Puntarenas. Does any know if we can get a tour when we dock at Puntarenas?

PC Skier

Our cruise arrives in Puntarenas in 2 weeks (Oct. 14 2017) and we have done the rain forest before on a ship tour . This is their rainy season so we thought we would wait to get a tour when we dock. So my question is will we be able to get a tour when we dock. Thanks, :)

Our cruise arrives in Puntarenas in 2 weeks (Oct. 14 2017) and we have done the rain forest before on a ship tour . This is their rainy season so we thought we would wait to get a tour when we dock. So my question is will we be able to get a tour when we dock. Thanks, :)

You will see several tour sellers on the,dock and on shore. Some have pre planned tours and others will go where you want.

Take it for what is is worth...Charlie, the guide we found on the pier in Puntarenas, told us that only tour providers with the 'proper' insurance were allowed to solicit on the pier. And I know that Costa Rica has a system for licensing tour companies.

We had a fabulous tour with Charlie, but I cannot remember the name of the company he worked for. All I remember is the row of scars from stitches he received as a young man when he was feeding the salt water crocs for the tourists.

Take it for what is is worth...Charlie, the guide we found on the pier in Puntarenas, told us that only tour providers with the 'proper' insurance were allowed to solicit on the pier. And I know that Costa Rica has a system for licensing tour companies.

We had a fabulous tour with Charlie, but I cannot remember the name of the company he worked for. All I remember is the row of scars from stitches he received as a young man when he was feeding the salt water crocs for the tourists.

We have used both tours from the pier and shore.

The difference doesn't seem to matter as,we have had good tours from both. Also, the taxi and van drivers will give you the tours you request at good prices.

• 6 months later...

Yes you can find great tours right when you get off the ship. We made the mistake of walking down the pier only to find out that we had to walk back to where the ship was docked to find all the private tours. They except US $. Small interdependent vans are the best because they will customize the tour for everyone's . Such as lots of shopping or not much shopping. Our guide took us to his friend's home to show us the red macaws in their trees. It was free no charge.

• 3 weeks later...

We took an all day tour with Gio Tours for $69 per person and it was money well spent. They have a website. We saw monkeys-one climbed onto my shoulder and showed great interest in my ipad. We went on a 1.5 hour river boat ride and saw multiple crocodiles and birds. We ate fresh fruit and had a smoothie at a roadside stand. We stopped and saw tucans and macaws in their natural habitat as the guide saw them while we were driving down a road to the river. Our guide provided lots of insight and was obviously really into the tour and not just going through the motions.