Same-ship texting?

So...hoping to avoid the walkie-talkie manners concerns I'm thinking of using cell to cell texts to keep in touch with the rest of the family on an upcoming FOS cruise.

Does anyone have any recent experience using their cell phones to send text messages to others on the same ship? I'm worried that it may take a while to get texts...is it as quick as on land or will it take a while to arrive? In this cas eit would be cross carriers as well.:confused:

You can avoid the need to text if you make tentative plans for the day...that way, everyone will know where to find everyone else! It's really not as difficult as you might think! Plan to "meet up" at certain times for a meal or snack....and a note in the cabin if plans change works wonders and costs nothing!

We had a usual / Favorite spot on the ship and just left not in the cabin if we moved on. Its crude but cheap and works. if you cell is on then you will pay for other incoming txts and calls.

Stu K

If you are OK with the charges per text for each phone (50 cents out and 5 cents in for Verizon), it will work. BUT, if you have smart phones be sure your data roaming is turned OFF at all times....otherwise you will have a nasty surprise when you get your next bill. That is not a concern if you have "plain" phones.

We will be using texts sparingly (but only when we leave the ship) on our upcoming cruise since we will have a group of 7 who will be often headed in different directions.

Usually pre-pay phones don't work with roaming and "Cellular at Sea" will be classified as a roaming tower.

Texting should definitely work, but as said, pricey. Also, those text fees can add up, especially if high-volume texters keep it up with their contacts on the mainland.

When I called Verizon, they told me to call them before ship leaves and they will go over all setting on our iPhones in order to make sure all is off that should be off, to avoid additional charges. They also said to not answer any texts other than the ones of those you are communicating with on board.

So...hoping to avoid the walkie-talkie manners concerns I'm thinking of using cell to cell texts to keep in touch with the rest of the family on an upcoming FOS cruise.

Does anyone have any recent experience using their cell phones to send text messages to others on the same ship? I'm worried that it may take a while to get texts...is it as quick as on land or will it take a while to arrive? In this cas eit would be cross carriers as well.:confused:

I can't speak to the timing involved as I've never tried, but your messages don't just travel from phone 1 to the ship's tower and back to phone 2.

They travel from phone 1, to the ship's tower, to the satellite, to the base station on land, to phone 1's provider, to phone 2's provider, to the base station on land, to the satellite, to the ship's tower, to phone 2.

Text messages aren't very big, but you can see there's a lot of points for a communication link to break down. And all that hopping around is why they charge $0.50/message.

We have ATT and they charge 50 cents to send a text and no charge to receive a text. Hubby and I use this method to keep in touch onboard and there has never been a delay onboard or even among family on shore when sending/receiving texts.

Definitely make sure your data roaming is turned off though. I have an iPhone and text messaging still works when data roaming is turned off.

Archived