Taking the train from south queensferry to edinburgh

Our family of 6 adults and 4 young children will be docking in South Queensferry in July. I am wondering what would be the best mode of transportation to get into Edinburgh. We will have two or three strollers, so going up 110 stairs doesn't sound feasible. Our ship does not depart until 11:00PM. We will certainly not stay in Edinburgh late, but will probably not want to leave the city as early as 4:30, which it sounds like is the latest return shuttle. Does the shuttle run later when there is a ship in port later? Do you think the public bus would be a good option? Is it easier to get to than the train station? What is the cost of a taxi into the city? Are there any taxis that are larger than standard sedans so that we might fit into two taxis rather than three? Thank you!

We like taking the bus into Edinburgh and would be cheap option. To get to the bus stop, you turn right as you leave the pier, through the coach park where the tours will be departing from and walk through the village centre keeping the sea on your right. You will pass the historic clock and just after that there will be a junction in the road. Go straight on and very shortly you will see two bus stops just in front of you. You would be best to take a bus from the stop on the other side of the road. The 40A is quicker going into Edinburgh (35 minutes) and the 40 on the way back. Go all the way into St Andrews Square Bus station in the City Centre. The walk would be completely level and most enjoyable seeing the picturesque village centre. I guess it would take 15 minutes with strollers. Inside cabin mentioned the day ticket and this is the info about it:

dayrider tickets

Our dayrider tickets offer unlimited travel within the chosen zone for 1 day. (A group is 2 adults + 2 children, or 1 adult + 3 children, or 3 adults. Group tickets can be used after 0930 Mondays to Fridays, anytime weekends and public holidays).

Edinburgh dayrider adult- £3.50 group- £7

Edinburgh dayrider + adult- £5 group- £10

You would need a dairyer +. I think it is £3.60 for a regular adult day return (round trip) and £2 for a child. You pay the driver as you get on the bus so you would need UK currency.

There is another longer walk up to the station avoiding the stairs but it is still up a steep hill so I wouldn't advise it.

If you use the shuttle bus you will not have to pay for children under 2 and for adults it was £10 round trip last year but we haven't had any ships in this year so far so don't know if price is the same. Knowing him as I do, I doubt very much if he would negotiate any reductions with you. The buses are so busy he doesn't need to do much to attract customers.

We can sometimes can phone for a van-style taxi for larger groups but they tend to hold 8. If you're interested in a larger van, I could look into it for you and see if there are any available locally. Taxis usually cost £25 - £30 one way depending on where you're going in the city.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Edited by tartanexile81

If we take the shuttle into town, where will we be dropped off in relation to the train station. We need to catch the train to St. Andrews for the Open.

Can you confirm you're definitely coming into South Queensferry first of all. If you are, you wouldn't need to go into Edinburgh to come out to St Andrews. You'd need to get a taxi from South Queensferry to Inverkeithing which is just north of the River Forth then you will get a train going North into Leuchars, the railway station for St Andrews. From Leuchars you will need to get a taxi to St Andrews. Going by coach would be a much easier option. Do you want me to give you info about that?

• 3 weeks later...

Arriving on EURODAM on 4th July. Have been to Edinburgh several times before but haven't seen the Britannia yet, so we would like to head there first. Is there any direct bus service from South Queensferry to Leith Ocean Terminal or is it better to take a bus or train into central Edinburgh then transfer to a bus line to Leith? Thanks in advance.

Can you confirm you're definitely coming into South Queensferry first of all. If you are, you wouldn't need to go into Edinburgh to come out to St Andrews. You'd need to get a taxi from South Queensferry to Inverkeithing which is just north of the River Forth then you will get a train going North into Leuchars, the railway station for St Andrews. From Leuchars you will need to get a taxi to St Andrews. Going by coach would be a much easier option. Do you want me to give you info about that?

We are on the Silhouette that is now coming into Newhaven. What would be our options to get to St. Andrews?

