Peterhof Palace

My husband and I did a private 2 day tour in 2000 and are planning to go again in 2018. We loved St Petersburg but from the different places we saw, it didn't seem like we had enough time at Peterhof Palace. Has anyone who had 3 days in St Petersburg, spent half a day there and enjoyed the gardens at least re and perhaps see more areas that are not the norm?

My husband and I did a private 2 day tour in 2000 and are planning to go again in 2018. We loved St Petersburg but from the different places we saw, it didn't seem like we had enough time at Peterhof Palace. Has anyone who had 3 days in St Petersburg, spent half a day there and enjoyed the gardens at least re and perhaps see more areas that are not the norm?

Since you will be arriving via cruise ship, I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but... over to course of several visits to St. Petersburg, I have spent many days at Peterhof (I even attended the September closing ceremony of the fountains one year - stunning). I love Peterhof park!

I am certain that if you book a private tour, you can customize an itinerary and spend a half or full day at the park.

In addition to the Grand Palace, there are many other palaces to see and the park grounds are huge. My favorites palaces include: Montplaisir Palace, Cottage Palace (Alexandria), and Marly Palace. (Bonus - although the Grand Palace is usually crowded with tourists during the summer season, the other palaces are not.) Also of note are the pavilions and the farm.

Hope you have a great visit.

My husband and I have made two trips: a 3-day stay as part of a river cruise and a 2-day stay as part of an ocean-going cruise. On our second visit, we did exactly what you're thinking about. On our first trip, we had done the interior of Peterhof and spent considerable time walking through the gardens, so we didn't either of those things again, but we timed our arrival to see the start up of the Grand Cascade. Quite spectacular! Then we drove to the other palaces on the grounds of Peterhof Park. I particularly recommend Mon Plaisir and the Cottage Palace.

If you're really into the story of the Last Romanovs, the ruins of their palace on the grounds of Peterhof Park still exist. The rubble was never cleared away and returned to a grassy field which reflected the ambivalence of the authorities. Although the Russian authorities now view their Imperial past as a great money maker, the last Romanovs were off limits for a long time. Supposedly, the palace is now being restored, but I'm not sure if guides are actually allowed to visit there.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy