Do Columbia River cruises sail mostly at night?

Allboatsfloat

newbie here. Considering a Columbia River cruise. My main goal if I do it would be to SEE the scenery along the river while sailing, not just while we’re docked for shore excursions.

Asking those who’ve done the Columbia River cruises: Do the ships mostly sail from point A to point B at night after dark or am I likely to see a lot of the river while we’re underway, and not only while we’re docked?

Asking those who’ve done the Columbia River cruises: Do the ships mostly sail from point A to point B at night after dark or am I likely to see a lot of the river while we’re underway, and not only while we’re docked?

My experience, based on 2 cruises with the UnCruise company: Definitely the latter - little or no sailing after dark. Scenery is gorgeous on both Colombia and Snake, by the way -- good thing they don't sail at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this with Lindblad Special Expeditions more than 20 years ago, and I think they are still using the same ship. Lots to see, sailing during the day and going through locks. Highlight for our teenage boys were the windsurfers in the Columbia River Gorge. Was really educational with great lecturer/naturalist. Used Zodiacs to get us into many spots. Jet boat of some kind up the Snake River. We will never forget that wonderful, albeit brief, cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Uncruise a few years ago and they sailed both during the day AND at night. Had the experience of going through the locks day and night. They get you up on deck to see and experience everything. You won't miss a thing.

Here is what the American Queen Steamboat Company says about their Columbia river cruises "Our voyages on the Columbia and Snake Rivers are specifically tailored to maximize daytime river cruising for optimal viewing of spectacular scenery and iconic highlights such as the Columbia River Gorge. As you cruise past the fertile fields, impressive mountains and vertical canyons, you will bear witness to the precious land just as it appeared to Lewis and Clark in 1805 – majestic and unimaginably glorious."