Arriving on EURODAM on 4th July. Have been to Edinburgh several times before but haven't seen the Britannia yet, so we would like to head there first. Is there any direct bus service from South Queensferry to Leith Ocean Terminal or is it better to take a bus or train into central Edinburgh then transfer to a bus line to Leith? Thanks in advance.

Sorry but there's no direct bus from SQ to Leith. I'd say either take the train if you're fit enough to climb the stairs (see earlier in this thread for photos) and take the train into Edinburgh Waverley station. From the pictures you can see what is involved in the climb and walk so you can decide if it's right for you or not. When you reach Edinburgh, leave the station by the exit signposted for PRINCES STREET. This is the main shopping thoroughfare. You leave the station by a series of escalators and when you emerge in the open air you're on Princes Street. Cross the road there and walk about 200 yards to your right and you will come to a bus stop outside the ST James Centre shopping Mall. Take the Number 22 to Ocean terminal where you will find The Britannia. It is a lovely visit. If you'd rather take the shuttle, follow the instructions on the other thread I created about the shuttle bus and follow it as far as getting onto Princes Street, but stop at the first bus stop you come to (on the opposite side of the road to the castle) and still take a number 22

We are on the Silhouette that is now coming into Newhaven. What would be our options to get to St. Andrews?

Well Newhaven is in Edinburgh so the quickest way would be to take a taxi from the port to Waverley Station then buy a combined train / bus ticket to St Andrews. The taxi wouldn't be more than £10 I wouldn't think and you'll find details about the special trains and buses here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/52576.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! This might be a silly question :p- but nevertheless - where is Newhaven?:D That is where our ship is arriving for Edinburgh, and it is a tender port. Is it close to Edinburgh?? I want to book my castle tickets and need a time, so I need to know how long it will take us to get from the dock to the castle. We arrive at 7:00AM.

Thanks for any info!!

Hi! This might be a silly question :p- but nevertheless - where is Newhaven?:D That is where our ship is arriving for Edinburgh, and it is a tender port. Is it close to Edinburgh?? I want to book my castle tickets and need a time, so I need to know how long it will take us to get from the dock to the castle. We arrive at 7:00AM.

Thanks for any info!!

Newhaven is a former port of Edinburgh and North of the city centre. You could easily take a taxi from there to the Castle or you could take bus number 47 from West Harbour Road to very close to the castle. Anybody on the bus would help you. It would take around 35 minutes.

Newhaven is a former port of Edinburgh and North of the city centre. You could easily take a taxi from there to the Castle or you could take bus number 47 from West Harbour Road to very close to the castle. Anybody on the bus would help you. It would take around 35 minutes.

Thank you for the info. I did some checking online and did see that this port is much closer to city center than the previous ports, so that means less time getting there and more time for us in the city to explore. Bought my tickets to the castle online as well - so I am ready to go!:D

Thank you for the info. I did some checking online and did see that this port is much closer to city center than the previous ports, so that means less time getting there and more time for us in the city to explore. Bought my tickets to the castle online as well - so I am ready to go!:D

Always happy to help and thank you so much for replying as sadly not everyone does!!! R

Edited by tartanexile81

• 4 weeks later...

Another question for you Tartanexile81: since the ship is coming in at Newhaven, do you think the Hoho will still make a stop nearby? I'm beginning to think that perhaps we don't need the Hoho. If we got dropped off at Charlotte Square, in your opinion do you think we could walk and see most of the sites on her own. We are good walkers, so that would not be a problem.

Also, do you have to buy tickets to the castle in advance?

Thanks again for your help-any chance you'll be at Newhaven on the 18th.

Another question for you Tartanexile81: since the ship is coming in at Newhaven, do you think the Hoho will still make a stop nearby? I'm beginning to think that perhaps we don't need the Hoho. If we got dropped off at Charlotte Square, in your opinion do you think we could walk and see most of the sites on her own. We are good walkers, so that would not be a problem.

Also, do you have to buy tickets to the castle in advance?

