that use local ingredients.

Hey Jan. It's been a long time.

Jan, I'm working as a social worker for a local agency. Cruising on Caribbean Princess in December with just my wife. Son is graduating high school and will be in college out of state next year.

Bilyeu5, both towns are working towns who rely on tourism for some, but not all, their well being. Portland is the largest most diverse and most important city to the Maine economy. Rockland is a much smaller town that was/is an important fishing port.

Rich - Sounds like things are working well for you. My youngest DS also graduates this year and will go to a local college ... my oldest DD spent a year in Alaska then moved back and my middle child is in Colorado while his GF goes to grad school .... he is spending his time snowboarding :rolleyes: I think they will eventually come back to Maine .......... once a Mainer always a Mainer!!

How nice that you will be cruising this year .... Ken & I will be going (just the two of us) on a southern cruise with RCCL .... We've never gone on a southern so it will be a new adventure for us.

Enjoy! Jan

• 3 weeks later...

The ship will dock at the pier in Portland and you will be able to walk to anything you want. There are many stores that are unique. No Walmarts or anything like that. Lots of seafood places to eat at sitting on a dock. Right from the pier you can walk (flat) around a walk way where you will pass a beach and can look out to other islands. There is also a "duck tour" that takes you on the streets and then in the water for a overview of Portland.

Portland is beautiful!

• 2 months later...

Live in Portland and know both towns well. Portland has so much more to offer and is very quaint. Of course, Rockland has a very good collection of Andrew Wyeth in the museum. But, Portland's Museum is world renowned. Winslow Homer, Wyeth, etc. You can also get to Freeport on a tour out of Portland and that has LLBean's/ I'd chose Portland.

Archived