Three wheel scooters

ranchette

We are renting a scooter from Care vacations. According to the internet ad it says the scooter will fit through the doorway in any standard cabin. Is this true? Has anyone rented this before?

Which one is it? Give us a name/model number, if you can.

Generally scooters won't fit through cabin doors, but some of the very small ones might...

I agree most 3 wheel scooters will NOT fit through standard cabin doors NOR is there anywhere to store or use it in a standard cabin.

Honestly CARE VACATIONS should know better than that and should NOT be giving out such information.

If it is a smaller travel type scooter it MAY fit through the door but you still have the other problems and scooters CAN NOT be left in the halls no matter what either rental places or even reservation agents tell you.

It is against safety regulations and most ships are now vigorously enforcing it. I wish they all did all along it has always been a major pain for me in my scooter or WC to try to get past these scooters left thoughtlessly in the halls by guests who don't normally use these things.

[Don't ask me about trays of food left in halls either, but that is another whole topic]

Basically if you are planning to rent a scooter you also need to plan to get an HC cabin.

I did a quick search and there are some travel scooters that are 20" that would probably fit through the door (standard door openings are 24"). I would guess the problem with these three wheeled scooters would be trying to turn them from the narrow hallway into a door way that would be only a few inches wider than the width of the scooter.

Plus the storage factor would come into play, where would you put them in the stateroom that would be out of the way? There is never much floor space in a regular not accessible staterooms!

I did a quick search and there are some travel scooters that are 20" that would probably fit through the door (standard door openings are 24"). I would guess the problem with these three wheeled scooters would be trying to turn them from the narrow hallway into a door way that would be only a few inches wider than the width of the scooter.

Plus the storage factor would come into play, where would you put them in the stateroom that would be out of the way? There is never much floor space in a regular not accessible staterooms!

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the issue of turning in to a room with one. Those hallways are very narrow. I'm not sure I could do it in a wheelchair (assuming I could get through the door .. and I know I couldn't!)

We are renting a scooter from Care vacations. According to the internet ad it says the scooter will fit through the doorway in any standard cabin. Is this true? Has anyone rented this before?
I rented one a couple weeks ago, it was a Pride Go Go and I had a HC cabin. Even if it fit thru a regular door, and I don't think it will, there would be no room to store it in your cabin.

A year ago I was on the Vision of the Seas. Had a standard inside cabin. Rented a 3 Wheel Pride Go Go Elite Traveler from Care Vacations. Had no problem driving it through the standard cabin door. The trick was to get as close to the opposite hallway wall to be able to make a full wide turn.

In addition I had the cabin steward remove the coffee and always make certain that the desk chair was completely pushed in under the desk. This way I could make a 3 point turn in the cabin and drive the scooter back out the door. Rather than trying to back out of the door.

There were several people in our group that had the same scooter, they all came by after dinner to see how I did it as they couldn't beleive. I even had stranger asking me to demostrate how I got it into a standard room. The Cabin steward made note so they could instruct others how to do it on future cruises.

At night I would line the scooter up as close to the desk as possible and with the coffee table removed there was plenty of room to still move around the room. Also the seat on the GO GO turns so my friend and I just used the go go rather than the desk chair when needing the mirror.

Important this doesn't work if for 4 wheel Pride Go Go's as they need a wider turning radius.

Good Luck ! :)

I have a full sized 3 wheel but it does make incredibly tight turns turning radius is 35" I can do a complete turn around in a grocery isle without having to 3 point it. but it is also 26" wide at the widest point which in this case is the padded arms.

Whatever you do, read the fine print and make sure the company guarantees the width and model of the scooter. I have had several reader complaints (not about CARE vacations) where the company does not; and in the case of one company they specifically state this in their contract.

Candy

I rented a GoGo three wheeled scooter through CareVacations for my March 29 cruise and it did NOT fit through the standard cabin door. I had to keep the scooter in my sister's Celebrity Suite, which has very wide doors. I posted advice about this a few weeks ago, advising everyone who has a scooter that unless you are in an HC cabin or a larger suite (the scooters will NOT fit in Celebrity's Sky Suites), CareVacation scooters will not fit through the doorways. And, you absolutely cannot keep them in the hallway. They take up more than half the hallway.

Candy, the scooter I had "thought" I rented through CareVacations was supposed to be a certain kind of scooter, and it was written like that in the contract, but when the scooter arrived, it was not the one I contracted for. I called and was told it was all they had left.

well kitty, apparently since renting scooters is becoming so popular, I think there may be a supply issue. Hence your experience. Which is somewhat distressing as i hadn't had any complaints on CARE Vacations about this issue before.

And in the end when you get a scooter that won't fit in your room and the ship is sailing, it's not like you have a lot of recourse at that moment. I would expect at least a partial refund for the trouble though.

So i guess if you rent a scooter, to be on the safe side you need to reserve an accessible cabin. Otherwise it may be a royal pain if you only "get what is left".

Candy

On a similiar note a few years ago I rented from scootaround for a cruise 10 night S. caribbean. I had a HC cabin so no problem there problem was a faulty battery that would not hold a charge for more than a few min. I ended up without the use of it for the entire cruise. Suffice it to say I demanded and got my money back and a huge discount should I choose to rent from them in future but that did not give me back the ten days of very limited mobility.

Care Vacations told me (twice) that they have a contract with the cruiselines, and the scooters have to be under a certain size. I think it was under 22", to fit in the door. I haven't been able to get a hc cabin, but did rent the scooter after being assured by two different people it would fit in the door.

In our case, my two daughters will be with us, and they can either take it apart to get it in, or fold down the seat to do it. Care Vacations said they can't tell me that it's a Go Go, but yeah, it is. So, we shall see.