Thanks again for your help-any chance you'll be at Newhaven on the 18th.

Not Tartanexile81, but you do want to purchase your castle tickets online. There is generally a huge line for tickets and purchasing in advance is easy and avoids the long waits in line.

Next year we dock at Rosyth on the Pacific Princess. How does one get to Edinburgh from Rosyth? Any assistance is much appreciated.

Hi Jerry, do you remember me from Ruby Princess?

I volunteer down at Rosyth and Princess usually provides a shuttle to the railway station at Inverkeithing. The cost is, or at least was until recently, $16 round trip per person. The same trip costs £7 each way by taxi from the terminal building so if 4 of you fill a taxi that's the cheapest option. The station is about 10 minutes away and there's trains every 10 minutes to Edinburgh which take you to Waverley, right in the city centre. There's regular trains back and there's always plenty of taxis at Inverkeithing to get you back to the port.

Rosyth is quite a tricky port to get around and you're not allowed to walk around it. You'll probably be shuttled across to the terminal building (2 minutes and FoC) and there's always taxis lined up there.

Rhona

Edited by tartanexile81

Hi Jerry, do you remember me from Ruby Princess?

I volunteer down at Rosyth and Princess usually provides a shuttle to the railway station at Inverkeithing. The cost is, or at least was until recently, $16 round trip per person. The same trip costs £7 each way by taxi from the terminal building so if 4 of you fill a taxi that's the cheapest option. The station is about 10 minutes away and there's trains every 10 minutes to Edinburgh which take you to Waverley, right in the city centre. There's regular trains back and there's always plenty of taxis at Inverkeithing to get you back to the port.

Rosyth is quite a tricky port to get around and you're not allowed to walk around it. You'll probably be shuttled across to the terminal building (2 minutes and FoC) and there's always taxis lined up there.

Rhona

Yes, I do remember you. Great to hear from you. Thanks for the information. We will doing a Pacific Princess cruise next July, and desiring to attend the Military Tattoo. If you have hints about that, please let me know. Thanks again---and great to hear from you. We enjoyed that Ruby cruise a great deal.

We have decided to do the British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess, so will not be on the Rosyth side. So now all the great info here on how to get into Edinburgh is very handy, and we won't need the Military Tattoo info. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
At the top of the slope you will find a ticket machine. Providing it is after 9:30, you can buy an off-peak day return. The ticket takes chip and pin cards but you can also pay on the train if you want to pay by GBP.

Is Saturday considered off-peak? When I checked the website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ for Saturday schedule, it listed everything as £4.60 return.

• 2 years later...

I was looking for information on taking the train from South Queensferry in August. I found this and wondered if all info is still pretty much the same. The directions and pictures from tartanexile81 are so very helpful.

tartanexille81...are you still there?

I was looking for information on taking the train from South Queensferry in August. I found this and wondered if all info is still pretty much the same. The directions and pictures from tartanexile81 are so very helpful.

tartanexille81...are you still there?

Yes I'm still here!! The instructions are pretty much the same. There's always promises by the rail company to improve the path but I walked down just before Christmas and didn't see anything different. I'm going to update this thread before the start of the new season but you can use these instructions anyway.

Thanks so much! We are on the Celebrity Eclipse in August, and it looks like we will be in South Queensferry and not Newhaven, as I previously thought. So revamping our plans!! How long does the 'walk' to the train station take?

Will you still be volunteering at Queensferry again this summer?

Thanks again for all you help over the years.

Thanks so much! We are on the Celebrity Eclipse in August, and it looks like we will be in South Queensferry and not Newhaven, as I previously thought. So revamping our plans!! How long does the 'walk' to the train station take?

Will you still be volunteering at Queensferry again this summer?

Thanks again for all you help over the years.

I've checked my schedule for 2018 and yes as it stands at present you're in South Queensferry. August is our busiest month with ships in every port most days so don't know yet if I'll be on duty in SQ or not