Help! No show vs Cancellation of 2nd Passenger on NCL Double Cabin?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:49 AM.
Philly burbs, PA.
11,502 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Typical with most cruise lines, as you are so close to the sailing date whether you cancel or not there will be no refund for your friends cruise cost, therefore they will not reprice your fare. Your friend will lose the money they paid less excursions, port fees, and taxes, which should be refunded.

The same would hold if your friend has insurance that would reimburse their cost since the cruise line will remain whole with the fare. So unless NCL has different post final payment cancellation policies regarding repricing, I don't think it would make a difference either way. Your fare should remain in tact, and unless they have insurance, your friend will lose their money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Reflection 6/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Philly burbs, PA.
11,502 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Cadillac2017
Just go solo, I am. Yes I had to pay extra money for having a cabin to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
But are you going solo as a result of a cancellation of an intended 2nd passenger or paying the premium from initially booking as a solo? Part of the OP's question is regarding paying the premium as a result of repricing their fare due to the cancellation, which I don't think occurs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Philly burbs, PA.
11,502 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Thanks for clarifying.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

19,628 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
No need for your friend to cancel. You don't even have to inform them when checking in. Some travel to the port separately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Connecticut
12,379 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by easyboy
No need for your friend to cancel. You don't even have to inform them when checking in. Some travel to the port separately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
This seems like the wisest approach

Of course the notion of paying "...200% more..." as expressed by OP is absurd. Rarely is the single supplement anything more than 100% - and often a lot less.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
southern NM desert
11,750 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Maglalakbay2017
Our cruise is three days away and my friend can't make it. Should she cancel and I end up paying 200% more or just not show up at all?

Thanks!
If your friend has insurance and can't make it because of a covered reason, friend needs to cancel in order for insurance to pay.

If you have insurance and your friend is covered, then depending on what your policy covers if you're charged Single Supplement your insurance should refund difference.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal

NCL Jade: b2b Dec 17, 2018 - Jan 4, 2019

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Philly burbs, PA.
11,502 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by NMLady
If your friend has insurance and can't make it because of a covered reason, friend needs to cancel in order for insurance to pay.

If you have insurance and your friend is covered, then depending on what your policy covers if you're charged Single Supplement your insurance should refund difference.
Whether the friends fare is paid by insurance or not, the cruise line remains whole as it will not refund any money, so why would a single supplement be charged? As I mentioned in my first post, along with not charging the supplement, they would in fact return any money prepaid for excursions along with port charges and fees which they now would not incur. Unless they have a cancellation policy that allows for a supplement to be charged - which IMO I believe would be rather unique in the industry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Connecticut
12,379 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Of course the cruise line does not just see each fare as half of the cabin cost: they look forward to the onboard spending of two people in a two person cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Jerez, spain
1,482 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
The single supplement is based on the use of the second person . You will have a cabin for yourself, however there will be no refund.

Since the cabin is paid in full, you won't be charged a single supplement. But I would call NCL directly and advise them you may be going at it alone.

I travel solo all the time. When booking I always ask if someone were to join me...... the answer is the same port taxes and tips will be added. This is when I am paying the extra 100% supplement.

I just don't get why the don't charge a flat rate for a cabin based on double occupancy and extra for the additional in cabin. It would clear up all the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northern new jersey
399 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by navybankerteacher

Of course the notion of paying "...200% more..." as expressed by OP is absurd. Rarely is the single supplement anything more than 100% - and often a lot less.
Wrong
Chicago
9,622 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Your friend will be a "No Show" .... loses the cost of the cruise, you're covered so no problem. Unless the friend wants you to pay the fare back to her.

Just check in and start having a good time!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)

Melbourne area
903 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
i paid my fare and as if i paid for a second person on my cruise as a solo, my choice to do and it was a balcony i could have done inside cheaper but as i love fresh air and seeing the waves i wanted the balcony
as your friend paid theirs doubt you will pay any more then what you did due to them pulling out late and not sure if they pulled out earlier when it could be refunded whether that would have changed??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Philly burbs, PA.
11,502 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Hawka
i paid my fare and as if i paid for a second person on my cruise as a solo, my choice to do and it was a balcony i could have done inside cheaper but as i love fresh air and seeing the waves i wanted the balcony
as your friend paid theirs doubt you will pay any more then what you did due to them pulling out late and not sure if they pulled out earlier when it could be refunded whether that would have changed??
If they cancel prior to final payment and are issued a refund then the single supplement would of course be charged as you would then be a solo passenger with only on passenger's fare of the double occupancy received by the cruise line. The option to being charged in that case would be to add a second passenger and have them pay the second fare.

It's very simple - as stateroom fares are based on double occupancy, the total revenue needed by the cruise line per stateroom is the fare based on two passengers in the room. If one cancels with no refund, they remain whole so no additional supplement is charged. If one cancels and money is refunded, they need to make up that difference and the supplement would be charged.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Melbourne area
903 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
If they cancel prior to final payment and are issued a refund then the single supplement would of course be charged as you would then be a solo passenger with only on passenger's fare of the double occupancy received by the cruise line. The option to being charged in that case would be to add a second passenger and have them pay the second fare.

It's very simple - as stateroom fares are based on double occupancy, the total revenue needed by the cruise line per stateroom is the fare based on two passengers in the room. If one cancels with no refund, they remain whole so no additional supplement is charged. If one cancels and money is refunded, they need to make up that difference and the supplement would be charged.
Cool thanks for the explanation

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fredericksburg, va. USA
84,343 Posts
Joined May 2001
Since you're WAY past and refunds, you would owe nothing more. They have the money for the 2 of you...you would not be asked to pay more.
Connecticut
12,379 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by meadowlander
Wrong
Care to explain?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,