I think I'll call them today, and ask for it in writing that it will fit through the door....

Mona

If the scooter doesnt fit through the door where do you park it? We are going on the Carribean Princess and have a balcony room.

Where you park it will depend on whether you have cruise staff that will break their rules and allow you to park it, and then they'll have to tell you where -- as you'll need to be near an electrical outlet so that you can plug it in and keep the battery charged. And then you'll have to worry about it being used as a "jungle gym" by kids, or someone playing with it, or tampering with it. And of course you might have to have someone else in your party prepared to "park" it, then fetch it when you need it.

Often the "parking space" is near the elevators, where it becomes a real magnet for people to play with it while waiting for the elevators to arrive. Good luck!

Care Vacations told me (twice) that they have a contract with the cruiselines, and the scooters have to be under a certain size. I think it was under 22", to fit in the door. I haven't been able to get a hc cabin, but did rent the scooter after being assured by two different people it would fit in the door.

In our case, my two daughters will be with us, and they can either take it apart to get it in, or fold down the seat to do it. Care Vacations said they can't tell me that it's a Go Go, but yeah, it is. So, we shall see.

I think I'll call them today, and ask for it in writing that it will fit through the door....

Mona

Believe me, they will tell you anything, and it doesn't necessarily have to the the truth. I've rented scooters through CV for at least 8 trips, and none of the scooters they gave me could have fit through a regular cabin door, and if they did, you couldn't get them past a certain point in the cabin (usually just inside the doorway), but then there's absolutely no room to get the scooter to a place where it wasn't in the way or close enough to charge it.

As for breaking it down, there's no real way to do that with some of their scooters and folding the seat doesn't work either. Believe me, I've tried everything.

You don't say what your individual situation is and who needs the scooter and how mobile they are, but if you have not been able to get an HC cabin, please cancel the scooter and take or rent a folding WC if you have anyone who can push one.

You are very likely to have no end of problems otherwise onboard and if you try to take it off as well.

Mona

Look at it from there point of view. They are trying to sell you something, albeit something that will be delivered straight to the ship. If it does not fit, you will still use it im sure, you'll be a little pissy, but you'll still use it, and probably won't complain to them when you get home because after all, you did use it.

It's kind of a win-win situation for them, regardless, they know they cannot possibly get someone another scooter if the one they give you does not fit cause your on a moving vessel. So they know you will just make do and deal with it.

That's how i see it at least.

It's my mother who needs the scooter. We have a folding wheelchair that we are bringing, but would like her to have more independence on board. It sounds like I can't trust Care Vacations to be forthright about the scooter....

We have an opportunity to buy a used Go Go Elite from a friend, and may do that. We know it comes apart, have tried it. It sounds like that may be the better way to go, and then she'll have the scooter for at home, too.

I really appreciate all of your advise, since we haven't cruised with Mom before!

Mona

It's my mother who needs the scooter. We have a folding wheelchair that we are bringing, but would like her to have more independence on board. It sounds like I can't trust Care Vacations to be forthright about the scooter....

We have an opportunity to buy a used Go Go Elite from a friend, and may do that. We know it comes apart, have tried it. It sounds like that may be the better way to go, and then she'll have the scooter for at home, too.

I really appreciate all of your advise, since we haven't cruised with Mom before!

Mona

That is your best plan though it will still be a pain if you have to disassemble it every time you go in the cabin. I know what you mean about independence on board makes a huge difference.

I rented the Pride Go Go on my last cruise and it was great except it got hung up on some door jambs. I've been researching one to buy and I see the Pride Rally 3 wheel scooter is 21 inches wide and has a floor clearance of 3 inches instead of the 2.6 on the go go.

My husband rented a scooter (I believe it was a step up from the GoGo) for our cruise/tour to Alaska about 5 yrs. ago. We sailed on the on Holland America's Statendam and had a standard outside cabin and he was able to manuever it through the doorway. However, when we boarded the ship the scooter was waiting for us and the room steward said we could park it outside the doorway. That was ok for the first night but the next morning he said we had to park it down the hallway out of the way as it was in the way in case of an emergency. So that's what we did. THE NEXT MORNING we were told to park it by the elevator as there was a plug there and we could charge it there. By now our cruise is half over and my husband decided he would park it in our cabin as it was more convenient. More convenient for the rest of the ship as we had to manuever around and over it to get to the bathroom! Next time we will book a handicap room and hopefully there will be enough room for it in the room without being a gymnast to get to the bathroom.

This is a great forum and comments are very enlightning! A brief clarification. We keep in very close communication with all Cruise Line access desks and regulatory bodies in terms of exactly "what" we need to provide for guests and what restrictions are in effect. The most applicable restriction is the width of the scooter and can it fit through a standard cabin door.

For purposes of adhering to these regulations and providing the absolute best product available, we're converted our entire fleet of over 700 Light & Mid Size Scooters to the Pride Gogo product. These scooters can accommodate up to 300 lb's. Width of this scooter is 21.125". Standard Cabin door width is 24" with 23" usable after calculating for the actual opening available. Having cruised many times (more than I'd like to count), I'm the first one to say that even though the scooter fits through the doorway, the trail may end there, depending on the stateroom type and configuration. Unfortunately, we can only assess the compliancy of the scooter type based on "maximum width of the scooter and the doorway width".

I'll also say that our people are not perfect but human. They can err from time to time, but we are very open and receptive to comments, concerns and complaints. We do listen, read and watch in our efforts to make things a little easier for those who need the help.

Forums like this are an incredible tool in exchanging info, opinions and honest advise. Way to go and keep it up!:)

Archived